Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

car alarm

ErikW

Ah... that is what the long coat hanger is for , you may wish to tape it up to the tip,

from underneath the engine compartment reach up and carefully guide the tip of the coat hanger to the top of the battery terminal (this was in the mid 80's when engine compartments were not as cramped) the victim was a Lincoln town car

at the time I had a cohort/ roommate who helped out from the wheel well where we could place it securely enough to stay until discharge

Now if you have one of them german forin jobs the battery is in the trunk. . .and I would recomend 12 ga. slugs.

my Legal counsel has advised that this is for entertainment use only . . .I never did this . . .I never lived in Sherman Oaks, CA . . .I am not now and never was here!!!

Oh and he also advised to wear gloves as car batteries have enough amps to hurt and cause injury, And to wear your range ears if the alarm is going off during surgery.

Now as a growed up responsible "Adult" if I was confronted with this challenge

I would get Two rolling Floor jacks and ever so gently raise up said car and very carefully roll it into the middle of the street, wipe off any fingerprints and sweaty DNA evidence and stroll to the nearest phone to inform the local constable about a traffic hazard.

Yes I own two rolling floor jacks but I use them for entertainment purposes only!

Rob Boudrie is on the right track with the expanding foam. I suggest determining where the loudspeaker horn is and filling that entire area of the vehicle with expanding foam through a slot in the grille. When it flows out from every orifice of the engine compartment you are done. This should get a positive result without doing anything but standing in front of the vehicle for a few moments. No invasive techniques, or tampering involved. An engine compartment full of this stuff is not going to be a pretty thing :P

If you just want to give him hell without destroying his car, try emptying an ABC fire extinguisher into the engine compartment through the grille.

--

Regards,

Try the note first. Had the same problem with a van across the street that would simply chirp a couple dozen times a night.

Wrote a note threatening to call the police. They fixed the alarm problem and got rid of the van shortly thereafter. Call the cops a couple times, too.

Failing that, however, I'd suggest something akin to Tyro's suggestion, but with these: http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1..._3030&SKU=77730

I think a simple disconnection (read: hack out the siren) would be a good thing, as well. There are definitely more cathartic ways to deal with it, but ending the problem that way might be less of an issue with Johnny Law.

I don't want to steal Erik's thread, but today I was looking at buying a new car and I asked the salesman if I could order one without an alarm. Apart from thinking I was nuts, he checked and told me there'd be a surcharge. Go figure.

Frankly they're no use these days. People ignore the sound during the day and they hate them going off at night.

To make matters worse, have you ever gone to dinner, parked your car, then come out to find that your remote control battery has gone dead, and the type of battery they use is not available at your local 7-11? Been there, done that, didn't have a whole lotta fun driving home with the alarm blazing.

Luckily since I live in Hong Kong, the Police who saw and heard me didn't pull me over because I guess they figured a Westerner was not a car thief <_<

What's especially entertaining are the alarms built into cars that you don't know about. I went to go get a hat out of a buddy's new Chevy pickup and used the key to open the passengger side door.

"Alarm! Alarm! Alarm!"

He didn't even know the damn thing *came* with an alarm. It wasn't declared anywhere on the sticker.

There oughta be a law....

Petroleum Jelly under the door handle.

An entire tube of super-glue inside his driver-side key hole.

Anti-seize compound on the wiper blades (He'll never notice until it's too late).

Potato jammed inside the tail-pipe.

My personal favorite. 4 mysteriously loosened valve stems.

Put a small chock under the passenger side rear tire if he backs out.

Throw a gallon or two of used oil under his car, that'll have him pulling his hair out.

It might not solve the problem, but it might give you a little chuckle now and then.

Tape fish to exhaust pipe under car.

Fill tail pipe with expanding foam, it won't stay in forever but it will build up some pressure before it lets go.

Table Tennis ball into fuel tank. It floats around and causes all sorts of hell with the fuel pick up when you run low. Very hard for mechanic to detect without removing entire fuel cell.

Break into car and install an opossum. Relock to retain opossum properly.

Lift car just of the ground on chocks to make sure traction is impeeded.

Coat car entirely in break fluid, battery acid etc etc etc.

Many cars have intake low to ground, if easy to reach fill with expanding foam.

Fill the car fresh air intake with your dog/cat/pet excrement.

Better if it's not totally solid... you know... that "fan effect" inside the car might be quite exilarating if you get the chance to observe it from the other end of the road... ;)

Erik, try this. Find out where this person lives. (Take down the plate # and get an LEO buddy to run it.) Go knock on the door, look them in the eye, smile, and introduce yourself. Explain that you are a neighbor and the alarm is keeping you awake. This is the important part: Ask them to help you get some sleep by fixing the alarm.

Call back in a few days and thank them. If it happens that she's single and cute, send flowers.

I'll bet the person isn't an @$$hole at all. They're probably just a bum like me that knows nothing about car alarms.

I agree with Sam but this photo might humor some of the more extreme responses.

Its a test burn we did for an arson seminar we put on CT. The irony is that yes the alarm will eventually be toast (along with everything else) but while the car burns you'd be surprised how long the siren will sound, the horn will beep, the windows will go up and down. In addition, the tires and the air bags blow out with a good pop. I think I have the total burn as an mpeg somewhere.

sdlfire.jpg

Its my favorite fire photo. I love the flames circling the left front tire and the molten window falling.

Steve

Erik, try this. Find out where this person lives. (Take down the plate # and get an LEO buddy to run it.) Go knock on the door, look them in the eye, smile, and introduce yourself. Explain that you are a neighbor and the alarm is keeping you awake. This is the important part: Ask them to help you get some sleep by fixing the alarm.

Call back in a few days and thank them. If it happens that she's single and cute, send flowers.

I'll bet the person isn't an @$$hole at all. They're probably just a bum like me that knows nothing about car alarms.

Who let the Voice of Reason in here? :P

This is the Hate Forum!

:D

After Carol's car was broken into in our driveway last fall we had Alarms installed in her car and my truck. The dealer we used asked us about sensitivity, and we told him that we didn't want it going off for every car with noisy pipes rumbling down the street, or for thunder and lightning storms, or for high winds. They adjusted it as requested, and it takes quite a tap now to set either car off. Either car would be immobilized if the alarm goes off --- you'd basically need to bring a flatbed trailer. I don't want to pass a law against car alarms; I do want to pass one against owners/installers who can't set one up with the proper and considerate amount of resistance to normal events....