Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag release problems

Qstick

STI open gun 38 super with STI tubes. 4 work great, 2 are nightmares. Brand new grip and magazine release.

I just got through removing the material on the button side fo the mag release where the tubes were ovviously hanging up. Now (and before) 2 magazines release very inconsistently. There does not seem to be a pattern to the hang-ups. The magazines won't drop free when pushing the button with my strong hand thumb, however, if I release the weak hand from the grip and push the release button, the mag drops right out. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks,

Zach

Might not be the mag catch, might be the tube dimensions. Not all tubes are the same dimensons. If you have calipers, measure the front to back and side to side of the ones that work. Then measure the ones that don't. You will probably find that the ones not droping are a little bigger.

Qstick,

a common problem with plastic grips is that, when the owner removes material from the bottom of the trigger guard, in the area near the mag catch, the grip becomes sensible to grip strenght.

I mean, plastic is somewhat flexible, and if you are gripping your gun with your "crush-death grip", chances are that the plastic will flex and drag against the mag being ejected near the nag catch area.

Test your magazines drop while gripping real hard your gun and while gripping it very lightly: I guess this will reveal the cause of the mags hang-up.

Thanks Warpspeed -

I don;t know why I didn't think to measure all the tubes :unsure:

That is exactly what was going on. A little persuasion in a vice and things are again working quite nicely. Thanks again for all the help,

Zach

• 2 weeks later...

:o I had a problem with a highcap magazine not dropping free from a STI Competitor.

A friend spotted that the magazine was out of square. I squared it using a vise and wood to protect it and it now drops free.

I still am having a problem with the magazine that came with the firearm. When it has rounds left in it it is hard to get out of the firearm. It won't drop free when it is empty, but pulls out easily.