Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

vortex pst 1-4 showed up today...

rc2125

Well, I have just gotten one of these, so can't give any longer term opinion, but here are my initial thoughts -

Only had it out to the range once, but so far, very very impressed. Glass is beautifully clear, reticle is nice and very usable both close up and at distance, and the turrets are excellent. Think it is great value for money. Eye relief seems to be very forgiving. The whole scope has a really solid, quality feeling to it, IMO. The only area where it falls down slightly is regarding the illumination - IMO, the low settings are too low, and the high settings not high enough. As far as I can gather, I'm probably not alone in that viewpoint. None of that really detracts from the usability of the scope, however - it is so sharp and clear that even with illumination off and just using the black it is no problem at all, especially on IPSC targets. I will probably just run it without illumination 90% of the time, to be honest.

Mine is working out great, it's a fantastic optic for what I do. It's been banged around in the utv driving around the property like every other day, dragged thru the brush while coyote callin(turrets stay put), covered with ice/snow/rain(no fog/leaks), retains zero(much dialing for out to 700yds), glass is truely excellent for the price(still crystal clear). Did have the magnification adjustment freeze up one morning, it was 1 degree when I left the house that morning. There is a very small "loose spot" when turning the mag adjustment, hasn't got any worse and it's barely noticeable. Best I can tell, also the american defense mount returns to zero very well, as it's been off the rifle many times and still lands rounds within the moa dot(great mount!). Recently sold the rifle I had it on, not sure why yet (got an acr to try out, probably not a keeper?), but regardless, I don't think I'll ever get rid of that scope! It's riding on the acr now, haven't had too much time to shoot lately,

Edited by rc2125

Got mine today too. rc2125 is correct, it is not daylight visible outdoors. It was heavily overcast today, with a white pallor over everything, and the reticle was only barely illuminated at 10. In brighter sunlight, it would be a black reticle.

Overall impressions:

1) It's 1.25X, not true 1X, by my estimation. But it's a very clear, sharp 1.25X, with no fishbowling or occlusion.

2) The glass is outstandingly good for this price range. Very, very clean at 4X with a nice, large field of view.

3) Turrets seem kinda large, but with the upcoming HS version, that'll be solved. I'd love them to be 5mm shorter--still enough to grab with gloves on, not tall enough to knock into things as easily.

4) The zoom ring is blocked somewhat by the brightness knob. Makes it hard to rapidly switch magnifications without a cat tail. But a cat tail might not do much, as it the zoom ring is very stiff.

5) The reticle is super clean and very easy to use both up-close and far out. I love how fine and sharp the stadia lines and crosshairs are. The outer, broken circle is just about the right size and thickness so that it never gets in the way of the target but draws the eye quickly.

6) Eye relief is phenomenally generous. I have mine mounted all the way forward in a Larue SPR-E, and I shoot nose-to-charging-handle. It seems to have about 3" of eye relief--almost as nice as my TA33.

7) Turret operation/features are very nice for a scope in this price range. The little accoutrements like the fiber optic markers, etc., are especially sweet.

Had mine for two weeks. Starting to get used to it. My only concern was related to eye relief. You're right that it is generous. My issue is that it requires me to be pretty far back on the stock. I too shoot "nose to charging handle" and for me, I get distortion through the scope when I'm that close, particularly on 4x. I have it mounted as far forward on the upper rail as possible (no rail on my hand guard to go further). I'm learning to hold my head further back when using the 4x setting and with that everything works great. Clear glass. Great reticle. Easy adjustment. A true winner at that price point.

You can get a great mount at the Vortex Website too , its can be adjusted with out tools, and the price is rite.

I am able to look around the scope better with it farther out away from my eye. shooting both eyes open on midrange shots.

Get thee a cantilever mount Gruyere, and your problem will be solved! Bobro, Larue or ADM offer suitable quick detach ones, JP offers a good fixed one.

Good advice. Now I just have to terms with spending $200 on a mount for a $500 rifle. Kinda like having a $2000 stereo and $5000 rims on a beater.

One other thing you might try doing is putting both scope rings behind the turrets. Looks a bit weird and I wouldn't try it on bigger heavier scopes, but on smaller ones it works. Won't give you as much forward leeway as a proper mount, but could possibly tide you over.

Get thee a cantilever mount Gruyere, and your problem will be solved! Bobro, Larue or ADM offer suitable quick detach ones, JP offers a good fixed one.

Good advice. Now I just have to terms with spending $200 on a mount for a $500 rifle. Kinda like having a $2000 stereo and $5000 rims on a beater.

BRO! The scope and the mount will out last four guns. get a good mount or you may wast your time with practice

BRO! The scope and the mount will out last four guns. get a good mount or you may wast your time with practice

Good point. I'm ordering the JP now...

Thanks for the kick in the right direction!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the JP. Works like a charm for a better sight picture...prone OR standing. The only issue (small at that) is that it raises my bore offset by about 3/4". Really not a big deal, but worth mentioning. Overall worth the $$. Great advice!

Got the JP. Works like a charm for a better sight picture...prone OR standing. The only issue (small at that) is that it raises my bore offset by about 3/4". Really not a big deal, but worth mentioning. Overall worth the $$. Great advice!

That could have been what your problem was to start with. most of the mount put the scope very close to 2.75" above the center line of the scope. Less than 2.5" on an AR and I think most any one will have problems getting down to the scope.

most rings give the amount above the rail as the hight but for good ranging you need to know the exact amount above the center of the bore. one time you need that is when you have to shoot the gun sideways at 100 - 125 yards

Got mine today too. rc2125 is correct, it is not daylight visible outdoors. It was heavily overcast today, with a white pallor over everything, and the reticle was only barely illuminated at 10. In brighter sunlight, it would be a black reticle.

Overall impressions:

1) It's 1.25X, not true 1X, by my estimation. But it's a very clear, sharp 1.25X, with no fishbowling or occlusion.

2) The glass is outstandingly good for this price range. Very, very clean at 4X with a nice, large field of view.

3) Turrets seem kinda large, but with the upcoming HS version, that'll be solved. I'd love them to be 5mm shorter--still enough to grab with gloves on, not tall enough to knock into things as easily.

4) The zoom ring is blocked somewhat by the brightness knob. Makes it hard to rapidly switch magnifications without a cat tail. But a cat tail might not do much, as it the zoom ring is very stiff.

5) The reticle is super clean and very easy to use both up-close and far out. I love how fine and sharp the stadia lines and crosshairs are. The outer, broken circle is just about the right size and thickness so that it never gets in the way of the target but draws the eye quickly.

6) Eye relief is phenomenally generous. I have mine mounted all the way forward in a Larue SPR-E, and I shoot nose-to-charging-handle. It seems to have about 3" of eye relief--almost as nice as my TA33.

7) Turret operation/features are very nice for a scope in this price range. The little accoutrements like the fiber optic markers, etc., are especially sweet.

It sounds like to me that you do not have your ocular adjusted correctly. The PST is absolutely a true 1x, you can actually get it to go below 1x ,unless you have 10/10 vision, by having the ocular focus adjusted too far in. I would guess that you may have yours too far out. Also you should have around 4" of eye relief at a minimum(different eyes vary), this also could be affected by not having the focus adjusted correctly. If for some reason you dont think you are getting a true 1x after readjusting the diopter please let me know.

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for posting that, I recently picked up a Viper PST 1-4x and it was making me think I was crazy because the 1x setting seemed to be more like 0.8x! I will go adjust it now.

Otherwise I LOVE the scope, the reticle is amazing and so is the glass. IT has nice repeatable, positive clicks on the turrets, and the MRAD/MRAD stadias and turrets are SO easy to use together. I am also a huge fan of the .2 MRAD clicks, they are course enough to make quick changes, but not too course.

My only wish is that the illumination was a bit brighter, but it is no big deal, it is very usable as is.

No problem, just happy to help. As far as the illumination goes- it is a lot trickier than one might think. There are a couple of ways to go about it, but your basic(most popular among mfg's) illumination will not get you a swaro bright type brightness. You can use the traditional basic illum if you make a big fat thick reticle,like some are doing, to get it farely brighter,but it is still not truly daylight usable.There are also a couple other pretty cost effective ways to get bright illum ,but they severely limit your reticle choices(some of you might know which scopes use this type). We are working hard on devoloping a way to get that real bright illum that we feel is also durable,but If we do I can pretty much guarantee it will not be in a scope that is less than a thousand dollars.

Scott