Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Memphis Charity Challenge

well we've decided on when. Already had the where. and you know why !!!

The 2011 Memphis Charity Challenge will be held at the same range as the last two (Memphis Sport Shooting Assn) Memphis TN.

We'll be supporting LeBohneur Childrens Hospital again.

It will be November 4 and 5. with the 6th as a rain date if needed.

The friday shooting will be Range officers and anyone who can't shoot on Saturday.

10 stages again, lots of shooting (around 250 rounds as usuall)

Plan accordingly. Price will be the same as last time. Entry forms will be ready in March if not sooner.

Hopalong

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the latest Front Sight Magazine, it has an article articulating the issues facing Revolver Competitors, especially at the National Level. It should be required reading for anyone interested in National Level Revolver Competitions.

Sam the dream has now found some new personalities to help along a better Revolver Nationals.

I like the idea of a Single Stack/Revolver Nationals.

That idea would lend itself to splitting up the Nationals Formats into 3-2 Division Contests. I doubt if it would take any more effort

than the existing formats. But may meet with some resistance from the hardcore Single Stack competitors.

One of the reasons Sam started pushing the Memphis Match was to show the true desire of Revolver Competitors for a National Event.

So if you like the idea, let USPSA know and head to Memphis in November to support it.

It's been a great match the last 2 years and drawn in between 68 and 75 competiors.

The Wheels just keeps turning oh so slowly, but it's still turning.

The Memphis match was my 2nd Revolver match I ever shot - I got hooked fast. Everybody was helpful if you asked and I truly enjoyed the stages.

One of the guys on my squad was Matt Griffin. Since I was new to the revolver world, I had no idea I was shooting with a GM - my husband & I even told him that he was doing a pretty good job - pretty funny after I found out he was a GM. What a nice guy.

I'm definitely planning on going again this year.

Cheryl

The Memphis match was my 2nd Revolver match I ever shot - I got hooked fast. Everybody was helpful if you asked and I truly enjoyed the stages.

One of the guys on my squad was Matt Griffin. Since I was new to the revolver world, I had no idea I was shooting with a GM - my husband & I even told him that he was doing a pretty good job - pretty funny after I found out he was a GM. What a nice guy.

I'm definitely planning on going again this year.

Cheryl

There's no angry shooting with a revolver. I think it's because we don't have to worry about running really fast or cleaning our magazines between every stage to avoid pasting targets. ;) I had fun shooting with you too, Cheryl.

Matt

One thing I think that made the 2009 Memphis Charity Challenge a success was the level of marketing it got. We pushed and prodded one another to show up, and to bring others. I did not see that level of marketing and excitement for 2010. We really need to bring it back for 2011 and shoot for 100 shooters.

Some random thoughts on things we can do:

1) Push, prod, cajole, threaten, etc everyone you know with a wheelgun to shoot.

2) Market the match! Maybe flyers to take to ICORE and IDPA matches.

3) Get Sedro Wolley to support the match more. Maybe throw in a number of Revolver National slots. Some for the prize table, some for charity raffles, etc. I mean the actual slot itself costs USPSA nothing.

4) Get Jerry/Cliff/Matt/Devon to teach a class the day/2 days before the match. Revolver-specific GM training is very hard to find.

We also need to foster competition between the manufacturers. Right now we are almost a 1 gun sport. Find someone with the contacts to get Ruger's attention. Taurus' too. maybe even Chippawa. Competition between manufacturers means better sponsorship, prize tables, equipment and since all already produce revolvers its not like we want a new gun.

If someone has contact info for Chiappa, I'd love to talk to them about the Rhino. I loves me some innovation, and they're active in SASS so not completely anti-competition. I'd be glad to teach a class, and not just at Memphis, if someone can get enough revo shooters together at once. Of course by the end of this season you might be clamoring for a new set of instructors . . .

H.

.........We also need to foster competition between the manufacturers. Right now we are almost a 1 gun sport. Find someone with the contacts to get Ruger's attention. Taurus' too. maybe even Chippawa. Competition between manufacturers means better sponsorship, prize tables, equipment and since all already produce revolvers its not like we want a new gun.

In the for what it's worth file, Did you realize that the top Super Senior may have been shooting a Ruger? Hop correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Roger (I shoot Rugers) Reid won Super Senior at the 2010 Match and using Speed Loaders. Later rdd

Bubber,

That's cool. But what I am talking about is going to Ruger, with that kind of info, and getting them to do a special run of 4" GP-100s pre-cut for MoonClips with maybe an extended cylinder release of some kind or a 4" Redhawk in 45LC/45ACP. Almost no real additional cost to Ruger and they can market it as supporting the shooting sports. Compete against the 686s or 625s. Taurus would be more difficult since all their 44/45 revolvers are 5 shot and the 38/357 are 7 or 8 shot.

And Chippawa.... well beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Like I said, more competition among the manufacturers means better things for us as shooters.

Actually whenever you have a captive clientele it stifles competition. Why should S&W even worry about it when it's what every body already uses.

I'd like to see a Ruger, Kimber or some other .45 Revolver in competition.

Maybe a .40 caliber Ruger?

If that would start who knows what could happen.

Bubber,

That's cool. But what I am talking about is going to Ruger, with that kind of info, and getting them to do a special run of 4" GP-100s pre-cut for MoonClips with maybe an extended cylinder release of some kind or a 4" Redhawk in 45LC/45ACP. Almost no real additional cost to Ruger and they can market it as supporting the shooting sports. Compete against the 686s or 625s. Taurus would be more difficult since all their 44/45 revolvers are 5 shot and the 38/357 are 7 or 8 shot.

Like I said, more competition among the manufacturers means better things for us as shooters.

When Ken Jorgensen went from S&W to Ruger, I hoped something would happen. But, Ruger's policy with their parts would have to change.

Bubber,

Yea Roger has been talking with KJ of Ruger and one of the things they were contemplating at the time was a 45. It has been a while though. The Ruger Cylinder release is not bad at all, and let's face they are built hell for stout. Roger has been doing some work on his Medium frame Ruger and it is slick. He will be at the IRC wiht his Ruger competing in the Classic division, (speedloaders) Hope to see more of you guys there, I will problably need your help keeping him humble. Later rdd