Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti 10rd Magazines - Too Tight?

Jim in WA

I bought some of the newer STI 10 rd postban .40 mags for loaders and shooting L-10 with my SVI Limited gun. These are the ones w/ a channel on each side so the rds all single stack. As new I could barely get 10 rds. in and even after break in, I can't seat them w/10 and the slide closed. They also sit below flush with my magwell and need a longer basepad.

Do these break in or are there some other tricks to make them work?

Jim

Jim,

I had the same problem you are. I trimmed on the follower, tried an Arrendo follower,cut a coil off the spring and cussed a whole lot. I emailed STI and they told me to do what I had already done. It boils down to this, if the first round staggers to one side you can only get 9 in it. If it staggers to the other side you can get 10 in it. It's the luck of the draw as to which side the first cartridge moves to. The solution was that STI made a deal with me and it involved high caps. I would try an SV mag before I went the high cap route but Brownell's doesn't show one so I can't tell if they exist.

You could always contact your Senators and tell them not to support the continuation to the '94 gun ban. That way you will be able to get high caps without investing a small fortune.

Kevin

As new I could barely get 10 rds. in and even after break in, I can't seat them w/10 and the slide closed.

Had the same problem with the factory Mec-Gar post ban mags for my Browning HI-Power. The mag makers are just stupid and lazy. They are so scared of litigation they make sure that the 10th round only goes in with a sledge hammer and don't consider the fact the mag will never insert with the slide forward.

Idiots..... :angry: