Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Measuring with calipers

The_Vigilante

Have a dumb question I need to get answered. When measuring the crimp should I use the end of the caliper where it comes to a point (at least mine do) or more to the middle of the caliper? I am getting different measurements between the two locations. Should I get the same meaurements from both locations? Please school me on measuring with a caliper. Thanks

Edited by The_Vigilante

i try to use the end of the blade near the points as its thinner up there. I can keep consistency in the measurements by doing that. plus with the thinner blade, its easier to get the measurement closer to the case mouth. YMMV

I do not measure crimp. I eyeball it.

To measure crimp, you first have to have all the cases trimmed to the exact came length. Otherwise the crimp die will apply more crimp to longer cases and less crimp to shorter cases. Measuring the crimp on untrimmed brass would cause nothing but frustration.

Corey,

Aren't some barrel chambers more sensitive to crimp than case gauges?

Too much crimp and they have a tendency to go in past the shoulder and lock up the gun...Ask me how I know this... :surprise:

In all reality, it's not a crimp anyway, it's just removing the bell/flair you put in the case in the powder drop. Unless you are loading for a revolver...

• 2 weeks later...

Frank,

I use about .004 crimp on my pistol calibers. Use the very end of the case and use the fine ends of the calipers. your case should not look like a 30-30 winchester. too much crimp and taper then..

Crimp is very much gun-dependent. I have two nearly identical 38SC guns - one eats any ammo you give it, no problem with zero crimp. The other one will choke on each tenth round if you don't crimp somewhat aggressively. At that point it becomes 100% reliable.

Bottom line - general recommendations, without direct experience with a particular gun, are not too useful. It makes sense to start with close to zero crimp, and see if that works - doing so will extend the brass life. Then add crimp if the gun doesn't feed reliably.

Too much crimp and they have a tendency to go in past the shoulder and lock up the gun...Ask me how I know this...

That really should not happen, as the extractor should keep the round from moving forward. In fact many people shoot .40S&W ammo in their 10mm guns thank to that effect.

• 3 weeks later...