Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 24 50 yard accuracy

mpolans

The G17/G22/G34/G35 from a rest will shoot 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards with OEM barrel and should shoot sub 1" groups with a quality gunsmith fit barrel. The G24 should do as well.

I'm guessing that would probably equate to 2-3" at 50 yards with an OEM and possibly 2" at 50 with a gunsmith fit barrel, but can any confirm this with practical experience?

Furthermore, to increase the accuracy, would fitting an aftermarket barrel alone do it, or must one tighten the slide too? I've heard that tightening slides on glocks is mainly done to improve the trigger pull, but haven't seen it mentioned in regard to accuracy nearly as much as compared to accurizing 1911s.

My G4 G17 fired from a rest shot a 1 3/16" group at 25 yards with the OEM barrel. My Glocks normally shoot a slightly better group with KKM drop in barrels. The gun smith fit barrel will tighten them up even more and I have never had a slide tightened. I do not normally shoot from a rest I just wanted to see what the gun would do without my shaking hands and poor eyesight which normally equal a 4" to 6" group at 25 yards.

Edited by Duane Thomas

What size groups could one expect out of a stock Glock 24 at 50 yards? What could be done to the Glock 24 to reduce the size of the groups as much as possible, and what would likely be the resulting group size?

Are you talking pure mechanical accuracy of the gun, with no restrictions on what you can do with it? Are you adding in the shooter as part of the equation?

Are you looking for a specific task (Bianchi/NRA Action Pistol...hunting)?

My G4 G17 fired from a rest shot a 1 3/16" group at 25 yards with the OEM barrel. My Glocks normally shoot a slightly better group with KKM drop in barrels. The gun smith fit barrel will tighten them up even more and I have never had a slide tightened. I do not normally shoot from a rest I just wanted to see what the gun would do without my shaking hands and poor eyesight which normally equal a 4" to 6" group at 25 yards.

This might be a little off topic but can you tell me what sights you have on your Glock? I'm just trying to get a better frame of reference.

What size groups could one expect out of a stock Glock 24 at 50 yards? What could be done to the Glock 24 to reduce the size of the groups as much as possible, and what would likely be the resulting group size?

Are you talking pure mechanical accuracy of the gun, with no restrictions on what you can do with it? Are you adding in the shooter as part of the equation?

Are you looking for a specific task (Bianchi/NRA Action Pistol...hunting)?

Pure mechanical accuracy. I'm thinking of Bianchi/Action Pistol, but figured if I said so, I'd get 20 posts telling my how I should just use a 1911 instead of any helpful comments.

If you were going to shoot Metallic, then yes, you would be much better off with a 1911.

I'm assuming then that you are looking at Production. I would say that even a stock barrel in a barrel fixture would shoot 2" at 50. In the gun? I don't see it. The main reason is because of the polymer frame. Yes, the frame rails are steel but they are imbeded in the polymer. During the Practical, there are 36 rounds fired prior to the 50 yard line. The gun is hot. It is not going to take much to move things around a bit.

Shoot a group at 50 with the gun cold. Then shoot 36 rounds through it and try again. I would say that there will be a big difference. It doesn't matter what barrel is in there. The results will be nearly the same.

Now, if you had one of those metal frames for a Glock then I could see it but then it wouldn't be a Production gun.

Pure mechanical accuracy. I'm thinking of Bianchi/Action Pistol, but figured if I said so, I'd get 20 posts telling my how I should just use a 1911 instead of any helpful comments.

Yes...you will get the various feedback (like, shoot a rifle or a 1911 :) ), but that is usually not too bad here. And, you can often learn a bit from the members here that that suggest such things.

If you want to shoot a Glock in NRA AP, then go ahead and get that out there. If somebody asks why...then tell them...just because you want to. That should be plenty enough. Heck, not much we do make sense. I could ask why anybody would shoot a gun with wings on it...or leave there rifle out of reach. LOL.

Action Pistolero brings up an important point. What you are after, I believe, is repeatable mechanical lock-up of the gun...mostly with the barrel in relation to the sights.

I have an unproven theory that the Glock locks up better than expected...due to it's design. What ought to be a loose gun, just seems to lock up fairly well. But, heat could certainly change that, and that is not something that I have considered at all (thanks for the tip, AP !).

See if you can dig up any old post from cautery . He did some Ransom Rest testing on a G35, where he had a chamber cut (KKM) to shorten the bullet jump to the rifling. His results showed that helped a bit. I believe he had some more ideas along those lines. He also was working on a bushing to fit the trigger to the trigger pin (to take away the play).

If you aren't shooting Production, then look to make the gun heavy and the trigger light.. And, go with as heavy as a recoil spring as you can get away with with your loads.

Tightening the slide to frame fit should help with reliability some...as the bullet will hit the same place on the ramp every time and feed the same way. It should also help a touch with reducing slide movement (most slide will hunker down in the rear as you work the trigger). And, yes...you should be able to get a better trigger if there is less play in the slide to frame fit.

Why 40? 9mm would help on the mover. (I have a thread on this, in the Action Pistol section, asking about using 40.)

I shot a 34 in NRA Action Pistol for a couple of years -- with one of the Bomar dovetail (hang over the rear of the slide) rear sights and a Bomar front that had the top half thinned to .090. If I could see the step, the sights were pointing high.....

If I had to do it now, my first priority would be sights, the second developing the most accurate load at 25 and 50 I could get, then allowable trigger work.

If I could rebarrel, that would join #2, and I'd have Bar-Sto do their magic -- the 6" Glock 21 uppers they were turning out were simply the cats meow, as far as function and accuracy were concerned....

I have 24 found local. If i ever try at 50 yds i might need some better sights than the stock ones. I'll check into some sights some members use on their 24, 34 and 35's. I also have OD 34 which feels and shoot's great. My 24 i have not shot it at long distances yet but around 20 ft it is one ragged hole.

I have 24 found local. If i ever try at 50 yds i might need some better sights than the stock ones. I'll check into some sights some members use on their 24, 34 and 35's. I also have OD 34 which feels and shoot's great. My 24 i have not shot it at long distances yet but around 20 ft it is one ragged hole.

Stock Glock sights suck. That's the first thing that comes off. I like Dawson's adjustable rear and fiber optic front. 20 feet is less than 7 yards...probably not a distance to base any sort of accuracy test on. Most folks measure accuracy with 25 yard groups. I'm only looking at 50 yards because of the 50 yard strings on the Bianchi Cup Practical event.

My 5 shot-50 yard groups measure .355" with my Open G17.

I would like to know what sights you use? I would really like to shoot as you but i don't forsee that. Plus i assume you have some tailored ammo of great recipes.:rolleyes:

Forgot to mention...this was off hand too!

I didn't even call four of the shots.

im a fan of glocks, but i dont think they have the accuracy potential of a 1911. too much to contend with. trigger, sights, polymer frame and loose tolerances. i think you would be extremely lucky if you got one to shoot less than 5 inches at 50.

as for the 50 yard group of .355, is that measured from center to center? :)

im a fan of glocks, but i dont think they have the accuracy potential of a 1911. too much to contend with. trigger, sights, polymer frame and loose tolerances. i think you would be extremely lucky if you got one to shoot less than 5 inches at 50.

as for the 50 yard group of .355, is that measured from center to center? :)

That would be a one shot group.