Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

refinishing my single stack gun

midget

Well I got my 1911 back a couple weeks ago and decided to refinish it...

Here are a couple pictures of the process (I like pictures)

This is how it came back from Neil:

IMG_20101212_222720.jpg

After a bit of bead-blasting:

IMG_20101216_210117.jpg

IMG_20101216_210050.jpg

After a little 400 grit paper action (note that those are not scratches, rather they are my oily finger prints... should have cleaned it before taking pictures):

DSC_0514.JPG

DSC_0513.JPG

DSC_0512.JPG

Now I've talked to quite a few guys locally who like duracoat... I've read a lot of good things online, but am always open to different ideas... Right now I'm thinking about using a flat black on top of gun-metal... What do you guys thing?

My new open gun is out getting hard chromed, and cost wise that's just 1/3 more than a paint job.

I do have one of my Open Guns done in TR Coat. it seems to be pretty durable after 8 months of matches only some wear on the bottom from the Ghost holster. Thinking the reality of that, it 12,000 rounds, more than most people shoot in a life time with all their guns.

http://tenring.com/ Alex Hamilton and he supports the sport I won the finish job at a National Steel match.. I think he charges $145 to do a gun and did mine in days.

*12K isn't much for a competition shooter but most gun owners don't shoot much.

Before you refinish it have the trigger guard under cut and blended then checker the front strap. Makes a difference.

Pat

+1

I would definitely do some thing to improve your grip before the final finish is put on.

Remember drawing out of single stack type of holster is hard on the finish. I have ION bond on my single stacks and

it is working very well.

I tried to get to tenring's website, but it is either down or gone... Does anyone have any contact information for them? Also, what patterns do you guys have cut in the front strap?

*edit* I can get to it now

Edited by midget

Hello: I am going to try Duracoat just to keep the bluing from rusting. I would undercut the triggger guard and maybe checker the front strap or just add skate tape. I have a all hard chromed pistol and one that has the lower hard chromed and the upper is Ion Bonded. The Ion Bond finish is wearing through but the chrome looks like new. The next heavy used pistol will get all hardchromed :cheers: I like the front strap to have 20LPI checkering. It gives a great grip but hard on soft hands :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I have one slide with the Ceracote and would not recomend it for a comp gun ... Hard chrome or the new atranite finish from Bobby at freedom is the only two finishes that i would use for a gun you are going to use .

Edited by Shooter32

One last question... Excuse my ignorance when it comes to this... If I wanted to, and kept the metal clean and coated with oil, would the metal on the gun last if I didn't do anything?

Some people shoot their guns in white (raw no finish)until satisfied there done changing things. If rust appears promptly remove it before it pits the surface.