Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a Double swinger w/2 threats legal?

ThreeHeadedDog

The club I shoot at regularly does a double swinger with 2 threats set up behind barrels arrayed 2 high, 1 high, 2 high with the barrels touching. This makes it like shooting at them through a window or something and of course they dissapear on both sides of the swing.

The biggest problem I have with this is the swingers are set at different speeds and you have no way of knowing if the one coming across is one you have already shot twice or the one you have not shot yet. I truly hate when I see this as it is (at least in my eyes) not a skill test but a roll of the dice. I have seen people drop a whole mag into the swingers to aviod failure to neutralize only to hit the same swinger all the time and never hit the other.

Our club recently purchased one of these. Not sure about the answer to your question but one solution would be for the club to stencil a weapon on one and not the other.

Thanks for the idea for the next stages that I design.

If there is really NO WAY to track which is which IMO it shouldn't be used. We have a double swinger- but they swing at the same speed so it's not terribly difficult tracking them... providing you pay attention. Luck should never be part of a good stage.

Edited by lugnut

It's a shooting challenge. Deal with it. Anything that is more challenging than a static 2-dimensional target is a good thing in my opinion. And, yes it is perfectly legal.

Steve- if there is really no way for a shooter to determine which threat is appearing and the appearance is totally random- you would be ok with that?

What if you could set up a system where target A and target B would appear for 1 sec at a time but you had no idea which would appear when... you could see say A-A-B-A-B or B-A-B-B-B, etc. but had no way to determine A from B- that would be ok with you?

Randomness like this has no place in a match IMO.

Edited by lugnut

From my experience with our double swinger, it would be entirely possible to have shoot through opportunities because they frequently swing together. This would be in violation CoF rule 8.

You would have to eliminate shoot thrus- it's easy to do- put hardcover or non threats in front of where the two threats overlap.

• 10 months later...

Are they swinging from different sides of the opening?

People often hate things that they do not practice. While this double swinger may be hard for you to practice, it should be viewed as a challenge. The more you see this dreaded thing, the better you will get at shooting it, right? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I have shot these types of targets at matches, but I don't think they are legal.

CoF 8. No threat target shall be located so that it can be hit by

shooting through another threat target.

edit: I think I might have read into the question wrong...but I'll leave my answer anyway.

Edited by waktasz