Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor man's powder check system

BigDave

When I first started loading on my 650, the press, for some reason (still unknown to this very day) would not drop powder in certain brands of 40 brass. Well, I didn't have a real Dillon powder check, so I just stood up and looked at every case as it came off of the powder die to see if powder was in the case. Well, this sucked, cause I like to sit for long loading sessions.

One day I picked up a small mirror (~2") on an 18 flexible shaft, like the ones mechanics use to see difficult places. I zip-tied the handle to the stem of the casefeeder and bent the shaft so it looks right down the #3 hole on the toolhead. Basically, as you see it in the photo is my view as I sit at the press. I can see right down the case and verify that each case has powder. The Mini-Mag light shines down through the center of the toohead and illuminates the entire shell plate.

P6160095_1.jpg

The one in the photo is indeed black. The flashlight is shining right down on top of it giving it a brass look.

Guys!!! Its the mirror!!! The mirror!!!

True it is the mirror. BUT the shiny brass bolt is just sooooo alluring that we cannot think of the cool mirror thingy ma bobby at this time. Please check back when we get over that.

Ahhhhhhhhh shinnyyyyyyyy brassssssssssss boltttttttttt thingyyyyyyyyy

LOL

Paul Franklin

Dillon touts the 650 as a fast loader and we all brag about how many rds we can load in an hr. Just stop a minute and think about that shell plate spinning at who knows how many RPM on that steel bolt, sparks are bound to be just a spin away and all that gun powder. I think dillon owes us all a nice shiney brass bolt. Just for the public safety you understand. Larry

Discretion certainly is getting the better of me here, but you, you people... <_<

Larry - the maglight just sits there, its not perfectly centered because it can interfere with the powder bar

Discretion certainly is getting the better of me here, but you, you people... <_<

Larry - the maglight just sits there, its not perfectly centered because it can interfere with the powder bar

Ok I think we are over it now. LOL. That is a pretty cool Idea. You were one of the McGyver(sp) fans. I can tell. LOL. Again cool Idea. Thanks for posting it.

Happy Shooting

or

Happy looking into your mirror.

Paul Franklin