Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winter National results?

Carlos

Checked S&W's website, as well as IDPA and the site links posted on www.glocktalk.com, sigforum.com, the highroad.org, sportshooter.com, etc and it appears that no has calculated the results of the IDPA winter nationals (or if they have, no one bothered to post results). It only takes a moment to post to the web. WHat's up? WHo placed where? How long does IDPA normally take to calculate who won the Nationals? Thanks & looking forward to posting of the results. Regards, C.

Carlos:

The match was well run and just challenging enough to allow you to hang yourself if you chose. There was too much 3 on each or 2 body - 1 head targets for my blood, but then that is just personal preference. There were a few movers in the match, and two of them got to me big time (1 hostage, 1 miss).

As for the guns of the top x.

CDP

Langdon - Totally cool Sig 220 ST.

ESP

Jarrett - Para - not sure what model though

SSP

Sevigny - Glock - not positive, but probably a 34

Strader - probably a Glock and knowing phil, probably his 22 with full power loads.

Haught - Bereatta 92 SD / Blade-tech (I think)

Olhasso - Beretta 96 Vertec / Blade-Tech

Pollard - Beretta 92 Elite II / Blade-Tech

Revolver

Jerry - S&W of course

Hey Dave,

Sorry I missed you in MA.

Believe it or not, I didn't use my duty gun this time, but I did use one from the USCP vault! I learned my lesson from last year, and used a Glock 17 with some 147 grain, N310 loads at about 128PF (thanks "Carlos"). I shot OK, with exception of my 4 misses and my inability to see at night!

My equipment was pretty ugly, but diverse: DeSantis Holster, Galco belt, and Safariland Pouch.

Dave shot great, with exception of the first stage, and used a G34 with the usual Kytac gear.

Todd J shot a Para P18 LDA with a Dawson/Jarret Magwell. Todd got hosed on one stage where he shot 3 head shots on every target, instead of 2 & 1, occuring 4 misses.

The match was very fun. I personally would've liked to see less complicated (unsafe) stages - a 25 yard long field course, using a light, reload, 3 shooting positions comes to mind. One of IDPA's supposed attractions is the simplicity for new shooters, but some of the stages at this match left me shaking my head!

Other than a couple of stages, my hats of to the staff of another incredibly run, and thought out match!

See you next year!

Phil

Unsafe?!?!

That stage was very safe compared to Stage 8. That was the stage with six different shooting positions where you had to shoot the members of the "other" clan w/ 3 on each.

Well I hit the polished concrete 3' x 3' patch (read, EXTREMELY slippery) running full tilt. Once second I was coming to a stop and sighting in on the correct target, next second my feet were knocking into the prop wall in front of me as my ass and elbow slammed down to the concrete floor.

but I still had a good time.

Todd got hosed on one stage where he shot 3 head shots on every target, instead of 2 & 1, occuring 4 misses.

:angry: This is one of the few things that I really dislike about IDPA. :angry:

This exact issue came up in my local club so we contacted IDPA HQ and were told "The body is not part of the head so a specified head shot that lands in the body is considered a miss. However, the head IS a part of the body so a shot that hits in the head zone is considered a valid body shot."

I'm not at the computer where that message was received or I would quote it in it's entirety. At the very least these "clarifications" to rules questions should be recorded at IDPA so everyone gets the same "clarification".

At the match there were some stages that specified two to the body, 1 to the head, where they said they'd score the best three hits as long as at least one was in the head --- i.e. three head shots would get you a perfect score. But then there was at least one other stage --- The start in a bed low light stage comes to mind --- where they were scoring the two best hits on the body (not including the head) and up to 1 head shot. On that stage three head shots would get you two misses. I got burned by that last year --- so I made sure to ask at every stage this year; in my opinion this could have been easily resolved with 1.) a consistent approach, or 2.) making it really clear during the walk-through.

Ok, I'm a numbers guy and I'm looking thru the results. Either my computers on the fritz, or someone accidently took 100 sec's off Miculek's time because .... There's no freakin way! Seriously, Can anyone point me to a film clip? I'd like to see his reloads.

Around here we differentiate with body shots and center of mass shots. Body includes the head, but the head is no part of your center of mass.

Never hurts to ask, or shoot towards the last and wait for someone to find out the hard way B)

Ok, I'm a numbers guy and I'm looking thru the results. Either my computers on the fritz, or someone accidently took 100 sec's off Miculek's time because .... There's no freakin way! Seriously, Can anyone point me to a film clip? I'd like to see his reloads.

No, no one took any time off of Jerry Miculek's time. He really does shoot and reload that fast.

As far as head and body shots go, IDPA does it no differently than USPSA, take for example the "Mozambique Drill". It's two the the body, one to the head. If you shoot the head 3 times you get two misses.

:D