Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The worst gun I ever dealt with was Ruger Mk II. Those things are a bear to put back together. Everything else has been pretty easy since then.

You just have to know the secret knock.

I was in a gunstore once and there was some guy in total despair because he couldn't get the mainspring housing to go back in place. The know-it-all dealer fussed and fussed with it for 15 minutes and finally gave up. I finally asked if I could give it a whirl. Turned the gun right side up. Lined up the hammer strut. Snapped it shut. 30 seconds later the customer was ecstatically happy and the dealer just gave me a dirty look.

First gun I learned to detail strip was a 1911. I believe I just looked at one of the those generic assembly/disassembly books that shows how to take a part a bunch of guns.

I don't think my dad quite believed me when I said was taking apart his .45 (it seems my parents had a hard time believing anything I said when I was 8-11 years old). When he saw I did, he just said I better be able to put it back together, since he didn't know how. I've since found Jerry Kuhnhausen's books worth their weight in gold for learning about how the 1911 works.

Other guns since have often been largely trial and error. Luckily, I'm fairly mechanically minded.

You just have to know the secret knock.

I was in a gunstore once and there was some guy in total despair because he couldn't get the mainspring housing to go back in place. The know-it-all dealer fussed and fussed with it for 15 minutes and finally gave up. I finally asked if I could give it a whirl. Turned the gun right side up. Lined up the hammer strut. Snapped it shut. 30 seconds later the customer was ecstatically happy and the dealer just gave me a dirty look.

Somehow, at the range where I teach, I've gotten the reputation of being the guy to go to when there's a gun problem no one else can figure out. One day the range counter guy came up to me, turned out a shooter on the line had a live round stuck in a Glock chamber, just slightly out of battery. And, he told me, "It's really stuck, the slide won't move, no matter how hard I try." He was thinking he might have to disassemble the gun to try to get it out. (Just how he proposed to do that, I was scared to ask.)

Went out on the line. Sure enough, Glock 19, slide about 1/4" out of battery. Gave it a tug, yep, stuck tight. Shooter says, "I don't know what to do," counter guy says, "I don't know what to do." I say, "Well, there's two ways to do this: the hard way and the easy way. The easy way is to grab the slide like this," I grasp the rear of the slide at the cocking serrations, overhand with my left hand, "then hit the back of the grip like this," and I slam the web of my right hand into the grip. The round pops out of the gun. Hand the guy his gun, grin at the counter guy, who says, "You the man, Duane."

Got that one from a Jerry Barnhart video on how to clear malfunctions, BTW.

I don't think my dad quite believed me when I said was taking apart his .45 (it seems my parents had a hard time believing anything I said when I was 8-11 years old). When he saw I did, he just said I better be able to put it back together, since he didn't know how.

I believe that one of the best - of many - things about the 1911 is it's the only heavy duty combat handgun that can be detail stripped by the skilled user without tools, using only their hands. When I've told that to some guy carrying a 1911 who didn't believe me, I've been known to pull their gun down to its component pieces, spread it out in front on them, then look at my watch and say, "Hey, gotta go! You remember how I did that, right?"

BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA! B)

"Well, there's two ways to do this: the hard way and the easy way. The easy way is to grab the slide like this,"

So what's the hard way?

Never ever met Mr. Engineer Hammer?

It can solve some pretty bad situations, the kind of: if it gets stuck hammer it! If it breaks, it was to be replaced anyway! :D