Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roger,

What!, no comment on my cat-like recovery reflexes :D For those of you who missed it, try to imagine a Brontosaurus falling in slow motion replay. I'm not positive, but I think I heard someone say, "Look, he's fallen and he can't get up!"

Erik (Gravity is my friend)

It was in fact an awesome recovery, Erik. All kidding aside, many shooters would not be able to get back to business after a tumble like that. The time was still up at the top even with that faux pas. I would have loved to see what it could have been.

Mad,

Your not the only one who wanted to bury their head! I was thinking more along the lines of burying the gun in one sand pile and my head in another!

But, in the end it was a learning experience and I know what I need to work on.

Working Stage 8 all day Saturday was a chore, but was fun as well. By the end of the day the four poppers on the left side were my most hated enemies after I had lifted them what felt like 300 times (7 squads of 11 is only 77 but it felt worse). Running a stage all day I learned a lot about stage design ... poppers will dig pits in the ground after they have been shot all day and change calibration doing it, drop turners need to be oiled every now and then. Pasters that will not stick to targets will stick to everything else.

I would like to hear what people felt was too "gimmicky" ... other than the lawnmower... just so I can learn more about stage designing if nothing else.

James Flowers

On behalf of the South Carolina Section, I want to thank everyone who attended the match and especially everyone who worked the match. I also want to thank our friends from Georgia (Roger and his crew) and North Carolina (Phil Flack and his crew) for bringing stages and working the match.

A special thanks to Herb Jensen and Skip Gilmer for the MANY hours they put into the match. Also, a special thank you to Linda Chico. As usual, the final scores were up within a few minutes of the last shot being fired.

I want to congratulate the Divisional winners as well as our State Champions:

Stu Williams - Open

Jerry Brown - Limited

Bob Bailey - Production

Jerry Duchinski - L10

I look forward to seeing everyone in a couple of weeks at the Area 6. Take care.

Jack Suber

PS -

I did not shoot this match. That was an imposter who was trying to make me look bad.

This was my first major match and I had a great time. Thanks to everyone that helped.

I got my first classification on Wed as D Limited, shot my first major match Saturday and won 1st D limited. I had a GREAT first experiance and cant wait for the Area 6. :D

Jason

PS: I also had my first problem with my pistol when the Bomar sight pin broke sometime during my second stage.

I pity anyone working Skip's stage 8. There were 6 poppers, a swinger, a drop turner, and targets all over the place. I shot the swinger from that really high port, which didn't work out too well because I tried to force a pair of shots before the thing moved behind the no-shoots. That was one of my 3 mikes for the match, with all 3 of them being due to gross stupidity.

I really didn't think the lawnmower was any big deal since it was a disappearing target. For some stupid reason I chased after it with 3 rounds and whacked a no-shoot with the 3rd (didn't need it anyway) shot. I don't think I would have used the lawnmower myself, just because of how jerky the thing moved and the fact it finished in different spots kind of randomly. Since the stage wasn't set up the way it was originally designed and most shooters seemed to shoot everything from the far right corner after they took care of the 2 poppers from the box, where the mower came to rest was fairly important. The far right position wasn't supposed to exist, with everything being shot from the box and 2 ports. By the time the error was discovered, it was way too late to do anything about it.

I was a little disappointed that my stage 7 (Mass Confusion) was a lot like "Fort Anderson" (Stage 2?). I figured a way to skip a reload on "Fort Anderson", then was stupid and reloaded anyway. It was a freebie mistake, since I was reloaded before I got to the next position, but it did throw me off a bit.

I hate it that I can't make the Area 6 match. Maybe next year will be different. I also want to get down to GA and shoot a few of their matches when I get a chance.

I'm not surprised at all. I'm 6 ft tall and still thought the port was too high considering the position of the targets. I don't know how shorter shooters managed to do it without something to stand on.

On behalf of everybody from Team Shooters Paradise I would like to thank everybody for a great match. It was disappointing to see the drop in turnout, because this is truly one of the best matches around. The staff were incredible and as always, Linda Chico and her stats crew were awesome. We finished up almost 2 hours early and the shooters didn't even have to tape or set steel! Put this one at the top of the priority list for next year's matches, you won't be disappointed! Jack, sorry I didn't get to talk to you, hopefully I'll see you at Area 6. Thanks again to all the RO's, you did a great job. You too Roger, it was nice to see you again. :D

You know how Front Sight polls the shooters at the Nationals and publishes what they are shooting and all .... well after sorting two 5 gallon buckets of brass from Stage 8 of the SC State Match I have found that the caliber choice was pretty much what one would expect.

Out of two 5 gallon buckets of brass I got ...

4 quart buckets of 45 ACP

10 quart buckets of 40 SW

7 quart buckets of 38 Super (Super, +p, Comp, and TJ all mixed)

2 quart buckets of 9mm

... and a lot of trash.

I was surprised by two things ...

1) I thought more Open shooters were running 9mm guns, but it looks like 38 super still rules.

2) the number of shooters using Blazer aluminum cased ammo. I was very surprsed at the amount of Blazer I had to pitch.

Oh well, useless info I hope someone found interesting

JFlowers, at least 6 of the open shooters that shot the match were using 9x19 major open guns. i would say that due to the fact that the rule change was made relatively recent that this percentage is pretty strong. and would guess that as more shooters have their guns rebarreled that 9x19 will become more popular. some shooters will also have new guns built as well. in fact shooters who finished 4th, 5th and 6th were all using 9X19. the top three shooters used 38 super but are all sponsored and don't really have to worry about brass cost.good shooting, j.l. hardy

On stage 7 I didn't find any Blazer cases. It looked like maybe 1 shooter did use Wolf though. I just tossed 9mm brass in the trash with the rocks and dirt that didn't get sifted.

Lots of .40, probably beat .38 Super. Of the Super brass, Super Comp was the clear winner, with Winchester +P brass a close second place. Remington was about even with what I'm guessing is Armscor (AP head stamp), Had maybe 1 shooter using 9X21 Starline and 2 using Lapua .38 Super. 1 shooter used Starline non+P brass and a least 1 used whatever the heck had rolled under the loading bench over the years. Had a small amount of .38 auto brass mixed in as well.

I don't think I found enough .45 brass to make up for all the new nickel Starline I left all over the range. Most of the .45 qualified as worn out crap. The 1000+ .38 Super cases made up for that though. I think my retinas are about to reattach themselves after being under the tent with those Open guns firing...

After splitting up the .40 with my taping partner, I still have a ton of it. One of these days I need to buy something to shoot it in or maybe I can trade it for .45 brass.

Occasionally an Open shooter would step up and whatver the hell they were shooting would just rattle my brain. I wonder if the 9X19 major is louder than .38 Super?

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed that not everyone liked my stage. Max singled it out on his web site as needing to be changed before the match. Thought the soft cover should have been hard cover to force the shooters to move. Said he was forced to shoot from one position with some blind shots. From what I saw, most everyone who didn't want a blind shot simply moved, as the box was 10'x5' and every target offered an unimpeded view from somewhere in the box. He initially mentioned the stage as he was detailing some of the more challenging stages from an accuracy standpoint, as this was the stage with eleven 20 yard targets and four head shot targets from 7 to 10 yards.

I still think hardcover would have made it hard on the RO. No way to tell which hit on paper matched up with a hit on the hard cover. As has already been mentioned, steel hardcover would have been the ideal solution. As it was, I designed, built the props, and set everything up with zero help, and that limited my options since I didn't want to simply provide some lame speed shoot stage that would have been easy in every respect.

Under the SC State Results on his site, the top pic shows the left head shot targets and at least one example of the soft cover I ended up using.

Initially it did irritate the heck out of me, having it mentioned on his site, but it was the truth.

It's always hard to hear negative comments about a stage or have someone find a sweet spot that "ruins" my intent for the stage, or take advantage of some mistake to game the hell out of it. I'm normally better at looking at it as a learning experience.

Time to start planning my stage for next year's match.

From the e-mail I got from Max (he does read and respond to e-mails), he strikes me as a really good guy. I know I've never seen anyone so thorough with their pre-buzzer routine. Of course the entire super squad was so serious I'm surprised they can manage to enjoy any of it.