Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there such thing as an ideal IDPA gun?

On The Edge

IMO for the vast majority of action shooters the difference between a good Glock trigger and a good 1911 trigger doesn't translate into significantly better performance during most shooting problems.  There is so much more to a shooting platform than the trigger.  For that matter there is so much more to action shooting in general than the trigger pull.

tightloop,

LOL.  Just saying what vincent said.  A simple tune-job on a glock trigger and a shooter is in business for these action pistiol games (the stock Glock trigger sucks though).

----------

Steve,

What gun doesn't have a safety???

Vincent,

I respectfully disagree, I put 7500 rounds thru the  first MOd 17 I owned trying to learn the trigger.  I would do doubletaps at 12 yds and it would be an A and a C almost every time.  With my 1911 it is two A's almost every time.  Unlike TGO or some of the folks who post on this forum, I cannot afford to give up points everytime I am confronted with a doubletap situation.  I applaud those who can manage the Glock trigger, but I see more who cannot learn it than those who can.  

It is a great battle pistol.  I just can't get it.

Its not the gun, its the shooter.  If you look at the production/SSP results from any the of past matches you will see a large cross section of guns including Para, glock, sig, beretta, s&w, etc.  At the FGN, the top 4 production shooters all shot different brand guns with a total of 3 different trigger types.  

Some people simply shoot one type of gun better than others.  The familarity of the shooter with the gun of choice is the most important aspect.

• 3 months later...

hello, i have a sig 226 9mm, which i absolutely love, light recoil, and extremely reliable, but i just bought a 1911 in .45acp, i am also a new shooter to idpa, will i be handicapped in anyway, shooting my new 1911, for this is the reason i bought it, not only for idpa, but personal carry protection, any replies would be appreciated.

gunfighter,

One of the best things you can do is take your new blaster and shoot some competitions with it.  You will learn your gun and what works well with it.

Don't limit yourself to IDPA...shoot everything you can.  All the different games give different perspectives.