Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard Chroming

Virgil Tripp did a great job for us, it's too bad he's not hard chroming guns anymore (at least to the general public). We had a hard time finding someone as knowledgeable as Virgil - although not the quickest, he did a great job.

We recently found another great hard chromer - TechPlate in Anaheim CA.

They had great turn around time (10 days), very knowledgeable staff, lots of plating options and good prices. Give them a try! :D

(800) 553-1668

• 3 weeks later...

if time is not the biggest concern and QUALITY is, who have you all used and liked? I would like to send the slide off and older STI I just picked up to Cogan. Any of yall have personal experience with them? Thank you

Metaloy does all my hard chrome, they are in Arkansasas. They do a great job and are quick. The price is competitive, don't know what else to tell you in answer to your question. O yeh, they've been doing it just about longer than anyone.

Lets say your doing a slide-only chrome job on a gun with a tight fit (such as my STI with some wear marks) Is there refitting that needs to be done following the plating? Do they need the whole gun to do a slide only? Have you run into any negative aspects at all with respect to hard chroming? I ask as it seems like the perfect outer surface for durability. Thanks again for the responses.

• 1 month later...

Metaloy, they use to do Wilsons work. I have a Wilson LE comp from 1985 and it has heldup well, still looks new. Over 100,000 rounds what can I say but praise. Sent them a Caspian frame 6 years ago and they did a great job on that too.

I had a Para hard chromed at APW about 1998...... he did a great job. It was not over polished, slide rail surfaces still tight, etc. Turn around time was about a month if I remember right. Can't speak to the durability of the work, as I sold the gun a year later.

But it did look nice B)

Metalloy just did my 5" full fat pistol. It is gorgious!! 1 week turn around!! I can't recomend them any higher, and they are GREAT to deal with!!! KURTM