Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 powder measure retrograde

I put the 2 springs on the powder measure tonight. Before hooking up the return rod, I put in a case and cycled the press to see what would happen. The case actuated the powder measure and the springs brought the measure back to the "home" position. I only tested 20 rounds, but it worked great. Before I hose it all up, is there any reason to put the return bar back in? The bellcrank is doing it's job and the anti-return cam is just hangin' out not doin' anything.

Thanks for any input,

Kirk

You absolutely, positively need the rod. Don't even THINK about running w/o it.

[/sopranos Mode]

The powder bar is your #1 protection against squibs.

There's nothing to adapting the rod. Drill a hole and put on the washer and the cotter pin and you're done. If the powder bar should stick (w/o the rod in place), it's going to be squib city. You definitely don't want to be pulling bullets on questionable rounds when your machine can crank out 1000 duds an hour.

KnowhutImean?

:)

I agree with EricW. I like to use every safety device availabe. Although, having a powder check system on the 650 should really make the possibility of squib rounds next to zero. However, I imagine you may sacrifice consistency in precision of your charge if the powder bar 'hangs up'?

Operate the press smoothly and all will be well. The Dillon powder measure is much maligned and highly underrated. A couple years ago, a guy ran a comparison test of numerous powder measures, including a couple of name brand high-zoot "benchrest" measures. The Dillon was as good, or better than every measure tested.

Given the number of times, I've seen the rod actually return a stuck charge bar, there is no way on this earth I would load without the return rod.

I bought my 550 before they had the safety rod, I loaded quite a few rounds thru it without any problem.

BUT

When they came out with the rod, I looked at it and determined it was a really good idea, Dillon offered kits to upgrade the powder measure and I got one, I think the rod is a valuable safety item. :D

Thanks a lot. I will complete the retrograde tonight. I am running a powder check system, but as stated a thousand squibs suck a**. I would run all possible safeties to ensure that every round is perfect. Thanks for the input, I love the retrograde.

A comment was made that "a thousand squibs suck a**. "

Let me tell you that ONE (1) squib sucks a** and can cost you a barrel or even gun.

I was shooting old powder loaded to sub-minor and was having occasional stove pipes because of the light loads. I had one such "stove pipe" or failure to cycle and (being the shooter that I am) cleared the jam quickly and fired the next shot before the RO could stop me. Yep ... stuck one in the barrel and pushed it out with another. Cost me the barrel and nearly the slide. Had to remove the barrel from the slide using excessive persuasion (read BIG hammer). Thankfully the slide suffered nothing more than a few internal scratches from beating out the barrel.

Live and learn.

Leo

.40AET,

No offense taken and no apology necessary ... I was just passing along an experience in hopes that someone else did not repeat my mistakes. Squibs can cause a lot more damage and injury than a DNF. (and I know that there are no more DNFs in the current rules)

Leo

I had one such "stove pipe" or failure to cycle and (being the shooter that I am) cleared the jam quickly and fired the next shot before the RO could stop me.

Ditto.

I did it with a G35. Fortunately, there is a cut out in the slide and it allowed room for the bulge that followed. It was hard to get the barrel out. I had to remove the extractor.