Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Casefeeder Stoppages

Sometimes when I am running my casefeeder on my 650 it stops working. I have tried it on high and low speeds, I have also tried adjusting the tension screws on the plate as well. It doesn't seem to matter how many cases are in the casefeeder itself. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does do it about every other time that I sit down to use it. Any help?

Is the micro switch operating properly?

Dillon will fix this for you. Box it up, and feed them by hand until they resolve your issue. Service from Dillon is the best in the business.

The switch clicks into place when I change positions, and sometimes it runs, but I have no idea what's going on. I am probably just going to send it back to Dillon. I am just trying to avoid that happening. I am hoping that is just something minor, or maybe I am doing something dumb. The latter is probably the right answer, but I can't figure it out.

In my experience that could be caused by slippage in the disc clutch. Simply tightening the screws works to some extent, but at some point the plastic is worn enough so metals hits metal without clamping the plastic. On one of my presses I had to take the part and cut it slightly on the lathe, then it started making contact again. If you take the clutch apart you will know what I mean.

Is the clutch (metal center part with two socket head cap screws) turning? One thing I have seen is the arm on the micro switch,being a little long, will stick on the case feed tube in the open position. If this is happening trim the tube a bit.

Need more info: What caliber? Which casefeed plate? How much brass is in the hooper (by volume)? Does the disc quit turning, or is the case jamming where it exits the bottom of the bowl? High speed, low speed, or both?

Need more info: What caliber? Which casefeed plate? How much brass is in the hooper (by volume)? Does the disc quit turning, or is the case jamming where it exits the bottom of the bowl? High speed, low speed, or both?

Caliber is 9mm, with the small plate. It doesnt matter the volume, whether it's almost empty to a couple of hundred rounds. The disc quits turning, and it stops on both speeds.

In my experience that could be caused by slippage in the disc clutch. Simply tightening the screws works to some extent, but at some point the plastic is worn enough so metals hits metal without clamping the plastic. On one of my presses I had to take the part and cut it slightly on the lathe, then it started making contact again. If you take the clutch apart you will know what I mean.

That sounds like it might work, but I do not want to void the warranty of the casefeeder. That is one of the biggest reasons that I went with the Dillon is their no b.s. warranty. Thanks for the input though.

Climb up on a stepladder so you can watch the process. After turning it on,when the case feed plate quits turning, see if the shaft of the motor is still rotating. Does it stop without any brass in the feed bowl?

Climb up on a stepladder so you can watch the process. After turning it on,when the case feed plate quits turning, see if the shaft of the motor is still rotating. Does it stop without any brass in the feed bowl?

OK I will check that out tomorrow after I get out of work. I will let you know. Thanks.

Without any brass any the hopper, the shaft fails to rotate. I guess I need to send it back to you guys. The thing that puzzles me is that it doesn't happen all the time.

Sounds like an electrical issue.

Yeah that is what I am thinking. I plugged a few different things into the same outlet and they worked fine, so I guess the wiring in the casefeeder is on the fritz, oh well.

Without any brass any the hopper, the shaft fails to rotate. I guess I need to send it back to you guys. The thing that puzzles me is that it doesn't happen all the time.

How old is the case feeder? If more than just a few years, then it is possible it has the problem I had on mine. The motor simply refused to spin. Given the price of a new motor, I took the old gearbox apart, and sure enough, the first gear was plastic, not metal. With time and lube the plastic had become swollen, and it would not spin freely on its shaft. Carefully opening up the hole with a right size drill did the trick, and the hopper has been running perfect for over a year now. I think I had to drill out the rivets in order to take the gearbox apart, so I then tapped the holes for screws. The motor for some reason is not covered by warranty.

Edited by Foxbat

How old is the case feeder? If more than just a few years, then it is possible it has the problem I had on mine. The motor simply refused to spin. Given the price of a new motor, I took the old gearbox apart, and sure enough, the first gear was plastic, not metal. With time and lube the plastic had become swollen, and it would not spin freely on its shaft. Carefully opening up the hole with a right size drill did the trick, and the hopper has been running perfect for over a year now. I think I had to drill out the rivets in order to take the gearbox apart, so I then tapped the holes for screws. The motor for some reason is not covered by warranty.

The case feeder is less than six months old. So the motor is not covered under warranty, I wonder why that is?

The case feeder is less than six months old. So the motor is not covered under warranty, I wonder why that is?

My friend had a similar problem it ended up being the micro switch. His was a few months old, he called dillon they sent him a new switch no charge. He has been running for months now no problem.

I am not 100% but I thought all electrical stuff was a 1 year warranty from Dillon.

If the Casefeeder is less than one year old, the Casefeed motor is under warranty.

Try this before sending the casefeeder in. first, UNPLUG it. Next, remove the two bolts that attach the clear plastic funnel to the bowl. Remove the two wires attached to the microswitch(note which wire goes where first). jump these two wires together. Plug it in, turn it on, see if it turns. If it does, call or e-mail us and we'll mail a replacement microswitch. Otherwise the motor is probably bad.