Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock-19 Gen 4 Cycle Problems....

BlackSabbath

I have student I'm working with that has one. He thought maybe it was him, and to some degree he was limp-wristing the gun. I test- fired it with wwb 115's....plenty hot on chrono...not the issue. The slide just isn't being pushed back far enough to cycle the gun. Failure to extract, eject and feed. If I would have had and old spring to drop in I know it would have worked. Dont know if the previous Gen 1 thru 3 systems work in the 4. It's not mag related as it does it with all of them.

I think the gun just has too much spring...new spring sysyem is just strong. I've owned 14 Glocks and haven't encountered this. I cleaned it and and hit all the lube points, we fired it and it did just 2 times more as we approached 600 rounds. It didn't do it the last 150 rounds.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance.

Cliff

Edited by BlackSabbath

In general, I'm not a fan of the G4s. They have had multiple documented issues. However, mostly, it has been recoil assemblies. Glock has made some changes and you can get an updated recoil assembly. It has been discussed, along with photos and technical explanations, ad naseum on GlockTalk in General Glocking. A quick search should get you all you need. I'll leave it at that.

"Sounds" like a rough recoil spring assembly. Also sounds like it's shooting itself smooth. Hand cycle it empty several hundred times before shooting it again.

I would not be spring swapping at this point.

Jim

Oops. Correction. No idea what WADR meant till I searched smile.gif

OP asked for thoughts which I offered. And their as valid as any...at this point.

cheers.gif

Jim

Edited by Jman

BTW, G1-3 recoil assemblies won't work in the G4. And, WADR Jman, it won't fix itself.

WADR, it sounds like it has fixed itself. If it hasn't had any malfunctions in the last 150, it may have just needed a short break in period to wear off a burr somewhere. That said, I'm not a good one to ask about limpwristing. I've never been able to get a Glock to do it, even holding the gun loosely enough it almost comes out of my hand.

Also, the G19 Gen 4 won't take the 012 spring Glock is up to with the 17. It uses a spring stamped 03. At least the one on my hip is. I'm running WWB 147 GR out of mine. Which is about 145-150 PF. Not sure if running a couple 100 of something hot may break it in a bit more.

If you hit 1000 (another 400) and continue getting malfs, I ship that puppy back to Glock on their dime and let them fix it.

I have a G4 G17 with 12,800 flawless rounds using the OEM guide rod, the Jager stainless guide rod and the Jager Polymer guide rod.

The original G4 OEM springs are about 4#'s heavier than the G3 springs and are too heavy for some low powered 9mm ammunition. Glock left the original spring in the .40's where they are working fine and recently reduced the G4 springs by approximately 2#'s which leaves them approximately 2#'s heavier than the G3 Glocks.

I prefer the Jager guide rod with a 15# ISMI spring. I changed the recoil spring on the Jager guide rod this week after more than 7,000 rounds and it was totally trouble free.

The Jager light weight firing pin in this G4 G17 has over 7,000 rounds with a reduced spring with zero light strikes. I normally change them at 5,000 rounds as preventative maintenance.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having similar issues with my G19 Gen4. It went back to the dealer I got it from today being only 2 weeks old. I put about 300 rounds through it, WWB and my normal IDPA load (a 124gr bullet about 130 PF) which runs my G17 (gen 3) like a top. Had multiple fail to feed, and fail to slide lock on empty mag. Interestingly, Blazer Brass (which I believe is a bit "hotter" though I've not bothered to check) functioned in it without issue. My dealer said he'd never heard of the recoil spring issue in the G19's (had for the Gen 4 G17's), but stated he'd test fire and check. We'll see.

Question for you all: If I end up with "mechanic syndrome" and the failures won't show up when the 'mechanic' is looking/shooting, can I just call Glock for the "04" spring? Is there anywhere I can purchase the stock Glock "04" spring so I'm legal for SSP and production?

Thanks...

The G4-19 comes with an "03" spring. My wife's 19 would not cycle shooting FC 115's. I went by Glock HQ and got them to put in the "04" spring. Cycles fine now.Good luck.

Sure enough! I called Glock today and without any hesitation they informed me that my new spring would be in the mail to me. I guess I'll get it Friday or Monday.

Thanks everyone for the help.

• 1 month later...

I also got the 02 spring for my Gen 4 Glock 17. The gun worked most of the time before but now will work with anything I feed it except the sub 130 PF stuff. I will be looking to get the Jager eventually.

Thanks Glock for the freebie but I wish you had a toll free number!

Some of the Gen4 Glock's in 9x19 (G19 & G17) came with springs that were to meet NATO spec's, there for the gun wouldn't cycle factory 115grn ammo from Sammi spec's. Therefor you have to use 124grn factory or heavier, at least to break the gun in. That is straight from Glock! I hope that helps

My G17 gen 4 has had all the same symptoms FTF, failure to slide lock open on last round in mag... all issues point to a spring that is too stiff to cycle the slide properly.

This even after the new 02-1 spring. The G17 is in a box going back to Glock tomorrow. Per the guy that I talked to in support, The 115gr factory loads should function OK, which they weren't.

I can understand that Glock increased the spring due to requirements on one end of the spectrum, but do not understand why they simply don't offer a competition spring for the IDPA, USPSA and other competition shooters. As it is they offer a few different connectors and trigger springs, why is it so hard of a decision to offer 2 different recoil springs? On one hand they do not want you putting any non glock parts in the gun, but on the other hand they ignore the needs of a market segment.

I am hoping to buy a 9mm Glock 19 Gen 4 someday.

How do I know when the time is right so that it will have the right recoil spring in it from the factory?

When buying ammo for it, what power factor should the ammo compute to, for good operation?

I noted using 124 gr. bullets for the break in.

How many rounds should be considered a break in for the gun?

Thanks much.

• 5 weeks later...

So my G19 Gen 4 ran almost everything w/o a hitch. It only had issues with my IDPA 130 power factor reloads. The new spring runs *everything* I put through it. I don't know when the "Right time" is to buy, but if the store will let you field strip the pistol, you can check the spring. Here's a picture of both:

Gen 4 Springs

Again, Glock will send the spring free or charge, so it's just a phone call even if you end up with the "wrong" one.

My G19 Gen4 has the 03 spring, and I haven't had any problems. When I first picked the gun up, I stored it with the slide locked back for several weeks. I also purchased a bunch of 124gr 9mm swiss ammo from ammotogo.com This stuff is hotter than the cheap 115gr walmart stuff. That said, I also did buy some of the cheap federal champion walmart ammo, and did not have any problems with it. No plans to swap to the 04 spring at this point, but may call them and ask for one just so I have a spare spring.

• 1 month later...