Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For those who having decided to "Take The Plunge" and spend $2000 or more for a pistol, what is the driving force behind your decision?

If you would have asked me 10 years ago about someone spending $2000 for a pistol, I would have asked "Are you smoking crack?"

What is everyones honest opinion on why we spend so much on this game? Think about it, for the price of ONE custom gun or a factory STI, you could honestly buy 3 to 5 Glocks that "might" be as competitive.

Why do we do it? Be honest

I was tired of tilting at windmills with a Tanfoglio .45 10-rounder in Limited. I was about to enter B class and I wanted to be a competitive B class shooter. And the B class competition had 18-19 round .40 STIs and SVs. It was pretty obvious you had to have one of those to be competitive in Limited. Most everybody pooh-poohed the Para Ordnance P16. I realized the benefit of #1) having a custom gun, and #2) having it built by a local gunsmith. Coincidentally, it did cost $2000, almost to the dollar.

$2000 seems like a lot of money, but I'll bet if one really accounted for inflation properly, that a custom S_I is priced on par with the craftsman-built "factory" guns of yesteryear. A new Luger would be a $2000+ gun today, easy. Owning 20-30 guns is nothing these days. It used to be that you had one, and only one handgun or any type of gun for that matter just because the cost was so high. Frankly, S_I's aren't even comparatively expensive really. There's all kinds of people plunking 2-3 grand down on custom singlestacks.

Finally, having a gun that actually fits you and actually natuarally aims where you point it is priceless. It cuts down tremendously on the learning curve and associated frustration. It also helps your technique when you're trying to build your freestyle platform.

Personally, I think people freak out way too much over the cost of custom handguns. You can generally recoup 50-70% of the cost after a few years shooting. Try getting that return on one of the $40,000 pickup trucks people seem hell-bent on buying these days.

This month begins year six on my first $2,000 gun. The amortized $333 per year is nothing compared to match travel expenses, bullets, primers, powder, etc.

I could probably sell that gun for $2,001 tomorrow here in CA... $1,200-1,600 elsewhere.

Oh yeah, I haven't worn anything out on it besides recoil springs. (Unless you count breaking rear sights as wearing them out.) Five year old trigger job. Original barrel.

I bought my first Open gun used - it was only $1000.

My second Open gun was built out of parts won at matches from my $1000 used Open gun, I only paid labor.

For $1000, I could have bought an off the shelf pistol and had it modified... We really carefully checked into the pricing and discovered for the same amount of money that WE COULD have a custom built gun - twas a no brainer for us.

I'm currently getting ready to have a Limited gun built, from parts won at matches...

1. A well crafted gun eliminates many (not all) variables

2. I had the money; I was able

Other than tuning magazines, a tweek on my ambi's and a (recently) loose ejector - the gun has been 100%. BTW - I paid less than $2k for my SV new, so all the better.

I bought a > $2000 gun because it was the best I could find and it is the "state of the art" as far as equipment goes for this sport.

In any game there are two limiting factors: ability and equipment. I believe in trying to optimize both and one is much easier to do than the other :lol:

I also happen to appreciate "functional works of art" and some of the guns in the $2-5000 range look really pretty.

The secret to not having to consider this kind of question is to move to shooting from an activity that is *much* more expensive and then all the costs involved with shooting seem perfectly reasonable :wacko:

Kevin

Like Eric said. The gun is really irrelevant cost in compared to the rest of the shooting costs. So why not have the best? You will spend multiples of that 2K on ammo and everything else with range fees when you think about it.

Think about it, for the price of ONE custom gun or a factory STI, you could honestly buy 3 to 5 Glocks that "might" be as competitive.

Why do we do it?  Be honest

OK YOU be honest, an USPSA ready Glock is about $975 (Gun $550 (new) sights $130, trigger job $30, barrel to shoot lead $200, mag well $40, guide rod $25 . So more like 2 Glocks per custom gun.

Honestly my SVI will last much longer, and by the time you do all the mods to a Glock they aren't all that cheap, so the bang for the buck is about the same. It is not about the gun being competitive, I am the competitor.

As far as the money goes, the gun isn't the "big" expense in shooting, the shooting is, and from my logo of my gun, it looks way cooler than any glock B)

Another aspect not yet covered is the psychological, where you know that all of those guys kicking your butt are doing it with $2,000 guns and the guns must be the reason. We all know that it is easier to acquire skill by getting a better gun ... right?? After you buy the gun you will likely still be losing to the same guys but you will look better while doing it. You will also have one less excuse as to why you are not shooting up to your potential. It may actually force you to PRACTICE as not to embarrass your new gun!

Leo

BTW, I have (2) of those over $2,000 guns in my gun bag, just in case one should quit during a match.

Because I wanted an Open blaster for the optic and open guns are expensive. I also like to know I am buying the best stuff available and it will run. Then there is the quality craftsmanship issue...I like nice guns.

Spending two grand on a pistol seems reasonable compared to $11,000.00 for a new 900 Polaris snowmachine or $35,000.00 for a walleye boat.

I wanted a better tool for the job.

If you're serious about moving up into the ranks, you'll spend what it costs to compete. If Sevigny would start using a S*I, even he would place better (scary thought).

"Finally, having a gun that actually fits you and actually natuarally aims where you point it is priceless. It cuts down tremendously on the learning curve and associated frustration. It also helps your technique when you're trying to build your freestyle platform."
WEll put. The gun HAS to fit near-perfectly in order to perform with you.
"As far as the money goes, the gun isn't the "big" expense in shooting, the shooting is, and from my logo of my gun, it looks way cooler than any glock "
Point well noted.
1. Pride of ownership

2. We like them

3. Snob appeal

4. Cause we can...

Yep.
"I also happen to appreciate "functional works of art"..."
Amen.

Well, I wanted equipment that wouldn't hold me back, and it's an entertainment expense. Pretty much any equipment-based sporting activity will get you to $2K in a hurry if you want to have top-drawer gear. (see: windsurfing, mountain biking, golfing, etc)

And a bit of math (never do this), tells me that I'm spending a bit under $100/K feeding my open blaster. 50K rounds of that is twice what the gun cost, let alone travel, match fees, targets, range fees, etc, etc.

My father taught me to save my money and buy the very best I could. I have never been sorry for that advice.

My gun costs are nothing compared to my hi end audio/video equipment which I never thought I would own.

An example of my madness;

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vrline/VR-8M.HTM driven by an all KRELL system.

Worth every penny! If your in the Philly area come and give a listen!

IPSC is racing ... which brings us to our quote of the day from "Days of Thunder"

"There's nothing stock about a stock car."

How long would it take before an off-the-shelf gun became practically custom from replacement parts when subjected to an 800 round per week schedule? Those guns are built to sit in someone's closet or nightstand to be brought out to "go shooting" where a high round count is breaking down and buying that second box of 50 rounds at the local indoor range.

I have spent the $2000 plus, but I am waiting patiently for it to arrive. Can't wait! There have been several "justifications" for the purchase of an expensive gun, but what about just pure enjoyment and plain fun? I have been shooting limited 10, and those dang limited and open guns look like soo much fun, that I had to give it a try. Not only does it look fun, but I was able to have the gun built with everything that I wanted, by someone that can do it right the first time! B) I guess that is how I justify it to my wife!

I was not even planning on getting a new gun when I found I deal I couldn't beat. I had been using a stock Hi-power .40 in Limited 10 and had looked at the STI and SV's but could rationalize spending so much since I had just started(Not to mention convincing my wife).

Then I found a local listing for a SV 40 with accessories for $1100. When I called the guy he told me it also came with 4 hi-cap mags, USA speed holster and 4 mag pouches, a Dillon Square Deal, 2000 bullets, a few thousand brass, and 8lbs of powder.

Suddenly I found my self with an awsome limited gun that has run 100% and am also now reloading my own free ammo. Now if I can just find time to practice. :D

Jason