Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Formula 1 is back

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure being Italian is nice a la Ferrari, being German is nice a la BMW and Porche, but Detroit Iron is cool too. Can you call BMW and buy a crate engine for your 7 Series with 573cubes and 670 hp? I think NOT. You can for your GM tire burner.

No you don't see any Chevys running with the F1 cars, but you don't see any Mondials competing in Pro Stock either...

It's all good...

We WERE talking about Formula 1 right... :huh:

(sound of the Italian National Anthem playing blissfully in the back of my mind) ;)

Keep your crate motors, I'll take 18,900 rpm's SCREAMING down past the grandstands.

Scuderia Marlboro Ferrari #1 ;)

A couple years ago there was a segment on 60 Minutes profiling Michael Schumacher. He makes over $80 million a year, which is more than Jordan was making (according to the story). F1 has over 300 million fans worldwide. What impresses me the most is that F1 drivers really are drivers. Going in circles at 160-220 mph is one thing (and a feat very few people are capable of), but controlling a 700+ hp rocket through the twists and turns of an F1 course is a thing of pure beauty to my eyes. I liken F1 to USPSA Open class.

What impresses me the most is that F1 drivers really are drivers. Going in circles at 160-220 mph is one thing (and a feat very few people are capable of), but controlling a 700+ hp rocket through the twists and turns of an F1 course is a thing of pure beauty to my eyes.

This is even more true if you think they are driving those beasts through the narrow streets of Montecarlo, instead of a track! ;)

Guest bulm5
A couple years ago there was a segment on 60 Minutes profiling Michael Schumacher. He makes over $80 million a year, which is more than Jordan was making (according to the story). F1 has over 300 million fans worldwide. What impresses me the most is that F1 drivers really are drivers. Going in circles at 160-220 mph is one thing (and a feat very few people are capable of), but controlling a 700+ hp rocket through the twists and turns of an F1 course is a thing of pure beauty to my eyes. I liken F1 to USPSA Open class.

The BMWs are pullng in 900+ HP accdg to sources...teh ferraris are a little less but has the superb handling.

Guest bulm5

I fall asleep when I watch those folks going in circles. Power slide through the corners baby!!!!!

I thought what was kind of funny is that on that 60 Minutes show, Michael said his favorite daily driver car was a BMW M5 (not that there is a damn thing wrong with that either). Considering his sponsor, I thought that to be a bit odd.

At the Brickyard, standing on the outside of the track with just a concrete barrier and a wire screen seperating you from the track. You are near the strip of bricks watching the Formula 1 cars come out of the last turn as they blast it down the straightaway. They are full on and they "end" their corner right in front of you as they edge right up to the wall in all their screaming glory.

An unforgetable memory of mine from the practice before the first Indianapolis F1 race. I went to the race too. Cold and rainy, the three other people with me were hating it. I thought it was great.

as much as I am not a big fan of NASCAR, Dale Jr. and Tony Stewart made a hell of a good showing at the Rolex 24 hours of Daytona. I think they can drive pretty good. And Jeff Gordon pulled some good Lap times at the Indy road course with Montoyas BMW.

I did love the one comment there though.

(paraphased)

F1 announcer: "so what do these cars redline at?"

NASCAR announcer: "around 9000 rpm"

F1 announcer: "Thats about what the BMW F1 car idles at"

A Ferrari 1-2 in Australia. No better way to start the season if your a fan of the Prancing Horse. ;)

No more exciting moment in motorsports can be found ( in my opinion obviously) then the "standing start" and the run into the first corner. ;)

Better that F1-racing, lets go to Le Mans with Audi&Porsche, durability is what counts.

Hopefully Porsche re-enters F1 again, because F1 is getting a parade. It's always Ferrari No.1 and the rest follows, it's time for real competition.

I'm not against Schumacher (who is really a great driver) and Ferrari (they build great cars) but where is the competition? <_<

DVC, Henny.

lemans used to be worth watching, before the ruined the circuit and went back to underpowered cars. kinda like watching IDPA as opposed to Open division...bring back group C and get rid of the chicanes on the mulsanne!!!

There was a time when Alain Prost called the Ferrari he drove "a truck".

It wasn't always "peachy keen" in Marinello.

It's GREAT to be back on top again...in such DOMINANT fashion. B)

As for the rest , fret not...they're working hard to play "catch-up".

I'm enjoying it while I can...no one stays on top forever. :unsure:

No more exciting moment in motorsports can be found ( in my opinion obviously) then the "standing start" and the run into the first corner.

It's particularly exciting when you are one of them. Absolutely one of the most stressful things ever. Especially when you're mid-grid.

I think I read that a F1 has a couple thousand pounds of Downforce so when you let off the gas you get a 1 or 2 G's of free braking, via the drag, throwing you forward. Man that's some reverse performance and driving skills. Hard to concieve.

You're right Outerlimits, (No Limits),

Let go back to the old days, Quote: Porsche 1970 Typ 917L: English racer Vic Elford called this Porsche 917 longtail a "monster" but loved it. He tamed the monster well enough to take it along Mulsanne flat out at 245 mph at night in the rain without lifting from the gas through the 'kink', a slight right bend (no chicanes).

The 917 exemplified the coming of the end of an era in motorsports without LIMITS!

Much better than modern days parades!

Henny.

PS. What downforce, just a simple rear-wing setup! and a hero at the steering-wheel

I'll give credit where credit is due, Michael Schumacher is the PREMIER driver in Formula1. Some might argue (and correctly so in my opinion) he's the best ever.

That in and of itself does not mask the fact that the cars coming out of Marinello are the best "product" available for him to drive. If they weren't ...he'd be driving somewhere else. There isn't a driver in the series that doesn't wish to drive for Ferrari (an Italian company).

That's where MY Italian pride comes from...we have the best car out there...and have had for some time now. ;)