Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there Case Prep on New LakeCity Brass

CocoBolo

I found a deal on new Lake City brass. I don't enjoy trimming and sizing etc so I was thinking of buying this New Brass. Is it ready to load as new brass, prime powder set and crimp? Or is there some case prep I need to do?

I did a search couldn't find anything, Honest!

Found a better deal on ArmsCor primed brass at Grafs.com at least I won't have to ream the primer pockets!

If it is new Lake City unprimed brass, the primer pockets won't have a crimp since there is no primer seated in them. Only fully loaded Mil Spec Lake City ammo has the primer crimped in. I've got new 06 LC brasss with no crimp and have ordered 09 unprimed LC from Midway.

Found a better deal on ArmsCor primed brass at Grafs.com at least I won't have to ream the primer pockets!

If it is new Lake City unprimed brass, the primer pockets won't have a crimp since there is no primer seated in them. Only fully loaded Mil Spec Lake City ammo has the primer crimped in. I've got new 06 LC brasss with no crimp and have ordered 09 unprimed LC from Midway.

Got my ArmsCor primed brass today $111.00 per thousand, loaded 200 in about 10 minutes. The LC brass I saw was a Natchez shooting supply I think $122 PER 1000.

Got my ArmsCor primed brass today $111.00 per thousand, loaded 200 in about 10 minutes. The LC brass I saw was a Natchez shooting supply I think $122 PER 1000.

You got a good deal!

You got a good deal!

You can get in on it! http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/259 or the LC brass for $119.00

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=FA556UPB&src=tpSlrHm

Even with new, Lapua brass, I'll neck size it.

If it was me, I would have spent the exrta couple of bucks for the Lake City, over the Armscor, just because Lake City brass is known for it's quality.

I took advantage of the sale at Grafs also, and the brass I got looks great. It is so easy to load with out worrying about sizing and trimming primers, and stuff. Just pour it in the case feed and start cranking!!! I know some LC brass may be better quality, but when I'm loading 223 for 3g matches, it is just going to get slung out in the weeds,so I'm not too worried about repeat loadings of better quality cases....

• 3 weeks later...

Darn I already FU, I loaded a couple hundred rounds went to the range to test them. I shot 5 shots had 3 holes I shot 5 more had one hole. I did this several times so I think they are good to go. 10 shots 1/2" group at 100 yards. These were 55gr Hornady FMJBT 27.1gr BLC(2). I have some 69gr SMK's to load so I'll chamfer them to make sure I get all I can out of the accuracy.

Edited by CocoBolo

Lot of shooters have good luck with the Lee Factory Crimp die. This final step provides equal neck tension so the pressures at ignition stays close = better accuracy. No bullet set-back in the magazine due to recoil.

I hate to admit it I'm using the Lee Crimp Die, keep it on the down low.

OOh, I looked a processed brass and the new stuff was cheaper when you count the primers at 11 cents each for new it was just too good to pass up.

I found out I have a friend with a Gracey trimmer so I'll be headed to his house with a 12 back and a couple thousand cases to trim real soon. .223 brass is easy to get here those IDPA guys have 2 or 3 carbine matches a month and they just leave it all on the ground, about 30% actually shoot good ammo the rest shoot steel berdan stuff.

• 1 month later...

Wow I'm gonna have to check this armscor stuff out. But for anyone else wondering about the new/virgin LC brass it's good to go out of the box. I've loaded a few thousand of them I got from Wideners with some RL 10X and some super cheap 55 gr bullets they sell. All I did before I loaded them up was put them in the tumbler for about an hour to make'em shiny. They shot great! Not one problem. Super cheap and reliable brand new ammo! It cost me less than it would to buy loaded steel wolf and when you're done shooting your brand new reloads you've got "free" brass to use for next time. That's when it gets really cheap.

I also use the Lee fcd. Actually my press and ALL my dies (except my bullet sizer I use to resize my .50 bmg pulls. It's made by CHB I think?) I love my classic cast single stage an my classic cast turret! MADE IN USA and they're not super expensive. Can't beat that.

Happy shooting!

Edited by Too Eazy

• 1 year later...

Lot of shooters have good luck with the Lee Factory Crimp die. This final step provides equal neck tension so the pressures at ignition stays close = better accuracy. No bullet set-back in the magazine due to recoil.

Is the Lee crimp better than a redding or dillon, and if so can someone elaborate?

I get little to no crimp using my Dillon on 223