Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100/1187 function

ErikW

Can somebody please explain how these shotguns are supposed to work? E.g., "the magazine spring pushes the shell against the interceptor latch, the ankle bone is connected to the shin bone, blah blah..."

It might help me figure out why mine sometimes locks open with a round on the carrier, and sometimes fails to lock open when empty.

First, I'll say I don't really know how it works any more than was explained in Front Sight by Pat Kelley. But from what I know, a shell isn't coming back with enough "oomph" if it is locking back with a round on the carrier. You either need more mag spring or you have a problem where the mag tube/extended portion meet, or something else is causing drag not allowing the shell to activate the latch. Then again, maybe you need an oversize interceptor latch retainer from Brownells to "decreases the amount of play in the latch body to improve feeding and ensure positive operation."

I hope someone else can be of more help.

Bryant

My magazine spring is cut down a little to make it easier/faster to load (Limited/Standard, one at a time). I've got new springs on order and I'll be sure to have plenty of length and strength in the new one.

I ordered a 3-pack of the retainers while I was on Brownells, though I won't do anything with them until I know what's going on.

Yeah I've got an EasyLoader.

Maybe I need to get a book by Patrick Sweeney or an AGI video?

I'd just suggest that you find a good smith that can make sure the EZ Loader is tuned correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

BTT

I replaced my fails-to-lock-open-when-empty trigger group for the SMM3G. Unfortunately, the replacement group locks open when loaded. At least four times, at a second plus each time.

The first EZ loader I did on the fails-empty group was a major pain to install and has virtually no play in the ramp actuation. The other one was a breeze and seems to have the right amount of play before the ramp lets the bolt go. Too much play?

• 2 weeks later...

I just ruined my EasyLoader and broke a carrier latch. While I'm ordering some parts from Brownells, should I get this part mentioned by Nik Habicht (discussing Patrick Sweeney's shotgunsmithing book)?

why you should install a 3" shell lifter on the 1100

BTW, when the DMW instructions say file the EasyLoader activator tab and/or bend the carrier latch, do the former, not the latter.