Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Racker Placement

Sarge

I had dinner with some open shooters last night and spent a few hours talking about guns, mags, etc. The topic of putting my slide racker on the strong hand (right) side of the gun came up. I'm new to 2011's and was wondering if it would be wise to do this until I learn to keep all my moving parts out of the way of the guns moving parts.:surprise:

I've posed the question to my gunsmith to see what his thoughts might be on the subject as well.

Does it make sense or is it a little too much caution?

Too much caution...it won't be a problem.

It's faster on the left side (for a righty) and props the gun better for table starts. I know, I know, somebody, somewhere will swear that they have the racker on the opposite side, and that they're just as fast as everybody else, but it's farther your hand has to move from touching the racker, to reestablishing your grip. R,

Guys, he doesn't mean for any length of time. He's talking about maybe for a month or so till he gets used to making the switch from a Glock Prod. pistol, to a full boat open gun. I suggested he take it off, or simply flip it over to the RH side until he can learn to keep all moving parts inside the vehicle at all times.

:)

(I learned the hard way after getting my thumb smacked HARD one time, and I never "flew my thumbs up" again!@) :roflol:

Edited by Chris Keen

Too much caution...it won't be a problem.

It's faster on the left side (for a righty) and props the gun better for table starts. I know, I know, somebody, somewhere will swear that they have the racker on the opposite side, and that they're just as fast as everybody else, but it's farther your hand has to move from touching the racker, to reestablishing your grip. R,

+1. The extra distance both to the racker and then back to the weak hand grip are time consuming. You will find yourself canting the gun counter clockwise to put the racker in a more upright position which will also take time. Too much hand and gun movement .

Pat

Pat

Hello: I would leave the racker off for a while then put it on the weak hand side. That way you will be able to rack the slide without the racker and get used to the racker using your weak hand. I hit my thumb twice at the nationals this year with the racker. It wasn't that hard on my thumb :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I'd take it off before I'd put in on the right side...no need learning something only to change it a month later. Honestly, I've never thought it was all that hard to keep my thumb(s) out of the way, and I've handed my guns to lots of people that have never shot an Open gun before, and I don't recall anybody hitting their thumb...mostly Glock shooters at work. I've gotten a bad grip and clipped my thumb, but didn't think it was all that big a deal...maybe I have tough thumbs :roflol:

I'd take it off before I'd put in on the right side...no need learning something only to change it a month later. Honestly, I've never thought it was all that hard to keep my thumb(s) out of the way, and I've handed my guns to lots of people that have never shot an Open gun before, and I don't recall anybody hitting their thumb...mostly Glock shooters at work. I've gotten a bad grip and clipped my thumb, but didn't think it was all that big a deal...maybe I have tough thumbs :roflol:

Well, like I said ...... Kevin shoots a Glock, now. Therefore I was just trying to look out for the guy, and thought I'd make a simple and easy way to avoid any hurt thumbs or hurt feelings for the 1st few weeks.

And, no, there's a big difference between "clipping" your thumb, and hitting it dead on. Everybody learns quick, should you ever hit it even once. I did. I've never had a problem getting my thumbs up right off the draw, but one time, right after a reload, I didn't get right back on the thumb-safety with my R thumb, and 1 shot later ... BAM. The gun stopped, and so did I. For about 5 minutes. ;)

Chris, perhaps your slide racker has some upsweep to it, but I run a "straight out the side" type racker on my gun, and it leaves no room for mercy.

But I don't see what he would be "learning" by putting the slide racker on the RH side temporarily. If you're using your slide racker DURING a COF, and you're constantly reaching up to rack it, then you my friend, have gun problems. And a slide racker being on the left, right, top or bottom of your gun isn't your big concern. Your jamming gun is. So fix that, then move on. I'm talking about just to load and unload the gun, prior to, and after shooting the stage. And I'm only talking about 2, maybe 3, or 4 weeks of it. Just enough to learn the ropes in 2011/open guns, and move it back. I don't see that as a "learning process". More of a "training wheels" kinda thing.

Take it off if you must. But respect the power of a fast moving hunk of metal when it goes back on, all the same. :closedeyes:

What would moving it or taking it off do? Leave it on learn to hold the gun correctly right from the start. Why take it off shoot the gun for a while put it back on get your thumb whacked and then learn to hold the gun right?

I would put it where it belongs and deal with it.

Why waste time learning to run it on the right only to change it to the left??

I started out with a Quinn racker and hit it quite often grabbing the pistol, dry fire draws made the problem go away.

Good Luck

Well, like I said ...... Kevin shoots a Glock, now. Therefore I was just trying to look out for the guy, and thought I'd make a simple and easy way to avoid any hurt thumbs or hurt feelings for the 1st few weeks. Well, like I said, I've handed Open guns with rackers to a lot of Glock shooters, who are extremely inexperienced from our perspective, and nobody has ever hit their thumb. I'd suspect Sarge would be a lot more likely to handle a switch than someone who shoots 1,000 rounds year and has exactly one gun.

And, no, there's a big difference between "clipping" your thumb, and hitting it dead on. Everybody learns quick, should you ever hit it even once. I did. I've never had a problem getting my thumbs up right off the draw, but one time, right after a reload, I didn't get right back on the thumb-safety with my R thumb, and 1 shot later ... BAM. The gun stopped, and so did I. For about 5 minutes. ;)I didn't say there wasn't a difference :blink:

Chris, perhaps your slide racker has some upsweep to it, but I run a "straight out the side" type racker on my gun, and it leaves no room for mercy. Is this about your racker or Sarge's? ;) Has he said what model he's going to use?

But I don't see what he would be "learning" by putting the slide racker on the RH side temporarily. If you're using your slide racker DURING a COF, and you're constantly reaching up to rack it, then you my friend, have gun problems. And a slide racker being on the left, right, top or bottom of your gun isn't your big concern. Your jamming gun is. So fix that, then move on. I'm talking about just to load and unload the gun, prior to, and after shooting the stage. And I'm only talking about 2, maybe 3, or 4 weeks of it. Just enough to learn the ropes in 2011/open guns, and move it back. I don't see that as a "learning process". More of a "training wheels" kinda thing. I wasn't narrowing it down to simply using the racker during a COF. Regardless of whether it's an unloaded table start, a malfunction, or just LAMR, learning with the racker on one side, then switching it to the other will lengthen the process. We practice our high speed moves in slow motion right??? That's LAMR, even though people don't think about it. Shooting the gun with one grip for a month and then deciding it's time to learn to shoot it with the racker isn't suddenly going to make a light bulb pop on. A little dry fire, some more deliberate shooting in the beginning, and it really shouldn't be a problem.

Take it off if you must. But respect the power of a fast moving hunk of metal when it goes back on, all the same. :closedeyes:

I wasn't debating anything you said so I'm not sure why the point by point...just a different perspective.

Id say keep it on the left side and dry fire the heck out of it. This is what I did when I went from my M&P to my open gun. After a week of dryfire, I started to get the hang of shooting a gun with a saftey and slide racker on the left side.

But, if your not comfortable doing this, I'd say just leave it off and start shooting.

Edited by jkatz44

Left versus right is unimportant... there are many fast righties with the rackers on the strong side. Most likely you would rack to clear a dud, then the total Surprise-Clear-Return time will not be governed by the racker position.

Regarding running without it - it is OK as long as you don't have a slightly bulging case, then grabbing the slide under the C-more might not be sufficient. I know... I know... chamber checking... brushing your teeth for two minutes minimum and other good practices... :)

Overall my vote is for putting it where it belongs. Personally I have guns with the rackers on both sides, and if clearing a dud takes me .1 second longer - that is definitely NOT the reason I don't win a match. :(

Edited by Foxbat

I have had three different style slide rackers and started open with the traditional open mount. I now have the side mount which positions the slide racker differently.

My hands (my thumb) are longer than yours Kevin. My primary open gun has a Quinn slide racker. The design puts the racker further back than Matt's design. Each design has positive and negative points.

Have the slide racker installed with a ball and detent from the beginning. Matt will probably install it as far forward as possible with his mount.

The slide racker is not the real "thumb" problem. When you put the C-More on its side, the rear of the C-more becomes a possible problem, but that possible problem (notice I said possible) is eliminated by the position of your hand on the draw.

You will be amazed at how quick two to three hours of dry firing in your practice area will make that open gun seem like it was made for you! If you want, you can check out my backup which has Matt'sslide racker. If you have your holster youcan practice drawing.

Yeah, flog on...

Sarge, re-watch the Geico commercial with R Lee and then put it on where it belongs and learn to shoot it. :rolleyes: If it hits your thumb just grab a tissue. :roflol:

well I'm putting mine on the left side wen i send it out.

Guys, im new to comp shooting, what is a racker? is it a bar that takes the place of the plate on the back of the slide? They look like a good idea!!

Maybe on a Glock. I think there is a slide racker that replaces the back plate. On 2011's it is fitted in a dovetail on an open gun. It's just a little rod/handle thingamjig for racking the slide.

Anybody using the Sidewinder XL? Thoughts?

I like the looks of the sidewinders.

If I had stuck with the 90* mount, that's what I would have switched to. I have one gun left with a 90* mount, but it may become a .38SC with a conventional mount over the winter...if so, it'll get a standard Sidewinder. R,