Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Touching the Void

benos

Could be one of the few (or only) movies where I actually read the book before seeing it.

The book was given to me by WFMFT some years ago... What a chilling read. So, I was pretty excited to see it was now a movie, but was worried it would be "Tom Cruised" to death. And was I happy to see that isn't the case.

If you've ever done any serious mountaineering, it might, as WMFT said, be too close to home. And he also said "that speaks volumes for the films authenticity." But regardless... I can't think of words to describe it.

It might be hard to find or see, it was only showing at one local "artsy" theater here... But if you can, see it, if you dare.

be

I heard good things about it from some of my climbing buddies that saw a preview-- not like that truly lousy Vertical Limit (Vertically Challenged as we like to call it). I read the book years ago.

No nitro and very little rope-cutting from what I've heard. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is such a fantastic film and book, I saw it three times at the cinema and have bought the DVD. It was the first time I've ever suffered from vertigo whilst watching a film!!

It is a lesson in perseverence of the human spirit and adversity over the elements, winning against seemingly unbeatable odds. The scene with "Boney-M" playing in the background blew me away.

Definitely worth a watch :D

I agree.. I saw this on DVD a few weeks ago with some rock climbing (but not mountaineering, and now no plans to start) friends. One amazing story. On the DVD, definately hit the 'What Happened Next' segment too,

That was unique. I don't think I've ever seen a movie with re-enacted scenes narrated by the actual participants. It was like TLC or History Channel or something. Yet they used the actual participants in some of the long distance shots.

Man, oh man was that scenery awesome.

The better DVD extra was the return to the mountain segment. There were some interesting goings-on with the two guys there, especially Simon.

I read somewhere that when people share harrowing, stressful, near-death experiences, the survivors invariably come out of the situations alienated. Close-knit families end up not speaking to each other after days in a life boat. I think there was some of that going on.

My big problem with the movie was that it gave me flashbacks to my comparatively pathetic incident.

They put on fairly regular talks relating to the experience and others that they've had, but they're always sold out well in advance :angry:

Never mind, I'll get to see one of them eventually.

This was one of the climbing books i read during my year in Nepal. GREAT book, and I always recomend reading the book before you see the movie if possible. Makes me think even less of the people in HollyWood.