Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning my new Custom SVI

sgrc1

Got my new SVI Custom .40 Limited gun, just shot it yesterday (first 500 rnds or so), since its brand new I decided to take it apart wipe it clean and apply slide glide #1 to most everything (except firing pin channel), after reading several threads I intend to do the following for cleaning purposes (please advise if I am messing it up):

1. After each session, clean the feeding ramp of the barrel with a brush to make sure its clean and it feeds well. I do not intend to ever clean the inside of the barrel (its a Schuemanns) since I have read its best to leave them alone (I will be shooting Montana Gold bullets). I would take care of the exterior part of the hard chromed gun with a soft brush, towel and some Tri-Flo or other high quality gun oil.

2. After every 2K (aprox) I would intend to take the top end apart wipe it clean with a soft cloth, take off any residue I might find and use a soft brush and some de-greaser/cleaning compound, after this I intend to put Slide Glide #1 again on everything.

3. Maybe after every 5K-10K I would think of getting the gun to the local armorer to take it apart in every single piece and give it a professional clean, of course more slide glide afterwards.

Does this sound like a good plan to you guys? or would you advise otherwise?

Thanks

I use some naptha (mineral spirits) with a toothbrush for general degunking of the frame and slide. It doesn't strip the metal dry like acetone. I use acetone spray into the firing pin hole to keep that channel clean (just hose it in and let it run down). I would clean the barrel occasioanlly by using a nylon brush and some acetone or good bore cleaner. A nylon brush will not scratch the bore. Run with a patch soaked in FP-10 and you're good to rock. I also mix a little FP-10 into my Slide Glide for most places. It makes it slicker and thins it out a little.

BTW: cleaning the feed ramp is good, don't forget to keep the barrel throat clean as well.

What Lynn said.

If you're using the Glide, cleaning is almost pointless. You might break it down every now and then to scrape the goo off the rails and freshen up the Glide, but everything else is kind of a waste of time.

Don't take this the wrong way, but forget about the armorer. Even *I* can strip my STI down to the bones in short order. The one good reason to break down your gun periodically is to clean and re-lube the sear/hammer/disconnector - which can get gritty over time.

If you need trigger work done, send your gun to a Benny Hill/Brazos/Kodiak Precision/EGW class of gunsmith. They will know how to adjust your sear engagement properly so that your trigger will last under the volume of fire/dryfire unique to the IPSC'er. Billy Bubba and his other brother Bubba at the corner gunshop have no freakin' clue.

I like the tips...

I was more worried about under doing it but apparently I am over doing it, :o i just want to make sure I don´t have a failure at a competition that can latter be traced back to poor cleaning. :angry:

I don´t use naptha or brake oil, I have this gun cleaning compound I bought which has worked well for most guys over here (only I cant remember the brand, maybe outdoors..) :blink:

EricW, how often is every now and then for you to break it down and freshen up the slide glide?

I guess I might give it a thorough clean myself then to lube the sear/hammer/etc... I was thought yesterday by a friend how to assemble, disassemble the whole thing.

BTW, I didn´t ask about the mags, what type of maintainance do these require?, I was used to the plastic glock mags only.

Again, thanks.

Sergio

EricW, how often is every now and then for you to break it down and freshen up the slide glide?

Hi Sergio,

I'm not a very disciplined person. I don't keep logbooks or anything else like I should. My rule is: whenever I think I need to or don't have anything else to do, so I might as well clean my gun. When you put on fresh Slide Glide, you'll learn how your gun "feels." When it starts to not feel as good - that's when you need to do something.

FWIW, I'm a reformed obsessive gun cleaner. I used to clean my guns every time I got back from the range. Eventually, I got tired spending more time cleaning than shooting.

My new rule: If your pistol won't run a little dirty, you need to fix your gun, not clean it more.

:)

Anymore I take the top-end off, spray the frame and slide assy with B12, put some FP10 on it and put it back together. That's about the extent of my cleaning. I USED to love cleaning, but it's just not necessary after EVERY shooting session. It takes me less than a minute to do it.

ONCE a year, I'll take it completely apart and clean, but I do it mainly just to check for anything obvious. That's about all.

Clean it too much for a little while, just to experience how much of a PITA it is. Then shoot it with no maintenance at all until it stops working, to get an idea of its dirt tolerance in terms of a number of rounds. Thereafter, you should automatically get nervous when it gets close to that number, and give it a reflexive cleaning. That, plus maybe a once-a-year detail strip get-it-spotless job should be all you need.

Purchased in total 3SVI's (new and they're expensive over here in Europe) took them apart completly after 1000 rounds (after reading a 1911-booklet) cleaned them after degreasing them with brake-cleaner, lubricated them with Shell 10W-40 mixed with Slick-50 (PTFE) and they're still in perfect shape!

No worry's, DVC, Henny.

PS. EricW is right! MoNsTeR's advice will teach you a lot!