Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unbelieveable Milling job!

Corey

I went to school to learn how to do stuff like that. Now I have a job that I do basic machining on a large machine and people don't know why I feel bored at work. BYW that cnc program was probably written using mastercam or a similar cad/cam software. If you can draw it up and have a capable machine it can make a program for you.

That is one expensive demo. I can't imagine what it cost. The chunk of aluminum alone had to be several hundred dollars. To get that kind of finish, I'm guessing it took something in the range of 20 hours to machine that part. We do a few parts like that at work. It's pretty amazing to watch the machine take a big chunk of aluminum and turn it into a finished part.

We have some of those neat milling machines also. I think our big dawg is only a 4 axis model. The 3 axis mills run all day long. One day last summer they had the door open back to the shop and something was just screamin! I walked back there and the machinist was sitting with his feet up on a table reading the paper. I asked him what the roar was. He said it's the mill head. It spins at like 40,000 rpm! And that was just one of the 3 axis models. The 4 axis one is big enough you can get inside!