Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with choosing a Limited Gun

:huh: I am very new to the USPSA sport, matter of fact I've only been shooting since late October and attended my first local USPSA match this past Sunday just to watch and learn. I was very surprised to see how friendly everyone was to a Newbie especially the ROs who spent many hours with me trying to explain the match and how everything works. :rolleyes:

I will be shooting a Springfield TGO 1 (which I have yet to fire) in the "Limited 10" since that is the only gun I have that will fit in this class. I am looking to purchase a "Limited" double stack gun and would like some suggestions as far as what would be an excellent choice. I don't mind spending the money for QUALITY craftsmanship now rather then buying something for less and having to pay even more later to upgrade to something better. I know these guns probably don't come with a warranty so it's important that they stand behind their product. I know many will have their opinions and that is fine, I'm looking to be pointed in the right direction. Thank you Brian for your help and I hope my Levitation system equipment gets here in time for my first match.

Newbie,

The tool of choice for limited division is the modular frame pistols as manufactured by STI or Infinity, in 40S&W caliber. I would say that a second option would be the Para-Ordnance P16-40. These are all based on the 1911 design. There are other names and designs also in use, such as the Glock 35 and the CZ IPSC.

The S_I's you can get them as they come from the factory and should work fine as such, then you can add your personal touches as you see fit as time and practice dictate. Or you can order them from different gunsmiths (Brazos, Ross Carter, Dawson, among others) and purchase a truly custom pistol with your personal specs already built into it.

Before you purchase anything, try to shoot the different setups (heavy vs. light, full dustcover vs. traditional length) from fellow shooters. That will help you in the decision process.

Welcome to the game and happy hunting!

B)

Hi Newbie, welcome to the boards :)

My advice is: shoot your TGO1 for some time (say a year from now) and see how you like the sport. Your TGO1 will do great in Limited 10 division.

This will save you money and will give you time to think about what best suits your needs (hell, you might want to shoot Open division six months from now).

What I would do if I were you, is invest some money in reloading equipment as soon as you think you'll keep shooting. Get yourself a nice Dillon and ask someone who has been reloading for some time to help you out. It will save you bigtime in the $$$ection, or it will allow you to shoot more for the same amount of cash.

Just my 2 cents :)

All, thanks for the input up to now. Spook, I forgot to mention I do have a Dillon 550B and I'm reloading .45 for my Trophy match. I'm using VihtaVouri N310, starline brass, and a 185gr LSWC however at 3.7 - 4.4 gr the case will not eject out of the gun. :angry: I'm going to try the max recommended load of 4.6 and maybe replace the 16 lb spring with something lighter as recommended by Springfield and hope that works. I also ordered Oregon Trail 200 SWC to try as that is what I saw on this site. I believe it was mentioned to use 4.5 gr??? Thanks.

Hi newbie, Try HG68 design 200gr, your choice primer, 1.250 +/- .005 OAL, 4.5-4.7gr VV310 for 165-169 PF load, couple that with a 12-16lb recoil spring with or without a shok-buff, and you probably will be a happy camper!. Give it a try and see if you like it better than making major with the 185s. Make Master with that combo and then see what you want for Limited! ;) DougC

use a 12 pound spring and a buff, if it jams remove the buff. as for limited get an svi or sti. the former is more expensive and more technologically advanced. both will last you a lifetime.

And when you go to buy a Limited gun, don't screw around. Either go to a top builder, or buy a gun from *known* shooter that was built by a top builder. The most important thing is not how shiny your gun is, but how well it runs.

As a new shooter I concur that all the previous comments are valid, especially Spook's. IMHO when you do decide to get your next gun give consideration to what everyone around you is shooting. There is something to be said for shooting (manufacturer) what the majority does. If you get a Para 16/40, which is what I have, but everyone else is shooting something else and you need to borrow a part you might have compatibility issues --yes I know alot of parts are interchangable. Also there is something to be said for shooting (division) what the majority does. If eveyone in your club is shooting Limited 10 why be the only limited shooter. Use that other gun money to shoot in out of town matches for awhile.

Thank you all for your valuable comments. It's nice to be able to come to a place like this and get information. Now for the stupid question, what the heck is a Shok-buff or buff mentioned in previous posts? Where can I get one for the Trophy Match? :wacko:

Newbie,

Do you have a Brownells catalog? No? Get one ASAP! You'll be drooling over that book for months, but it's ok, it's the normal body response. :lol:

Recoil shock buffers are polymer (rubbery plastic) donuts that you intall in your guide rod before intalling the recoil spring. Their purpose is to reduce battering of the frame by the slide at the end of its rearward movement. They also shorten the cycle of the slide and some shooters feel less recoil.

In page 94 of the Brownells latest edition you'll find the recoil shock buffers, or go online to brwonells.com and enter item number 426-100-125. Those are the Hiett Technologies Red Buffs, the ones I use in my single stack 45.

Hope this helps.

*Voice of many dollars worth of experince speaking*

DO NOT buy a gun because that's what everyone else on the range is shooting. Because it may not be what works for you. No matter what the "cool" factor is, many times basic is the way to go.

My story, much like you I bought a single stack Springfield 45 to start. Shot exactly one match with it before putting it away to shoot a Para 40. Shot the Para alot, the Para broke alot (not a horrible thing, I managed to learn most of what I know about keeping a gun running from that P16). About the time I got the Para working properly, decided I just "had" to have a long dust cover STI. BIG mistake for me. No matter what I do, I can't get this gun to balance properly for me :blink: . So, I got stuck with a gun I'm not happy with because I didn't shoot enough to learn what I liked. Currently considering major surgery on the STI and/or a new Brazos Limited gun with a short dust cover (plus at this time, I'm shooting the single stack I started with, go figure).

The moral is, shoot as many different guns as you can. Most shooters are going to be cool with you running 15 or 20 rounds through their gun if you explain you want to learn what you need in a gun. Shoot light guns, heavy guns, short guns, long guns, pretty guns, ugly guns, anything you can get your hands on. Ask someone that you shoot with on a regular basis if you can borrow their gun for a match. My brother just got done specing a 4k dollar open blaster. He didn't drop that kind of money without shooting ALOT of differnet guns. Figure a Limited gun is going to run anywhere from 2-3 thousand bucks, make sure you know what to buy the first time. Then, as Eric mentioned below, don't screw around with a half assed builder, get it from someone you know will get it right the first time. Just my amateur opinion, but that would be my road to Limited gun happiness.

Everyone has said what I would have said, but it is important to shoot as many guns AND load combo's you can. I have never heard anybody turn anyone down about shooting their toys..................Just ask & enjoy..........

Newbie, you just got a bunch or real good advice here. Just change you bullet to the lazercast 200 at about 170 power factor and try to wear that springfield out. By then you will know exactly what you want in a pistol. When you are ready give Benny Hill a call and get fixed up with a sti that will get the job done for you. Kyle, send that boat anchor sti to Benny for a fat free job and you will enjoy ot a lot more. Larry

Buy an STI Edge, have Keal Mfg deck it out for you, and shoot it in Limited AND Limited 10. Then sell the Springfield for reloading equipment!

That should get some people going!

Phil

Buy an STI Edge, have Keal Mfg deck it out for you, and shoot it in Limited AND Limited 10. Then sell the Springfield for reloading equipment!

That should get some people going!

Phil

Time to start banning the infidels....

:P

I have a para 16-40 I had done by cylinder and slide. it is sweet.

But I keep wondering if I would shoot better with an svi?

Probably not but it sticks in my head.

Like everyone has said start shooting and you will learn what you want.

I changed my front sight 4 times and wound up putting one of my first choises back on.

Live and learn.

Happy Shooting.

Newbie, welcome.

No one has touched on it since it was first mentioned, but when (not if) you buy that reloading press get the 650 or 1050. The initial investment is not that much more than a 550, (speaking of the 650 of course) but you'll thank yourself later.

Also I agree about shoot what you have. If you already own a TGO you are obviously not short of cash. I shot a tuned Kimber for my first year or so, classified "B" right out fo the box with it.

KYLE, I agree with you about what works, and that short DC limited guns work for me (apparently you too).

I am leaving the CONUS for a few years for work, but have had too many built. You will likely see my super spiffy gunsmith tuned STI EAGLE up for sael as soon as it get back from the platers. Kyle, I'll get you pics if you are interested.

Get a good press, get reliable equipment, learn the game, HAVE FUN. Then WAY later, spend the bigger bucks on a race gun.

DVC

I changed my front sight 4 times and wound up putting one of my first choises back on.

Live and learn.

Happy Shooting.

Dang! I'm doing the same with my springs! The only one that I haven't really toyed with is the one in the plunger tube....hmmm, ya think it'll improve the way I flick my safety if I change it?... :P:lol:

Newbie, from somebody who started with a singlestack, get good with it and practice like there's no tomorrow. Once you decide on a widebody (I also suggest any of the S_I platform), you'll realize it's like cheating... :lol::ph34r: