Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do to your weapon AFTER a match or training?

BhmJeep

I have been paying a lot of attention lately to folks post practice / match routines and rituals. We are a very diverse group to say the least. :surprise:

I usually unload all of my mags and wipe them down with a clean silicone cloth, field strip and spray everything down with M-Pro solvent and let it sit a few minutes then run my bore snake thru 4 or 5 times. Nylon brush the breach, then clean and dry everything. Run my oily mop down the barrel a couple of times, then put it all away and head home. When I get home in the next day or so I do a through cleaning on each fired weapon. I find that cleaning my guns is relaxing.

What about you guys?

Mike

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will usually inspect and clean my competition guns 3 or 4 times a season.

Other than that maybe a little lube before the event.

After that...stoke it up, run it hard and have fun!

I have been competiting in the shooting sports for better than 20 years and it is the shooting that is relaxing for me.

I have been told that I have poor gun hygiene, but my guns always seem to run.(heck they occasionally win!)

Each to their own.

Patrick

I will usually inspect and clean my competition guns 3 or 4 times a season.

Other than that maybe a little lube before the event.

After that...stoke it up, run it hard and have fun!

I have been competiting in the shooting sports for better than 20 years and it is the shooting that is relaxing for me.

I have been told that I have poor gun hygiene, but my guns always seem to run.(heck they occasionally win!)

Each to their own.

Patrick

+1

Mags will get cleaned with a dry brush inside and wiped down with a dry rag on the outside. Gun will get a few drops of oil before the start of the next practice/match.

Pat

I put them back into my gun safe. lol I havent done a thing to them until january. I do a full take apart clean up and replace all my springs in jan. I may run a bore snake through them a few times a summer that would be it.

Cleaning guns relaxing :roflol: Dude, I've got better things to do! When I lived in NM, I would drive home, put the guns in the safe, dump my ammo in my match (or practice bin), and put my empty cases in the tumbler...that's it. My mags get taken apart and cleaned each time they hit the ground, so I wouldn't do anything to them at all. If it happened to be a rainy match, I would wipe down the gun and mags with a dry cloth.

Here in MI, with so much more humidity, I wipe down the gun(s) and mags with a very lightly oiled rag, and clean the guns maybe every 1-2K, or before a major match. Ask anybody that I've shot with, nobody has more reliable stuff than I do....and cleaning guns does little/to nothing to help that (assuming you're not running some really super dirty ammo).

Lots of spirited discussion on the topic in this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98737&view=findpost&p=1128682

Edited by G-ManBart

Shooting a Glock the past year has made me realllly lazy when it comes to cleaning. I bring my bag in, toss the guns in the safe and head upstairs to wait for match results. I bought a used G34 about four months ago and cleaned it when I got it when I did the trigger job. I'm sure I'll clean it again before the winter is over. I do add a bit of oil every now and then. I do clean my 1911s a bit more often. Probably every one to two thousand rounds.

I guess I can't escape my dad. Everything he had had to be spotless. I swear if he could, he would prolly clean between shots.

I guess I could start some 12 step plan to quit cleaning.... but from beyond the grave... "Boy!! Did you clean your guns before you put them up? I don't belive you, clean 'em again..."

I'll oil my competition gun before a local match but only if it needs it. I clean the mags and gun before a major match. But, I have at times gone to oil my gun before a local match and give it a very quick cleaning due to it being a bit too dirty. Otherwise, as long as it's oiled properly, it'll shoot.

Well I've never fallen asleep cleaning my guns so its not that relaxing. But I always clean my competition guns before each match, I like to say before as I may just put it away when I get home and then clean later. The average match is 150 rounds so I guess I'm cleaning mine 10 times more often than Bart. I use the Schuemann method of cleaning on the Barrel, I shoot new bullets down it. Mags always get unloaded at end of match.

The enviornment here could be part of the key, its sandy dustyt dirty humid, so some grit gets in the gun. I also use cheap dirty powder, AA#7, Silhouette, TiteGroup etc.

I clean when the gun is dirty, I lube when the gun is dry. The mags get cleaned EVERY time they hit the ground.

Beyond that... nothing. Once in a blue moon I'll detail strip.

I've NEVER had a jam of any sort with either Tripp Research 2011. Never.

I clean right after any match or practice no matter how many rounds are fired, at the Nationals I will clean each night. That goes for my rifles, shotguns and pistols. Nothing goes back in the case/safe until its clean.

Must be the military training kicking in. I may not have a Master Corporal or Sgt inspecting them anymore but I've always cleaned like I do.

I cant say that i am a clean freak, maybe 2 or 3 times per yr ill go ahead and clean them, or usually if someone wants to look at em and maybe shoot em, ill wipe em down and or tear em apart after that, i have onethat is still in the white that gets a lot of wiping down, and now that we are in the rainy season, ill tear apart my mags after the match, if its a downpour, the gun will get it too...

I dump all my live rounds in my box in the garage and bring all my gear upstairs to my practice room. Then I load up my mags with dummy rounds and leave everything there for the next day's dryfire practice. That's pretty much my whole after-match routine.

I try to clean 'em once a month or every thousand rounds, whichever comes first. Sometimes I may go several months though (when I'm only shooting a couple hundred rounds a month; I clean them more if I'm shooting more).

So not near as much as the guys who clean them every time they're fired, but quite a bit more than the once-a-year crowd.

(And my dad was a Marine who taught me to clean the guns as soon as you got back home with them. But I got over that. :closedeyes: )

If it's a defensive weapon that I carry more or less every day, I like to clean it once a week or so even if it hasn't been fired, just to get the dust and lint out of it.

Empty the mags. Give the guns a stern look, and close the safe. Every 2K rounds or so I wipe the feed ramp, clean the pin channel and look at the extractor. Oil or grease it if things look dry.

I use all the spare time to case gauge ammo. Much better use of time. I haven't had a stoppage in a couple years.

Nothing. Usually it goes right back into the safe. Mags might get wiped down or the gun may get cleaned before a big match; otherwise it just eats up the ammo. Glocks are good like that. :cheers:

Yeah, mine are too! :cheers: Oh wait I don't run plastic :sight::roflol:

I'm kind of like G-man wipe them down and back in the safe. I'll usually detail clean a match or to before a major so I can get some rounds back through it before the major. The mags get cleaned if its a dusty match or they look dirty. My SS mags have been pretty good to me in that they don't get a lot of crap in them.