Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's 185gr HBRN .45

Nemo

My STI is the only .40S&W caliber pistol I own. I have two G17's for my kids or for when I want to shoot production. The rest of my mini-arsenal is in .45: my singlestack Colt, my 625 revo and my Glocks 21 and 30.

I want to play production with my G21 as well as get my other toys out more often and maybe try to do the Ankeny feat, only in B-class though. I know BX5 doesn't sound or look as cool, but gotta start somewhere...

I'm about to start reloading for my 45's (thanx Paul Schwenke!!). Have any of you tried the Berry's 185 HBRN in 45? They look like will be pretty reliable, but how 'bout accuracy? What's the purpose of the hollow base?

If I load them with a similar charge as my 180gr major 40's, should I expect a similar feel to them out of my single stack?

What about minor for production? Should I use these light 45's or a slower heavier bullet?

All input is appreciated!

Thanx!

I used the Berry 185 hbrn quite a bit about a year ago. I did not stay with them for two reasons. The primary reason I stopped using them is that they were less accurate for me than the Zero 185 jhp that I use now. The only other real complaint I have it that the Berry's bullets are plated and the Zero's are jacketed. I like jacketed better because it seems to keep my guns cleaner.

-ld

The purpose of the HB is to retain the general outside shape/profile of the 230 grn Roundnose with the weight of the 185. The only way to achieve that profile/weight combo with lead is to take material out of the base. This also has the virtual effect of increasing case capacity, thus lowering pressure; all other factors being equal.