Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for an AK-74

jkatz44

I have an Ohio Rapid Fire (ORF) AK74 that was only $599 when I bought it. All matching

Bulgarian parts kit. Over 2500 rounds thru it now.... flawless. Maybe look for a used one.....

Otherwise Arsenal SGL-31. But they are $799.

T

Just got my first arsenal SGL-31 a couple days ago, not exactly cheap. As far as AK's go, aside from a custom build, they are dandy rigs. Gonna have fun with it for sure, really digging this 5.45 deal! Zero recoil, surprisingly accurate and cheap to shoot even with non-corrosive ammo.

Edited by rc2125

Yeah, I can't buy an Arsenal. I was looking at that Century Arms one. I have heard mixed reviews on it. Does anbody have any expierence with it.

P.S. I was also looking at this gun...

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/akm74-m74-sporter-rifle,-5-45x39-caliber-w-side-rail-by-cai-/products_id/4498

Thanks.

Yeah, I can't buy an Arsenal. I was looking at that Century Arms one. I have heard mixed reviews on it. Does anbody have any expierence with it.

P.S. I was also looking at this gun...

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/akm74-m74-sporter-rifle,-5-45x39-caliber-w-side-rail-by-cai-/products_id/4498

Thanks.

Honestly, Century seems to be hit or miss. Either it will run great or not at all. Heck for $359 get one and try it. The only problem ( for me anyway )if that I am pretty sure that these rifles have a US barrel that is not chromelined. If you are going to shoot the cheap Russian corrosive ammo you are going to need to clean the snot out of it after you shoot it or the bore may rust. I shoot only Wolf and I never clean my AK's after. So if you stuck to the Wolf this $359 rifle could be a great truck gun. And 5.45 is a hoot to shoot. B)

Edited by Tattoo

Don't buy anything Century. They're cheap for a reason and it's not even worth taking the chance of getting a "good" one.

If it doesnt work, or breaks, you're pretty much out the money, since their CS stinks and you might end up shipping the gun back and forth without getting it fixed.. barely even worth trying.

I wouldnt even take a Century even if I got it for free. Id rather have open space in my safe than space taken by a Century.

Better to get a higher quality one that might actually have some resale value, in case you get tired of it.

Edited by gose

I've shot and sold several examples of the breed. I'd recommend buying a used one that you can thoroughly test fire before purchase. Quality is all over the place with these guns... I've seen Century junk that shoots like a house on fire, I've seen $1000 Arsenal guns with crooked front sight bases, and everything in between. There just isn't, IHMO, a %100 safe bet with AK pattern guns.

DanO

Wow... I went and looked at the link for the Arsenal guns... I have to ask... Do they really sell AKs for $1500 (or is that just MSRP)? Didn't someone just sell a used JP AR on here recently for about that.

I like AKs as much as the next guy (I own a yugo ak that I have really enjoyed) but for that kinda money I could have a decent AR and a working AK.. Or am I missing something?