Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver events in PHX valley?

arizonaguide

Request guidance on Phoenix area events for a Jframe (5shot) revolver shooter for 2011...looking to come and observe, then eventually participate.

Grew up in Alaska shooting single action revolvers...and upon moving to AZ I decided to get serious about a defensive pistol.

The most comfortable pistol for my hand "fit" and carry (for ME) was the little Jframe.

I have now been through several "defensive classes" with my chosen everyday carry pistol, a S&W442...and I'm not sure where to go from here for fun and recreation. (about 3500rds through it in classes biggrin.gif so finally getting confident enough to think about more serious improvements to the "next level").

I'd like to find some kind of "recreational" mildly-competitive OR "challenging" shooting for the little 5 shot to help me improve my "defensive" skills and presentation techniques, and continue to grow and learn...perhaps with some more experienced shooters to guide me and without shooting myself in the foot.

I really know NOTHING about the different types of competitive shooting, but started reading a little about IDPA a bit, and discovered that it's kinda geared toward 6shot pistols, correct? Is there anything geared toward a Jframe other than being the "odd man out" at other competitive events...usually geared toward semi-autos?

Is there ANYTHING in the PHX area (or Mesa, whatever) that is geared toward the (close range) "defensive" use of my (beloved/trusted/reliable) Jframe? cool.gif

About the only game you can play on an even playing field would be IDPA style "bug gun" matches. Not sure about your neck of the woods, but we only have them here a few times per year. You may want to get a small 6 shot revo and you can then shoot USPSA and IDPA games as there is much more gear for speedloaders for 6 shot guns. Best of luck my friend

I attended a Front Sight class with a guy shooting his j-frame Smith. He would do a LOT of "tactical reloads" to get through his relay. You play how you train and it seems like you like your 5 shooter and carry it.

Take a Four Day Defensive Handgun class at Front Sight. Take about a thousand rounds that you would actually shoot in a situation, or at least shoot practice loads that recoil the same and shoot to the same point of aim as your carry ammo.

If you gain confidence and ability and still want to upgrade, you could try one of the j frame .357s.

I personally carry a 3"bbl .44 magnum w/ 240 grain JHPs.

I attended a Front Sight class with a guy shooting his j-frame Smith. He would do a LOT of "tactical reloads" to get through his relay. You play how you train and it seems like you like your 5 shooter and carry it.

Take a Four Day Defensive Handgun class at Front Sight. Take about a thousand rounds that you would actually shoot in a situation, or at least shoot practice loads that recoil the same and shoot to the same point of aim as your carry ammo.

If you gain confidence and ability and still want to upgrade, you could try one of the j frame .357s.

I personally carry a 3"bbl .44 magnum w/ 240 grain JHPs.

HARDCORE my friend

http://www.riopractical.com/

http://www.cactusmatch.com/

http://www.icore.org/

http://www.prescottactionshooters.org/

http://www.PhoenixRodandGun.org/

These are the local clubs I am aware of. They all put on USPSA, ICORE, IDPA matches. You can shoot any of them with a 5 shot but it's better to have 6 or 8. Only problem with the 5 shot is that you are going to be reloading a lot. Get yourself at least 6 speedloaders and come out and enjoy yourself. I'm sure if you go to a match I'm at I d be happy to lend you a 6 shooter and loaders.

Thank you ALL, and especially AZshooter!

At least I have a good starting point to get off the couch and get my butt out and check it all out. biggrin.gif

As it says under my avatar...time to get out and "Looks for Range"!

I definitely don't mind being the guy with the 5-shooter that's reloading a lot...as long as I'm learning and improving.

I look at this a lot like Golf in that as long as I'm improving and having fun...it's worth the effort.

And since the Jframe WILL be the everyday carrypiece for me, it only makes sense to use it and train with it.

Looks like I've got to get 3more speedloaders and get them all loaded with snapcaps and work on serious reload speedwork.

Something like THIS guy, I guess.

I'll look into possible BUG events also.

Is there a typical "strong side carry" holster requirement for most events?

Or, are (at least the BUG) event's allowed to draw from concealment?

I have both a IWB that I like (for CCW) and an "open carry" Serpa (level II) retention that I like.

But, should I be thinking about a the strong side carry holster as a "mandatory" requirement?

Thanks for the help folks! I look forward to getting to the "next level"...with my little Jframe!

So what are the typical events that most REVOLVER shooters HERE are shooting?

Not necessarily Jframe type 5-shooters, but most of the folks here...which I understand are using larger frame DA's.

And are you using the same holsters as you might Conceal Carry with, or is there MANDATORY "strong side carry" requirement?

How does one get started/equipment?

Sure, I'm reading the threads and stickeys...but there doesn't seem to be a "Basic Revolver Options for Beginners" thread and so it's a lot of trying to "piece the information together" for me...in bits and pieces

Is the IDPA more of a "tactical"-vs-"practical" type of option.?

Being a newby I'm not even sure what the differences are.

What are the equipment requirements?

IWB or strong side Serpa would be okay?

Which event is more of a "shoot on the move" type event?

Because THAT'S the next level that I want to work on.

I've had my FILL of "static" square range "defensive" target work in classes...but they ALL seem to ignore the fact that in a "real life" situation I would more than likely be shooting while moving at an also moving target...likely at close range.

So, I'd REALLY like to develop non-static MOVE/SHOOT skills...from concealment...with my Jframe. I don't care about posting record times, but more about improving my own skills through good fun and/or friendly events.

Kinda like Weekend Golf, only MORE fun...(less frustration!?)

THANKS for Any words of wisdom? cool.gif

Edited by arizonaguide

Arizona,

Note - I shoot USPSA so I am a bit biased! I shoot a 5in 625 in 45ACP using moonclips with a Carmoney action job.

There are three basic competitions - IDPA, USPSA, and ICORE. All are going to force a more "Strong Side" carry, simply because SoB, CrossDraw, or Shoulder holster carry all can have safety issues within organized competition. The 5-shot Revo is going to put you at a disadvantage, but that disadvantage is going to be slightly different in each sport.

IDPA considers itself more "practical" for the everyday CCW. Go shoot, you may like, you may not. IDPA is going to require a "daily wear for CCW" type holster and ammo carrying accessories. They have two classes for revolvers with different requirements.

ICORE is a Revolver specific game. Three classes - Open, Limited, Classic. Open is 6/7/8 shot guns with ports and optics, Limited is 6/7/8 shot guns with iron sights. Classic restricts reloading to Speedloaders. ICORE has a max array size of 6 shots. ICORE allows the use of CCW style, regular hip carry, or speed holsters like the CR Speed. Your major problem may be finding an ICORE match, it seems to be popular in some areas and scarce in others.

USPSA is your shoot on the move, push the skills sport, not "tactical" but a game that will push the mental and physical skills to the max. Here you are going to see medium and large frame 38/357/45 revolvers using moonclips and speedloaders. Typically carried in Hip (like Bladetech) or Speed (like CR Speed) holsters with ammo carried up front across the waist for maximum reloading speed. Revolvers are almost always at a disadvantage in USPSA so you would just be behind the 8ball with the rest of us. BLUERIDGE shoots a 2" 6-shot 454 Ruger Alaskan using 45 Colts and does well, so sometimes simply accepting the disadvantage and having fun pays off.

Your best bet is to simply show up at a match and watch for a while. Or find a local Revo shooter online here and buddy up. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Edited by JFlowers

Guys, I can't thank you enough for that information! I've GOT to get into some of this, but didn't have a clue as a 5-shooter.

Jflowers, what an AWSOME post.

Sincerely, thank you for taking the time to "square away" the "new guy" with all the questions.

Exactly what I was looking for, and answers the differences in style AND equipment.

OUTSTANDING POST, and again: Thank you!. It's hard to put that out there like that because it's kinda like comparing styles of martial arts. There are as many opinions as there are styles, and each has is merits and shortcomings.

AZshooter, you have also put me on the right track with LOCAL options, and also MUCH appreciated.

Sincerely, Thanks folks! Now, I gotta go do some google mapwork ("looks for range") biggrin.gif

We've GOT to get a range on the Westside here, someday!

For IDPA, you'll need a strong-side hip holster -- IWB or OWB are fine, but the OWB does need to hold the gun pretty close to your body to be legal. You'll also want three speedloader holders and three speedloader carriers. You'll need a concealment garment (vest, jacket, shirt, etc.). Eyes & ears and ammo and you're all set.

In the past I shot a 1911 in IDPA. These days I'm shooting a 4" S&W Model 66. I use JetLoader speedloaders. I use ReadyTactical speedloader holders. It's a hoot.

Edited by M1911

Most of the revolver games are geared for 6 shot revolvers although you can shoot them with the 5 shot j-frame. Rio Salado Sportsmans Club in Mesa has and ICORE shoot on the first Sunday of the month at 9AM and the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club near south mountain has a ICORE shoot on the second Saturday at 8AM. I shoot at both of the clubs - a nice group of shooters.

Edited by TonyT

Fantastic Info, ALL. Thank you!

Yep, I was looking into that ICORE shoot, but I probably won't make the one this Sunday, but I DO intend to make the PHX R&G on the second Saturday (which should be next weekend on the 8th) to check it out.

I DO also want to check out some of the other styles/disciplines also...it ALL just looks like a ton of FUN!

I've heard good things about the Scottsdale club also.

MUCH appreciate all the info! And, I have to agree with Neomet's SIGline. Ain't it the truth about this area being the mecca of shooting sports! We are truly blessed.

cool.gif

• 1 month later...