Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

blind reloads

BigDave

While dryfiring today, I was fumbling my reloads pretty bad in terms of getting a consistant grip/finger position on the mag to reload, gun angle, etc.  So, what I ended up dong was simply indexing the gun, dismount and release the mag, catching it, pulling it back 4-5" and reinserting it with the proper grip, etc.  I did the repeatedly about 50 times to get the "feel" of what a proper mag change is like for me.  What I noticed however, is that towards the end of that run of 50 or so, I wasn't looking the magwell or the mag, but the lightbulb I was using for an aiming point during my draws.  

Has anyone done a reload blind during live fire or in a match?  I know we are all taught to look at the reload,  and doing it blind certainly could increase the catastrophe factor, but there are so many other things we do while shooting (the draw comes to mind) that we never look at, why is the reload different?

I do blind ones all the time in practice and sometimes in matches. I wish I wouldn't, but I do when I lose focus, and they are worse than the ones when I look at the white dot on the inside of the magwell then back at the target.

You can watch the draw is you want, I feel the holster when I draw so I guess I am seeing by braile. If you watch the draw you will find it doesn't really slow you down. The eyes are VERY fast.

The only time I'd intentionally do a blind load in a match was if I had to keep track of something while loading. But then sometimes the load would go in so blazingly fast that I didn't see any part of it. (UBL) ;) This would typically happen if I had to look for an exact spot to move to when loading as leaving a position; sometimes the load would be in before my first foot/step touched the ground. I'd always let my eyes help, however, if time permits.

be

Don't stay too close to the lightbulb. Staring too much at bright light may cause temporary blindness.

Seriously, everytime I do a reload on the move (w/c is a lot with my 1911SS) I only remember a "freeze frame" of the mag with the top partially inside the mag well after the COF.  I can't remember a time that I did not look at the reload but vaguely remember events where my spare mag is on the ground together with the ejected mag. Maybe those were the times I wasn't looking.

There's another thread somewhere mentioning "How to shoot fast and Accurately" video, and there's a perfect example there.  It's a clip from the '87 Nationals, a "stand-n-shoot" with targets all over the place, and a required reload between banks of targets. The clip is Burner doing a "no look" reload, no movement, and he blows it!  Only a small bobble at the mag well, but he had to hesitate a fraction, look at the mag well to realign, then finish the reload. Faster than most probably, but still, he blew it. That was my cue to give up on the blind reload.

• 16 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:37 AM, jklt222 said:

Yup. I am new to the forum and have been looking at all threads new and old. I dont pay attention to the dates. Guess I will have to. 

I have been following Stoeger on reloads and it seems to be working for me. I am consisting hitting 1.25 to 1.5 reloads shot to shot. My weekly routine (dryfire) includes:

Drill 1 - .6 par time - good sight picture. At beep, retrieve mag and touch insertion point (mag well). goal should be already inserting mag.

Drill 2 - .6 par time - mag touching mag well. At beep, insert mag and get a good sight picture. No trigger involved.

Drill 3 - 1 second par time. good sight picture. At beep, reload the gun and pick up a sight picture.

I usually run them back to back to back then start over. The repeat over again.

I firmly believe, as we all know, the key is consistency. Bring the gun back to the exact same spot. Bring the mag up to the same spot. Gun goes back to the same spot (index). etc. etc.

Best advice that I have been given is that if you can get your reload done in 2 steps than move on to another task. The key is getting there. Break each task down (into chunks) then put it all together. If all that makes sense.

13 hours ago, allamericanbp said:

I have been following Stoeger on reloads and it seems to be working for me. I am consisting hitting 1.25 to 1.5 reloads shot to shot. My weekly routine (dryfire) includes:

Drill 1 - .6 par time - good sight picture. At beep, retrieve mag and touch insertion point (mag well). goal should be already inserting mag.

Drill 2 - .6 par time - mag touching mag well. At beep, insert mag and get a good sight picture. No trigger involved.

Drill 3 - 1 second par time. good sight picture. At beep, reload the gun and pick up a sight picture.

I usually run them back to back to back then start over. The repeat over again.

I firmly believe, as we all know, the key is consistency. Bring the gun back to the exact same spot. Bring the mag up to the same spot. Gun goes back to the same spot (index). etc. etc.

Best advice that I have been given is that if you can get your reload done in 2 steps than move on to another task. The key is getting there. Break each task down (into chunks) then put it all together. If all that makes sense.

I have Stoeger's 2014 Dry Fire book,  would you recommend getting Dry Fire reloaded (2017)?

• 1 month later...

I shoot Single Stack and as you know we do many reloads. Last weekend in one of the RO's commented after a stage I shot he said you never looked at your reload... I never realized that I didn't look.

I shoot Single Stack and as you know we do many reloads. Last weekend in one of the RO's commented after a stage I shot he said you never looked at your reload... I never realized that I didn't look.

Did you tell him you wipe blind too when you finish taking a poo.