Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the black finish on the roller handle?

Hello all, brand new RL 550B owner here, ordered from Brian. I received my kit yesterday and am working on getting it set up today. When I got the box containing the accessories and aluminum roller handle, I saw that the curved elbow of the handle had punched through the bottom of the shipping box and looked like it had been dragged across a concrete floor. It is scarred up and the finish is removed down to bare metal. I was planning on smoothing it up with some fine grit sandpaper and then refinishing it, but I wanted to ask what kind of finish this is before I started. Is the steel blued? Is it a spray on finish? I was thinking I'd just use some flat black Krylon or something, but if it's blued I could pick up some cold blue at the store today. I do have one of those "Super Black" Birchwood Casey touch-up pens, but those are advertised for use on aluminum so I'm not sure how well that would work.

My guess is the aluminum is anodized. Call Dillon. Most likely they will send you a new one free of charge.

This isn't the aluminum roller part, it's on the black steel rod at the 90 degree bend. I would call Dillon (are they open today?), but I figured a can of Krylon or some cold blue was cheaper than what it would cost to ship it back...

Edited by Hammerdown77

This may all be a moot point. I tried to put the roller handle assembly into the press, and it just would not go. I was turning it back and forth trying to get it started, and all that was doing was tapping threads into the aluminum of the press :surprise:

The straight handle drops right in, though. I'll be calling Dillon tomorrow about getting another roller handle assembly.

I've loaded several hundred rounds of .45 ACP now, and this thing is fantastic :cheers:

Edited by Hammerdown77