Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AWB fails

old shooter

I can't believe that 3 of the Republican Senators didn't vote for the repeal of the AWB. Open and Unlimited shooters could have benefited from a small reduction in the price of mags, I think. So much for my pistol gripped, removable mag 10/22 "assult weapon". I would like to put a threaded weight on the bbl but the Ban prevents this. And don't even get me started about the

"Gun Show LOOPHOLE"

Mike

Two of the "yea" votes were from Indiana :ph34r:

If I get responses to the letters I sent via email, I'll post them here. I'm curious if Sedro has a response to this issue and if they sent any correspondence regarding the matter to anyone.

I can't believe that 3 of the Republican Senators didn't vote for the repeal of the AWB. Open and Unlimited shooters could have benefited from a small reduction in the price of mags, I think. So much for my pistol gripped, removable mag 10/22 "assult weapon". I would like to put a threaded weight on the bbl but the Ban prevents this. And don't even get me started about the

"Gun Show LOOPHOLE"

Mike

Technically, it wasn't to repeal the AWB, it was a bill to protect gun manufacturers from lawsuits. Unfortunately, a couple bad amendments were added, including an amendment to extend the AWB, so it was killed.

I'm confused, the newstories linked above say the bill passed, but I got an email from my GOA affiliate saying "S.1805 Monstrosity dead" What gives?

rtr,

The overall Bill was S.1805 that protects firearms manufacturers from liability lawsuits when their guns are used in crime. This is good. However, there were two amendments added S.Amdt 2637 which extends the Clinton Ban 10 years and S.Amdt 2636 which closed the "gun show loop-hole." These amendments were voted on to be added to S.1805. The link I posted shows who voted to add S.Amdt 2637 to S.1805. This is bad.

The addition of the amendment to extend the Clinton Ban basically made the supporters of the original bill abandon it. Hence the 90-8 vote to reject the overall bill. The Democrats basically were able to kill this Bill by adding an amendment to it that the original supporters did not want - the extension of the Clinton Ban. The final choice was accept lawsuit protection and accept 10 more years of Clinton Gun ban or reject both.

PhilTerry is right. There is still a chance that the AWB will expire in September now. However, expect to see firearms manufacturers continue to cover their behinds. STI apparently is not shipping to California for liability reasons. This will probably continue now.

Short Round has it right (excellent summary).

I was very upset early this afternoon when the amendments were added to S.1805. S.2637 passed 52-48 with the help of the Indiana Senators. ARGH! When I learned of this, I was upset both because it got added and because no one took me seriously when I warned people it might happen.

Then late this afternoon I learned that the newly amended S.1805 failed miserably, ostensibly because of the amdendments. Overall, I think it's a victory because it shows that it's unlikely that either house will be able to pass a bill that would repeal the sunset of the AWB.

It's a shame to lose S.1805, but in reality we need far more comprehensive tort reform and such a law was not even a very good bandaid. In addition, many states have passed or will pass similar laws, so a Federal isn't crucial (in my opinion), especially since the courts themselves are dismissing the suits for the most part.

The extension of the AWB is the true evil we have to FIGHT.

We dodged a bullet with all of our names on it today. DO NOT GET COMPLACENT. Keep contacting your legislators and reminding them how you feel. Write letters, send FAXes, call on the phone, and e-mail!

The extension of the AWB is the true evil we have to FIGHT.

We dodged a bullet with all of our names on it today.  DO NOT GET COMPLACENT

Yeah, keep it in mind. We LOST the Senate AWB vote, despite our efforts.

Fifty-Two Senators said "Screw You". If anybody thinks they'd vote any differently on a straight "Renew the AWB" bill, wake up and smell the Maku Mozo.

The only hope is the House or two Senators switching sides. Odds of that??

Political Science 101...

" Give and take is the key ingredient in getting legislation passed in this country"

Senate Majority Leader William Frist.

" I wonder when I'll get...instead of getting taken" <_<

Law Student Chuck DiSalvo

It isn't over yet...call your Congressman/Congresswoman. ;)

My letters to the embarassing senators from Indiana were fairly tame.

I knew that Evan Bayh was going to follow lock step with the left. He's a moron and idolizes Klinton. ( not sure which one he want to be like most thou...)

I'm very disappointed in Richard Lugar. I've foolishly voted for him in the past. He's very old and I hope doesn't seek office again, but if he does I'll activily seek to disuade his supporters.

Like BigDave I'll post the response letters from these two if I recieve any. But after they read my follow-up to the vote letters I doubt I will.

Anyone wanna run for the senate from Indiana???

:(:(:(

You were shocked about Feinstein and Boxer? Those two are an anti as they get. :ph34r:

Maybe the emoticon was too small and you missed it. :huh:

I sent letters to both of the Senators from my state of Massachusetts concerning these bills as well. I expect about the same response as Warpspeed. :angry:

(sound of crickets chirping) Hello! HELLO!!! Taxation without representation anyone? :unsure: