Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie here - what mag holders do I need?

bigg_jon

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I had trouble finding exactly what I was looking for.

Ok, I'm planning on shooting my first USPSA match this year. I'm going to be shooting in Limited-10 division with my Kimber Custom 45. First stupid question: In limited division, there is no restriction on equipment (holsters, mag pouches, belts, etc.) right? I mean could I use the same fancy rigs that the open guys are using?

Anyway, back to my main question. I don't plan on buying any super fast race holsters yet but I do need some mag pouches. I've seen recommendations for Safariland, CR Speed, and Limcats, but if I buy one of those, do I need to get one of those 2-piece belt things? Or can I just attach them to a regular one belt system?

Also, are there any other cheap mag pouches that work just as well as the above mentioned ones? I would prefer ones that had some adjustment to them.

Thanks for the help and sorry if this has been covered before.

Jon

There is a ton of stuff on Mag pouches here...

Pouches, Holsters, belts are the same. But for the 45's it may not work as well.

If you use 1 belt, it must go through your belt loops. If you use the single mag pouches with the adjustments, this could take awhile. I guess it could be done, but I'm too lazy.

The Uncle Mikes kydex belt pouches work really well, and they're cheap - I'd avoid the paddle types (they cut into me going down for low ports). They don't adjust, but if you get used to them, it's really not a drawback. For a 45, you'll need to carry 6 mags (or even more) - I have 2 double pouches, 1 inserted, and 1 in my back pocket - when there's a very large COF, I carry 3 in my back pocket...

Holsters... For the Kimbers, I think the Kydex holsters work best, the 'race' types don't seem to hold them well, they're more designed for S_I's, etc. There may be one that works well, but try it before you buy it.

really try to see as much of the equipment as possible with the type of mags and pistol you're using - you'll save a lot of money,,,

Thanks for the reply BerKim, that's some good info.

I currently have an IWB holster that I've been using for IDPA and I figured I'd use that just to see if I like the USPSA competitions (is it possible not to like them?).

I only have two mag pouches though, and I've heard that there are some really high round count stages and I don't think I can stuff four more magazines in my pockets (my pants have shrunk a bit over the winter...must be the cold weather :rolleyes: ).

So I guess I'm still debating if I should splurge on some Safarilands, etc. right away or try out the cheaper alternatives.

Thanks,

jon

I don't plan on buying any super fast race holsters yet but I do need some mag pouches.

From experience, I realized the race holsters aren't really faster than the cheap UM kydex. They just lead you to an easy path to a fast draw BUT first you have to look for it. ;)

Trust me, you WANT a 2-piece belt system.

I shoot a CR Speed rig in L10. The holster is basically a toy, any old Kydex job would work just as well. But the belt and pouches are great, and I wouldn't be parted from them. Using the CR pouches with single-stack mags looks kind of funky, but they work great. I guess Safariland also makes a good single-stack pouch. Since the race pouches and race belts cost the same as regular pouches and belts, and are so much better, I think the choice is clear.

So I guess I'm still debating if I should splurge on some Safarilands, etc. right away or try out the cheaper alternatives.

Yes, splurge on the Safarilands or Limcats, and a 2 belt system. The time savings alone in getting ready to shoot make it worth your while!

Seems that I have read a lot about this subject on this forum somewhere, but its late and I could be wrong, so I don't dare try to send you in the "right" direction.!

I am using a two belt system and safariland 771 mag pouches on my (also a Kimber) limited 10 rig. I used the uncle mikes double mag pouches for a few months while I asked around and tried out other stuff. I Love my 771's :wub: . Wish I would have listened to all of the advice and bought them from the start!