Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well I kind of thought this may go under GunSmithing but then again it's not. My question is how did you learn the termonology of guns that you know. I mean this inthe context of how did you learn to take your gun apart. How did you learn how to clean it? How did you learn the different parts of it? How did you learn to put it back together. I am just wondering as someone that has never taken either my Glock 36 apart or my new Para. I know how to take it apart on the Glock have just never done so. Please let me know how you did it. A self try/learn thing or did someone show/teach you. Thank you for all of your reply's in advance.

All things learned is in the persuit of more questions. :D :D

Happy Shooting

Paul Franklin

^_^

Operations manuals, books, magazines/periodicals, fellow shooters, gun dealers. However, I field-stripped my first 9mm (a Sig) by just looking at the operations manual. I field-stripped the first 1911 with the help of a fellow shooter at the local range (it was his gun, he was loaning it to me, and he knew I'd be into cleaning it after I used it... so he walked me thru it backwards and forwards). B)

That is always a cool thing when someone is willing to lend a hand. Thanks for the reply. I think next weekend it going to be a field strip both the glock and the para for some TLC. Thanks for the reply Sig Lady.

Happy Shooting

Paul Franklin

There are AGI videos. I know the one for the Glock is good for the first timers.

There are various videos that take you thru the tear down for the 1911...Clark, Wilson, etc.... Not sure if any cover the Series 80 parts of the Para (the extra saftey parts).

When I had the glock, I spent a great deal on GlockTalk as well as other googled sites with the word glock on it.

When I got the 1911, I initially spent over 8 hours in 1911Forums trying to sift through the info just so I can re-assemble my detail-stripped gun.

Soak up the info as much as you can. Check and cross-check them for accuracy/completeness. Pretty soon you'll have a handle on things before you know it. And never be afraid to ask questions (but you can sure spare the mods some grief by using the search function first :D ) . ;)

Tight,

I am usually pretty good. If I take it apart can usually get it back together with no problem. It's just the initial take down.

Flex,

I will look into the video's. Thanks for the tip.

Mcoliver,

Thanks for the tips. I will be-a-googlin today.

Thanks again to everyone for the reply's

Happy Shooting

Paul Franklin

I learned how to detail strip and reassemble a 1911A1 from my brother who was kind enough to show me and explain things along the way. Then he sat with me the first time I tried to get it all back together and it went okay. The second time (on my own), I used an "exploded" diagram of the parts and it was very helpful. I did get the sear spring caught under something and the hammer would not stay back (at all), but learning from that mistake was beneficial.

I learned how to disassemble the bolt carrier and bolt in my ARs from manuals. It's not hard at all.

I learned how to reassemble a S&W 686 from parts by trial and error once, but I doubt if I want to try it again because it was a long, long time ago. Now when it needs lubes, I just remove the plate on the frame and spray, then replace the plate and go for it.

Shooter Grrl

well if a man needs to know his limitations, I guess even a Grrl should know her's as well. LMAO,

when I asked my daughter in law if she could cook, she laughed and said she knew how to order room service. Kind of the same thing...

TL,

That was a GREAT response from her. LOL

AGlock 36,

I just saw that there are some of those videos listed in the classified section. Move quick if you want them...they are a steal (somebody will be getting a bargin).

I've always been the take it apart and see how it works kind. The first gun I ever disassembled/reassembled was a Ruger Mk 1. It belonged to a friend of mine's father and he was playing with it without his father's knowledge. No, I wasn't there! Anyway, his dad was the ass kicking kind and if he caught the kid it would have been standing only for a week. He had managed to get it apart but couldn't get it back together. No manual either. I think I was 10 or 11. I figured out how to put that thing back together and as far as I know his dad never found out.

Not exactly the pinnacle of childhood gun safety but there ya go.

Well, then a newbie (male) at the range two weeks ago wants to field strip his new Kimber for a cleaning and the fellow on duty behind the counter (who knows a lot of OTHER things) said he didn't know how to do it... then pointed to me and said, "She's the Kimber lady. She'll show you how." Hmmm. So I did. Didn't like the matte black finish, though... couldn't SEE what you were cleaning and it was sticky and stiff as a board. Bleh. If it's stainless you can see the dirt, for pete's sake.

Well, then a newbie (male) at the range two weeks ago wants to field strip his new Kimber for a cleaning and the fellow on duty behind the counter (who knows a lot of OTHER things) said he didn't know how to do it... then pointed to me and said, "She's the Kimber lady. She'll show you how." Hmmm. So I did. Didn't like the matte black finish, though... couldn't SEE what you were cleaning and it was sticky and stiff as a board. Bleh. If it's stainless you can see the dirt, for pete's sake.

I was at the range and a lady brought in a Walther she was going to shoot and asked for ammo. The clerk handed her Fiocchi and she complained that it "made her gun jam". So, the guy picked up the gun and started examining it. I could see what looked like tar coming off onto his fingers:

Clerk: "You do know guns have to be cleaned, right?"

Her: "My Husband always did that."

Clerk: "How long since he cleaned it?"

Her: "How should I know? We've been divorced for two years."

Many, many years of magizes, manuals, f***-ups with disassembly, and Hallock's .45 Auto Handbook. The latter taught me about my 1911s after I couldn't figure out how to put one back together. TXAG

AGlock36,

Reading your name I was a little surprised to see your interest in the 1911 tape. Here's an often-posted link to a 1911 disassembly/assembly site. I know it says “Kimber Series II” just ignore those parts that are Series II, all the rest are standard single stack 1911.

Ed

Everything that I do correctly in terms of my shooting skills and technical knowledge I attribute to Mike Moy. He was a master class shooter that ran the Thursday night practices at Target World in the late eighties.

Everything I do incorrectly I take full credit for.

AGlock36,

Reading your name I was a little surprised to see your interest in the 1911 tape. Here's an often-posted link to a 1911 disassembly/assembly site. I know it says “Kimber Series II” just ignore those parts that are Series II, all the rest are standard single stack 1911.

Ed

Actually for my name that is my carry and ccl gun. The 1911 "Para" was just purchased strictly for IPSC. But man I do like the way it shoots. Might have to pick myself up one for carry also. But that is where the interest comes from. I am going to start shooting it in L10 on the 17th of this month for my first match. Have put about 2000 rounds through it and just wanted to clean it up a bit. Thank you very much for the link. Very informative. Will have to study it some more. Thanks again.

Paul Franklin

There are only three guns I've ever known how to totally detail strip. In all three cases I learned from books. The 1911 I learned from a red covered 1911 book from the NRA. The Glock I managed to get my hands on a Glock Armorer's Manual. The Makarov was likewise a book on the topic - though it's been so long since I've pulled one apart I doubt I remember it. But the 1911 and Glock are engraved on my nerve endings.

I learned about detail stripping a 1911 from Bill Wilson's book, the Glock and S&W 41 from a couple of web sites, the Sig and AR from AGI videos, the 625from Jerry's video. Others like the shotgun, Sig PE90 etc mainly from their manuals. :)

Run n Gun--

Wow, that's the first time I've seen that particular Assembly/Disassembly site...! And probably one of the most definitive as well. Thanks a million. Particularly appropriate in my case. Learn something new every day (thank goodness). B)

I don't get it.

You mean there are actually manuals to help with this stuff?

I learned from taking them apart and laying the parts out on the bench, like all real men do!

Ok, not true. I did start out like this, but I pretty quickly learned there were better ways. I learned lots of bad habits, made lots of mistakes, then went and got a manual :huh:

Believe it or not, I've found the exploded diagram that usually comes in the box to be very helpful.

The worst gun I ever dealt with was Ruger Mk II. Those things are a bear to put back together. Everything else has been pretty easy since then.

Gun Geek, never take a Mk II apart unless you are some expert. I tried it once...$126 later Ruger had mine put back together good as new. If you leave a certain part out(not sure which) when you put it back together it will run full auto for awhile. Kinda neat till it quits working. It is very controlable though :P .

TXAG

• 2 weeks later...
The worst gun I ever dealt with was Ruger Mk II. Those things are a bear to put back together.

You might get a kick out an article I wrote that'll be appearing in Dillon's Blue Press in a month or two. It's called "A Box of Parts." And I will say no more at this time.