Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sick of Rule Inconsistency

kevinpagano

Anybody else sick of the rule inconsistency of the IDPA. I cut my competitive teeth in IDPA. It seems like everytime I turned around I had an Illegal holster that I used for carry. or a plastic plug that is illegal or titanium guide rod that was illegal or some other useless infraction that does not mean anything to anyone but the BOD. I love the concept of IDPA but tired of not know what is legal or not. I guess I should open an account up at Wilson combat.

Now for a Solution and a smaller rule book.

Holsters must meet a minimum measurment requirement distance to body, height on belt, ejection port, no forward cant.

Guns weight and size limits in each division.

Power factor each division.

no porting or comps

notch and post sights

What do you guys think

kevin

I know that all these things are covered in the rules. I just think that most of the things they cover are ridiculous. I am looking for something more simple so that there is not a question or unfair application of the rules. Make the rules easy and easy to understand. For example I have a holster (Safariland 5182) this holster fits very tight to the body. The holster comes with Shims for the more portly fellow like myself. I use this holster with the shims for everyday use. As this is the only way it fits comfortably. IDPA says I cant use these shims that come from the factory with the holster and the holster is on the approved list. This is nonsense. The holster fits tight against my body. ( the pistol frame fits tight against my side and the holster fits tight against my leg). Now who am I gaining an advantage over?

Kevin

Kevin

These things used to annoy me as well. I have since come to understand they are a part of 'realistic training' as advocated by the IDPA. In 'real' life, as opposed to just playing games, there are control freaks, egomaniacs, politics and people who take themselves seriously. So far I have only shot with two clubs but they seem to have gotten the spirit of real life down pat.

Kevin

I looked at the holster - Brian sells it - and the holster appendix from IDPA.It looks to me like you (and it) meet every requirement for 'concealed daily carry'.

Did you get something in writing from IDPA that said the shims were not permitted ? If so, can I see it ? (you can email off line if you prefer).

or did some local make a "ruling" at the club level?

Be advised I have no official capacity with IDPA , but just hate to see a shooter move away from from the sport over something so trivial.

Until that day

Mark

Yes I did get an official answer.

Mr. Pagano,

I'm not familiar with the mag pouches that you are referring to;

however, shims and spacers are only legal in IDPA for women to use.

Though they came with the holster and mag pouches, they cannot be used

by men.

Thanks,

Dru Nichols

IDPA

Administrative Coordinator

ficial ruling from IDPA about the shims here it is.

aikidale, let me be clear that the local clubs have been pretty realistic. It is the national organization that I have difficulty with. I have no ax to grind here. I am not affiliated with IDPA or any of its clubs at this time. This makes the third time I have bought a concealed carry holster that actually fits me and is comfortable and is usable in IDPA competition. And they say that the particular configuration is now illegal. It started with a Hellweg, then a Sidearmor MOdular, now a Safariland 5182. IDPA Said the Hellweg cant be used because of its ability to be worn a certain way, then the Sidearmor because it can be canted muzzle forward, now the Safariland because it comes with some small adjustment shims to help it fit are illegal. Even though all these holsters were on the approved list. I know that Rob Leatham uses the 5182 in IDPA but i do not know if he uses the shims or not. THis is a great holster especially with the shims because i can make it fit my body style.

Kevin