Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Military Regulations

To all you current active members of our proud military:

The local news had a piece on a local Army soldier returning from the war zone speaking at his High School. When they interviewed him he was in uniform sporting a diamond ear ring in each ear!!!:angry2:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me my beloved Army has not gotten this Fked up!

I swear I am about ready to find out what unit this guy is in and call his Division Sergeant Major!

In case my words are not accurately conveying my thoughts on this.

God, I am pissed!

The local news had a piece on a local Army soldier returning from the war zone speaking at his High School. When they interviewed him he was in uniform sporting a diamond ear ring in each ear!!!:angry2:

I swear I am about ready to find out what unit this guy is in and call his Division Sergeant Major!

God, I am pissed!

I can tell you that's NOT the standard, at least not for AD Soldiers stationed at Fort Hood. Was he AD, NG or USAR? Please send me a link to the clip, if you can. I'm currently serving as the SGS for III Corps / Fort Hood and see the Acting Post CSM on a daily basis. With his emphasis on discipline and military bearing, I guarantee he'd get involved to ensure this Soldier gets some remedial training from his NCO chain.

ETA: This shit reminds of the last time I was passing through Kuwait coming out of Iraq. I was awaiting a freedom bird at AAS when I saw this young Soldier wearing a tab that said "Shit Bird" where the "Ranger" Tab should go. I was amazed he was standing in a PX check-out line with several E5s and E6s (I refuse to call them NCOs) who had failed to make the proper on-the-spot correction. The offending Soldier turned out to be a recently deployed NG PFC who claimed he'd been wearing the patch for the past two days since he'd arrived at Ali. Let's just say it turned into a teachable moment for both the Soldier and the E5s and E6s who had failed to enforce standards. Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens when leaders lack moral courage. All we can do is fix these issues as we see them and instill in our junior leaders the courage and conviction to man-up and do the right thing.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Sarge,

It's been a while since I wore the uniform, but no, that's not how it is. PLEASE do call his Sergeant Major and get this taken care of. It's not acceptable for any Soldier, uniform or not, to be wearing an earring in violation of the regulations.

God, I am pissed!

I can tell you that's NOT the standard, at least not for AD Soldiers stationed at Fort Hood. Was he AD, NG or USAR? Please send me a link to the clip, if you can. I'm currently serving as the SGS for III Corps / Fort Hood and see the Acting Post CSM on a daily basis. With his emphasis on discipline and military bearing, I guarantee he'd get involved to ensure this Soldier gets some remedial training from his NCO chain.

ETA: This shit reminds of the last time I was passing through Kuwait coming out of Iraq. I was awaiting a freedom bird at AAS when I saw this young Soldier wearing a tab that said "Shit Bird" where the "Ranger" Tab should go. I was amazed he was standing in a PX check-out line with several E5s and E6s (I refuse to call them NCOs) who had failed to make the proper on-the-spot correction. The offending Soldier turned out to be a recently deployed NG PFC who claimed he'd been wearing the patch for the past two days since he'd arrived at Ali. Let's just say it turned into a teachable moment for both the Soldier and the E5s and E6s who had failed to enforce standards. Unfortunately, this sort of thing happens when leaders lack moral courage. All we can do is fix these issues as we see them and instill in our junior leaders the courage and conviction to man-up and do the right thing.

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_north_cincinnati/hamilton/soldier-to-address-basketball-fans

Thanks Sarge. After watching that video, I'm steaming too. You can't tell me that young PFC didn't know better than to wear those damn earrings while in uniform. This is clearly a case of willful misconduct.

The Soldier is with the 519th MI BN (525th BFSB) stationed at Bragg (18th ABN CORPS). Will send a note to his BDE CSM (CSM Roger N. Daigle Jr) with a link to the video as soon as I return from leave on the 28th. Appreciate the heads up Sarge - this breach of discipline will be addressed.

ETA: His unit is deployed to Afghanistan and he's home on leave. Apparently, like many young Soldiers home on EML, he thinks he can do whatever the hell he wants. He's obviously more concerned about "fitting in back on the block" than he is about presenting himself as a professional Soldier.

• 3 weeks later...

Sarge,

Got feedback from his BDE CSM (CSM Daigle) a couple days ago. He is forwarding the video clip to his BN CSM and assured me the situation would be handled. CSM Daigle said he'd use this as a teaching point to his troops to highlight the fact that when you're in uniform "someone is always watching". I told him that a retired 1SG had sent me the clip; he was proud that, even in retirement, an NCO continues to enforce standards. He asked that I pass along his thanks for bringing this to his attention.

Yeah it's a uniform garment. I see troops wearing those things everywhere but that's another story. Ugh. I know things change and I know there is a war going on but I miss the days when you could only wear the BDU's for a brief stop on the way home or to work.

Anyway, thanks for keeping me posted and thanks to all who serve honorably!:cheers:

Well, I'll tell you what...

Out of uniform,yes....a training opportunity for a young solider on his first enlistment, yes...

But, that story comes off 95% HOORAY.

Totally agree - the story was VERY pro-military and delivered a good message. The only screwed up part was him wearing those damn earrings - something any Soldier who's made it trough basic training knows is wrong.

From Hero to ZERO.

Being in the correct uniform. 101

Maybe he is not a he?

The new Army Shemale.

He has a good old fashioned Ass chewing on the way. And if he was under the wing of his local recruiter that recruiter is going to get it too.

Well, I'll tell you what...

Out of uniform,yes....a training opportunity for a young solider on his first enlistment, yes...

But, that story comes off 95% HOORAY.

Totally agree - the story was VERY pro-military and delivered a good message. The only screwed up part was him wearing those damn earrings - something any Soldier who's made it trough basic training knows is wrong.

He didn't screw up just by wearing the earrings on tv. He's not supposed to be wearing earrings at all for the duration of his enlistment.

What's surprising to me is that he'd go on tv and think that nobody would notice.