Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 21 for USPSA Production Div.

Nemo

After getting my G30 (pdw) I mentioned to my wife that it would be nice to have the G21 to complete the Glock ".45 gorditas combo". So, she got it for me as Christmas gift (BLESS HER HEART!!). Now I have a brand new G21 sitting in my safe doing nothing.

Even though I don't shoot much production anymore and I have two G17's, decided to do something with the 21. Got 3 more mags (now have 5) at a gunshow a couple of weeks ago, an Uncle Mike's "el cheapo" plastic holster, and unearthed four realy old SL pouches... VOILA! A production rig for the 21.

Do any of you hardcore Glockers use a 21 for any of the games?

For my minor 45's I'll be experimenting with Berry's 185gr HBRN plated bullets over VV n-320 (will be starting with 4.5gr @ 1.125" COL). Any load or spring suggestions?

Looking forward to your responses and thanx!

I would load the Berrys bullet to regular 230gr bullet OAL, which escapes me right now, but I think around 1.210 or so. I would also try VV310 if you have it but VV320 should work fine. Use whatever you have and dry fire with the GLock, and it wont matter what you stuff in the mag. Have FUN! DougC

What's to know? Go shoot!!! :)

You might need to trim your mags springs down a bit if you are using new 10-rounders. It can be a pain to get 10 +1 to run sometimes. Especially if you load it down to Minor and go with a lighter recoil spring.

There are a few "Limited 8" type matches around here, they don't have a power factor (gotta knock the steel down). Plenty use G21's.

Thanx guys!

Yeah Flex, the mags are a beeatch to fully load. One coil off OK?

What's the factory recoil spring poundage on the 21, and what's out there to replace it to shoot minor?

Gracias again!

You wrote: "I'll be experimenting with Berry's 185gr HBRN plated bullets over VV n-320 (will be starting with 4.5gr @ 1.125" COL). Any load or spring suggestions?"

I helped a good friend set up his XL650 & that same load! (Berry's 185 HBRN + N320). Only change we made was to load it out to the magic 1.260". Due to the extremely large cavity in the base & longer OAL, we got lower velocity than in the V V manual (no surprise) & had to bump up the charge a little (still stayed inside book loads). We were going for major, not the minor you seek for Prod. Check the new V V data online; there may be an N310 load for 185s & that would be even better than the excellent N320. Get a lighter spring & you are money.

Hi Nelson,

Spook is correct - I shoot a Glock 21 in IPSC Production Division and, although IPSC does not have a 10 round limit, I don't feel disadvantaged when shooting against higher capacity guns because all matches I shoot abide by the "no more than 9 rounds from a single position or view" credo, and there's usually plenty of running (wobbling?) space when I can reload (or fumble one). I just find that the larger G21 frame suits my hands better than the G17.

I've been doing the same thing for years in IPSC Standard Division, but it was very tough to compete against S_I genre guns, however now I'm a happy camper.

And David Sevigny, if you're reading this, there's definitely no need to look over your shoulder <_<

Since you can't add much weight to a Production gun, I'd say the G21 is a very good choice. It's heavier to start with than the 9mm/40cal Glocks.

I've owned a G17 in 9mm and a G20 in 10mm, as well as the G35 I shoot now. The G20 had maybe one ounce added to it and it shot SOFT with 180pf loads.

Shooting .45 at minor pf may be the most valid reason ever to try plated bullets. Don't have to push them over 900fps. You're fine with N310 at minor pf too. Check the accuracy often & best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely! :D I shoot my G-21 in Limited, Limited-10 (Untill I had Baby built, see gallery) and Production divisions. I simply remove the magwell and adjust the holster for Production division. Great fun. B)

• 8 months later...

I'm pulling this back to the top for more info on G21 loads. With AWB gone and 7 new standard cap G21 mags seating a mag with 10 in it will be a breeze. I've put some CGR bomars on for sights, Agrip, and a fobus holster until I find a Kytac for it. I have VVN320 and about 1000 Hornady 185 JHP that I'm looking for a place to start for a good minor load. I've also put a tungsten guide rod and lighter spring in.