Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to mount the 650

Just built a bench for the 650. However, I was not able to mount it right due to I forgot to move the flat board overlappnig (flash mount)the bench which is 2x4.

I tried mounting it without the strong mount but the end or back of the roller handle is hitting the 2x4 face board without completing the cycle.

Any suggetions will be greatly appreciated.

I have not tried it with the strong mount but it would not probably work too due to the back of the handle will the hit the face board or the flat board.

Desperately need your help. Thanks in advance.

By the way, I can't change the bench as it is a 12 foot bench.

If you don't want to notch the front of your bench and don't want to add the height of a strong mount, you can mount the press to a slab of something-- plywood or 2x12, then attach that to the bench.

Strong mounts only work if they are mounted very close to the front of the bench. That or you can notch out the wood a little. You can also do it without the strong mount if you notch out the wood. I had to do that on both of my benches.

Turbocomp38s- I had the same problem on my bench. The face board stopped the handle. I tried notching it out to no avail. I ended up buing 2x12 decking and putting on a super sturdy top. I left a 1 1/4" overhang to bolt the press down with. It worked great with no strong mount.

I mounted a piece of 2x6 to the top of my bench, so that it sticks out a little past the front of the bench. Then, I mounted my 650 onto the 2x6. It works great for me - because my bench worksurface is 40" high, a strong mount would have made my 650 too tall to operate comfortably.

Bruce

I took some pictures that may be helpful to anyone that wants to setup a press but has limited space.

Here are some pictures of my reloading press setup. I had a small room set up in my basement set aside as my reloading room but unfortunately I had a water pipe leak in the basement and although it didn’t get the press wet it made things messy. I had to take everything apart in the reloading room, but because I plan on putting my house up for sale in the next few weeks and I didn’t want to go through the trouble of making a new reloading room. Fortunately my house has the space of a three-car garage. It consists of an oversize two-car garage that was added to the house that I use it to park my cars in. I also have the space of the one car garage that was part of the design of the original heated one car garage that the house was built with. I now use it as a workroom and to keep my snow blower, and lawn mower and assorted tools. I cleared away a small spot in my garage and bought a small table from Sears for $39.99 (less 10% if you have a Sears tool club card)Sears item #00922201000. I like it because it is adjustable for height in 2-inch increments. Plus you can rest a foot on the bottom cross bar for added stability. I set it to 28 inches, which should allow me to sit on a stool and reload comfortably. I’ll have to load some rounds and see if I have the height set right.

I think this may be the quickest easiest way to get set up again. If anyone is tight for space this setup can be put up and broken down for storage when it isn’t being used. I think that when I finally move to a new house I will continue with this set up.

The first picture shows the press with a stool next to it to give you an idea of how comfortable to use sitting on a stool

The second photo shows a picture of a 2X4 that I used as a wedge to add downward pressure to the bench and give added stability.

The third picture shows the method I used to add downward pressure to the board, by turning the adjusting nuts I can add as much force as I need to make it a solid platform. The Vicegrips shown in the picture aren’t necessary but I added them because I had them in my toolbox and I figured it wouldn’t hurt to have them there to prevent the assembly from jackknifing.

The forth picture just shows an extra board that I added to make sure the boards would rest on the ceiling beams and not push through the sheet rock.

If someone else is thinking of putting in a press but is putting off because they have limited space these pictures may be helpful.

90Dillon_one-med.jpg

90Dillon_two-med.jpg

90Dillon_three-med.jpg

90dillon_four-med.jpg

Thanks a lot for another good idea. This really helps.

Silvervette - Thanks for taking time taking these pictures. Goodluck on your new house. Don't forget to invite us for your housewarming.

And to all who responded, thanks for all the great ideas. DVC

I haven’t even put up my house for sale yet, or decided where I will wind up living, I am leaning heavily toward Pensacola, but I have to fly out there soon to check it out. I talked to a real-estate agent in Pensacola and she said it wouldn’t be hard to find a place where I can just walk out in the back yard and shoot in the Pensacola area. Wherever I wind up I want enough property to set up a pistol range in the back yard. As far as mounting the press goes, just remember that although the bench your press is on must be rock solid there is no need to build the entire bench to hold heavy loads. Believe me when I tell you when I tighten up the screws on the turnbuckle the press will not budge. The first bench I made had to be taken apart because of the leak in the basement was very solid but it was a little unsteady on the up stroke that sets the primer. The upstroke is very important because if the setup isn’t solid you will get high primers. If you discover a high primer after the bullet is set the only safe thing to do is pull the bullet. The small bench is actually more solid on the up stroke than the big bench I made. I hope to be someplace warm before next winter and if I wind up close by you are welcome to come over and make some holes in some paper.

Something you may want to do if you get a strongmount is to reinforce the sidewalls of the strongmount to eliminate outward flex during press operation.

I got the strong mount for my XL-650 a while back and while loading I noticed it building an oscillation from the high center of gravity of the machine. While watching it closely I saw that the side walls of the mount were flexing out and acting as a spring.

The solution was a piece of all thread, a few washers, and a few nuts. I drilled the center hole of the strong mount faces to accept the 3/8" all thread, then used the washers and nuts to pull the sides toward each other and hold them in tension. Now the press is AT LEAST twice as stable in operation and the casefeeder isn't swinging wildly back and forth.

OpnBlstr:

I have noticed the same thing about the oscillation and flex in the strong mount. It is particularly a problem if you hae a good strong bench.

I hadn't yet taken the time to figure out the solution, so THANKS.