Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Up A Gritty Reset In Trigger

mcoliver

Hi gang. I was wondering if anybody has any other tricks to clean up a gritty/rough trigger rest.

Let's see, the following areas are already polished:

1. Disconnector face contacting the trigger bow

2. disconnector portion contacting the middle leg of the leaf spring

3. spring area in #2 is also polished and a bit radiused as well as the area contacting the sear leg

4. all areas in the trigger bow is polished

5. sear leg areas contacting the disconnector

6. trigger bow channel in the frame is slightly polished (probably need to hit it again with flitz)

I also noticed that the trigger tends to stick just a tad bit before reset. I bent the middle spring finger slightly away to decrease tension and it went away. But I still have that gritty feeling.

Any other areas I failed to cover?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Without removing much metal, you should polish the sides of the disconnect that scrub against the sear and the top of the lower pad in the disconnect that scrubs against the bottom of the sear legs. You should also polish the inner surfaces of the sear where the disconnect rides.

These areas should eliminate any remaining roughness.

Leo

I had a reset problen and BE suggested taking everything out except the trigger and rocking the frame back and forth. If the trigger doesn't slide nicely and cleanly front to back when you do that, pull it out and fix that first. It's a nuisance on an S_I frame, but it's worth it.

The best thing(s) to use, in this instance, are trigger "stones". The very fine stones will keep everything smooth, sharp and square where something like cratex or sandpaper have the tendancy to round off all of the corners.

Leo

Really appreciate the suggestions guys.

I noticed my aluminum trigger pad has rub marks due to the (steel) frame. I take it I should also polish the inside surface of the frame contacting the trigger? Do I need to radius the edge on the frame hole where the trigger pad goes in, it's kinda sharp.

Thanks a lot.

mcoliver,

I am willing to bet if you polish the top and bottom of your trigger shoe your reset problems will go away. Be careful not to remove much metal as the trigger will have up and down play then. Usually you don't need to do the frame contact areas but you can. Brownells does sell stones to polish the trigger tracks but I have had good success with some 600 grit sandpaper wraped carefully around a small square file.

Dan