Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What limited sights?

rtr

Just put a free float handguard with a weaver gas block in front of it, contemplating what front sight to buy, I currently have an ARMS #40 rear, also have a carry handle I could use. So is the JP fancy shcmancy front sight really worth it, or should I go with the traditional front sight with a fiber optic post? Or something else entirely? Thanks.

I just took a class from Mike Voight and he talked about a limited front sight for an AR that has a small ring with a duplex crosshair in the center. He was saying the ring acts like a ghost ring for the close in stuff and the fine crosshair works good for the long range shots because you can see the target when you hold over. Since I don't shoot limited I did store the name of the maker, maybe someone else knows but its a suggestion.

Sounds like a KNS Precision crosshair.

The JP is just a Lyman, not particularly fancy or schmancy in respect to other globe front sights.

The best limited front sight is a high-power "match rifle" style globe front as far forward as you can get it, with the insert of your choice (crosshair or post). More sight radius, more adjustability, more choices (inserts).

Probably one of the non-ladder sights; the ladders don't look like they could hold up to smacking a prop. I'm pretty sure my RPA is 18mm but not sure of its height.

Ultimately, you want a sight height of about 2.5" to match the rear sight height. The ones with the slots accept the aperture discs; the ones without the slots accept screw-in apertures, presumably more expensive.

Don't get a non-adjustable base like this....

barrelband.gif

...unless you match the globe height nearly perfectly and you are willing to use up your rear sight elevation to establish your zero. Get an adjustable base like this Lipski...

base1_thmb.gif

...or this Schuster...

100000499.JPG

(That lockable, adjustable wheel looks cool. I wish my Accuracy Speaks base did that.)

Realize these one-piece bases are going to require disassembly of your upper if you've got a muzzle brake or something that prevents sliding them on. Somebody must make a two-piece design that you can put on a rifle with a muzzle accessory. The other problem is matching your barrel diameter. I had to get a bushing with my base.

OK, so maybe it's just easier to put the JP or something on your existing gas block base. :) I haven't found the extended sight radius much of a benefit for long range targets, but it turned out to be hot shjt on close targets.

If you want to be dissuaded from this route, extending your sight radius will make your rear sight adjustment increments finer. It turned my (supposedly) half-MOA elevation and windage clicks to .45 MOA per click. This could be a problem if your rear sight has a limited elevation range and you need to dial in some E for a long target. (E.g., compensating for 9" bullet drop at 300 yards requires 3 MOA.)

The ARMS #40 seems to lack elevation adjustment. In that case I would go with the carry handle if you may encounter targets beyond 200 yards, so you can dial in some E.

The JP detachable sight bases (JPFS) are adjustable and very strong when locked. The JPSB is a barrel collar with rail that the JPFS adjustable base clamps onto if you don't have a rail top gas block or want the extra sight radius. I like the Lyman/JP globe with a crosshair and circle insert.

There are several rear options available from JP ranging from clamp on A2 type sights, on up to Lyman and RPA precision rear sights.

Up close and out to about 40 yards, the whole globe and a large A2 rear aperture form a very accurate two eyed open ghost ring setup and you can just ignore the insert for the most part.

http://www.jprifles.com/DetachableSights.shtml

--

Regards,

Up close and out to about 40 yards, the whole globe and a large A2 rear aperture form a very accurate two eyed open ghost ring setup and you can just ignore the insert for the most part.

Eyup. For the close-but-not-hoser-range (<25 yards) shots I had a great idea that went nowhere... double up on the inserts: a thin post and a cut-down thicker one. Sight with the thick portion for up close, and it compensates somewhat for the sight height.

I got the thinnest post OKweber had and I still want something smaller.

I'm still a Luddite when talking iron sights. On an AR, I prefer a same plane rear apeture with smaller apetures than stock. I prefer a front post turned to about .040. But I am interested in the ARs that have extended sight radius by adding a front sight base toward the muzzle.

I've played with the other styles but I'm not convinced that they're better as an all-around sight. Apeture front sights rock on plates but I don't like them as much as a post for all around use. Fiber optics on an AR? I've seen the ads but not one on a rifle. How skinny is the post? I really doubt that it would improve ones times on short range targets but I'm prepared to be proven wrong.

I know Todd Salmon tried a KNS crosshair last year at SMM3G and did not seem to like it. He could have changed his mind though.

Actually, I found aperture inserts in my globe front sight didn't work on steel plates. You'd think all those concentric circles would be a hit, but.. yuck. The post rules.

Yesterday I shot at 175-210 yards. The IPSC target at 185 was smaller or about the same size as my post width. Ditto for the two side-by-side US Poppers at 175.

kellyn, check out my rifle at SMM3G and tell me you wouldn't kick Cooley's ass with its sights. :)

• 2 weeks later...