Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mainspring Housing - Flat vs. Arched

BismarckC

I have a Para 16/40 that I shoot in Limited which came with an arched mainspring housing. I have small hands and on those stages where I shoot weak-hand or strong-hand only I do not feel like I have a good grip. I need to find someone with a flat mainspring housing pistol to shot for comparison. However, I am curious-would a flat mainspring housing make the pistol easier to hold. I know practice will also help but I thought there might be some technical information/opinions available.

I have medium-sized hands, and never felt comfortable with arched MSH.

I changed the one I had on my SS Colt 1911 with a flat Smith and Alexander (with magwell), and asked for a flat MSH on my SVI.

Even if at that time I didn't bother to experiment with the different MSHs, I feel that an arched one will result in the gun pointing a bit upwards when I grip it, thus forcing me to flex my wrists to correct POA, giving me the uncomfortable feeling of an innatural (for me) grip.

What I usually hear is that an arched vs. flat MSH makes the gun point different vertically (muzzle down and up).

That Para is pretty thick gripped. I think many would benefit from removing the grips and replacing them with skat-tape.

I'm gonna spill the beans on an inside tip I got from BE. If neither flat nor arched works for you, you can get a wedge housing, then file on it until it's "just right." Obviously, this wastes the checkering, but that's fixed in 30 seconds with a piece of skateboard tape.

Fortunately, a flat MSH works for me right now.

My hands are very big, so since I own SVI guns I always used arched MSH's. I couldn't (live) shoot without them, they work FOR me!

DVC, Henny.

PS. Very difficult to get those arched MSH's for SVI over here in Europe. <_<

The arch isn't hard to find, the wedge is no longer made however. STI sells the arched, I got one through Chuch B. at Shooters Connection.

I've playing around with arched vs flat for awhile now. This weekend I had the arched in.....shooting fast on the move the gun pointed high for me. Why I even bother messing with stuff I don't know, I've been shooting a flat for like 7 years.

Dave Dawson will be producing arched and wedged in the next couple of weeks. Spoke to him on this last weeks and ordered a arched.

Use the arched on all my guns. With a high hold, I feel that the arch makes the grip fit into my hands better.

• 4 weeks later...