Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICS Classification in IPSC

mcoliver

Being relatively new to the IPSC game I wasn't aware that it also has classifications (like USPSA) until recently.

Back here, clubs seem to be scrambling setting up classifier matches all of a sudden. Of the two years that I've been shooting I've never seen such activity to push for the classifiers.

(I'm hoping Vince can chime in)

Does this mean the upcoming Level III and up matches (and the Worldshoot) will now recognize these classifications and award accordingly (following the USPSA pattern)?

Thanks.

Hi McOliver,

I have no idea why there's a sudden surge in the Philippines but, yes, at IPSC World Shoot XIV to be held in Ecuador in 2005, there will be official IPSC Classification Medals awarded to the Top 3 in each Division/Class. These medals are similar to the IPSC President's Medals awarded to the winner of each Division and Division/Category, only they're a bit smaller in diameter.

Of course being classified under the ICS is 100% voluntary, and competitors who elect not to be classified will simply have a "U" next to their names. However to qualify for an official IPSC Classification Medal at the World Shoot (or another match where they're available), and to use the results of that match for further classification, a competitor just needs to give his "Alias" (available free here) to the Stats Officer of the match, and everything will happen automatically, providing WinMSS is being used to score the match.

The real beauty of the ICS is that it's first and foremost a way for Regions which don't want the headache of administering their own classification system to generate Regional Classifications by Division. You can see all current Regional Classifications by clicking the relevant link on the IPSC website or by clicking here.

However individuals who are in interested in seeing how they are classified on an international basis just need to go here and enter their alias (or the alias of a friend, if known to them). For example, so that you can see how it works, I'm sure Eric Grauffel won't mind if I tell you his alias is, oddly enough, eric and, if you enter that in the alias box, you'll see how he ranks both in France and internationally (and there are no prizes for guessing correctly!).

Additionally, Regional Directors can perform a lookup of all members within their Region on a separate password protected page available only to Regional Directors, to see how their members rank Regionally and Internationally - I could give you details, but then I'd have to kill you ;)

Hope this answers your question.

I was the match director for two ICS matches (2002,2003) at my home club. We combined some ICS Classifier stages along with the American Handgunner Postal Match and ran them as our monthly club match.

Small crowds (20 or less shooters per event) effectively killed the idea. :(

Easiest way to earn an ICS Classification...host the A.H. Postal match.

I'll miss not having the opportunity to shoot it in 2004. No other club in the Section is interested in hosting ICS stages or the Postal match. :angry:

I have not decided whether or not to particapate in the ICS. I have to wonder a bit why IPSC had to reinvent the wheel. I realize the need for use in some regions of the "Classic" target as opposed to the real target, but the courses the USPSA has set up and maintained a database on for years would have probably saved a lot of time and given IPSC a major leg-up on the process.

We here in the US are often accused of Xenophobia, I think that that may just be a two-way street.

Oh wait a minute, I get it! If IPSC just used our system even assuming that USPSA offered the data for free, IPSC wouldn't get the $3 per shooter form all us here in the US. So is this about an international classificatin system where all the world becomes a part of it, or is it about MONEY?

Jim Norman