Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blatant thread drift on>

There is no end to the b.s. rhino is capable of, uh, expounding upon. My engineers, on the other hand, are skilled in sh*t-flows-downhill mechanics. Fascinating stuff. Soil mechanics comes into play there, too, occasionally... especially when a culvert project overflows all over some homeowner's newly built yard and garage. :lol:

</blatant thread drift off>

Don't tell me you are studied in Soil Mechanics as well as being fluent in Prancing while wearing your Purple spandex and matching feather boa.

Nah, but I was around that type of ne'er do well on a regular basis for many years. You learn to keep an eye on those civil engineers because they are an especially tricky breed.

As a mechanical engineering student, my studies focused on thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and combustion processes. My initial research in grad school involved studying combustion instabilities in ramjet engines. When I gave my sister a tour of my lab, she very succinctly surmised that I was, in fact, a "rocket scientist."

Of course, the fundamental principles are the same ... and there must be some point where all mechanics of any deformable body or substance must meet ... continuum mechanics. Soil is particularly complex because it's a mixture of a variety of materials and the properties can vary widely over relatively small displacements. I wouldn't even want to begin modeling the dirt in my back yard, much less the movement of more serious chunks of earth under various stresses.

Simple Newtonian fluids are much simpler because the physical properties don't vary (or vary much) from one chunk to another as long as the pressure and temperature are constant. Adding multiple phases or mixtures (like slurries) and you dramatically increase the complexity and then things get uglier the farther you depart from the model of Newtonian fluid.

And at this juncture, it should be intuitively obvious even to the casual observer that I have no idea what I'm talking about, nor why I'm babbling about this stuff. :blink::unsure::lol:

There is no end to the b.s. rhino is capable of, uh, expounding upon. My engineers, on the other hand, are skilled in sh*t-flows-downhill mechanics. Fascinating stuff. Soil mechanics comes into play there, too, occasionally... especially when a culvert project overflows all over some homeowner's newly built yard and garage.

It is possible to summarize the entire body of civil engineering knowledge into a few, basic principles:

1. Dirt and Water Make Mud

2. Stuff flows downhill

3. You can't push rope

There are two related rules:

A. If it moves, it's probably broken

B. If it moves and you're the guy who designed or inspected it, you're fired

It is possible to summarize the entire body of civil engineering knowledge into a few, basic principles:

1. Dirt and Water Make Mud

2. Stuff flows downhill

3. You can't push rope

There are two related rules:

A. If it moves, it's probably broken

B. If it moves and you're the guy who designed or inspected it, you're fired

That is hilarious! :lol:

I've probably got some engineering friends that could be dressed down using that one... only problem is, no one that I know is very civil.

All that is good, but can you sell anything...

Only myself ... to the ladies ... :lol:

That is hilarious!

I only wish it were original! I don't know the origin, but it's something we used to cap on the Civil Eng majors when I was in school back in the mid 1980s. My school actually had chalkboards in the bathroom stalls and that's the kind of knowledge you'd find there. Well, that and the remnants of homework solutions from the guys who were just a little too hardcore.

Civil engineers are accustomed to being tricky, political and evasive... they have to deal with architects, general contractors, city planners, city councils, county agencies, state agencies, the railroad lines and the Dept of Environmental Quality. You couldn't get me into a civil engineering role for anything. Which is why I'm not an engineer. <_<

Skywalker--

I'm copying off your link and plopping it down on a couple of engineers' desks first thing Monday morning. THANX!

(ps--All (and I do mean ALL) the pictures on the walls at work were hung crooked. What's WITH these guys??!!)

My shooting team captain is a mechanical engineer, however. But that's way different... he shoots. B)

"B-Class Engineers"... LOL!! Just barely, I'd say, from the looks of our office. I honestly couldn't live with ANY of these guys! And I'm a fairly tolerant lass.

Avatar for my office-ful of civil engineers...? Small pile of dirty laundry, I imagine. And now that I happen to have the stealth-level power of a digital cam, I'll shoot a view of a couple of workstations. Bring a bulldozer if visiting.

Ok, allow me to still add a bit of engineering drift to the post, you won't regret it:

Three engineers are discussing who could have designed the female body:

The first engineer says: "Must have been a civil engineer! Look at the exquisite curves blended into a single shape. Everything spells accurate design in that project!"

The second engineer says:"Must have been a mechanical engineer! Have you looked at how many degrees of freedom are granted by each single joint or connection? It's a masterpiece of simplicity and functionality!"

The third engineer says:"must have been a chemical engineer! Only a chemical engineer could have placed the fun house near a waste ..." <_<

No room in this apartment for a roomie even if I wanted one... spare bedroom is brass storage/eBay shipping dept/photo studio. Only spare closet is now full reloading station, living room is massive office area/tech space. :wacko:

...THREAD DRIFT!!!....... <_<

Three engineers are discussing who could have designed the female body:

The punch-line I heard for this one was:

"A civil engineer. Who else would have put a sewage line right in the middle of a playground?"

oops ... oh yeah the Avatar.

This is short round from "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

Edited by short_round

More information about WHAT...?? The Avatar is only the tip of our icebergs. One can often learn more about why we chose our avatar by reading between the lines of our posts--let alone our thread drifts. Ah yes, much info to be mined beneath the surface. :P

More information about WHAT...?? The Avatar is only the tip of our icebergs. One can often learn more about why we chose our avatar by reading between the lines of our posts--let alone our thread drifts. Ah yes, much info to be mined beneath the surface. :P

Which is exacly what I have been trying to do. LOL. Both in this thread and others that you all have posted. Hmmmmmm can we say group thearpy. :D Well at least for me. HA HA.

Thank you everyone again for all the reponces. I truly appriciate them. While I have not been on here very long. It has been wonderful getting to know everyone on the limited basis that you can on the internet. I still dont know about that Purple Rhino guy. :D LOL. Again just messing.

Paul Franklin

:DThe "purple rhino guy" is our in-house stand-up comedian--and a pretty good one, too. Every club/forum/gang/patrol/squad should have a 'rhino' on board. Some of us spell relief: r-h-i-n-o.

LOL I figured but I bet that is what he says all the ladies say :o:D Have a wonderful evening

Paul Franklin

:DThe "purple rhino guy" is our in-house stand-up comedian--and a pretty good one, too. Every club/forum/gang/patrol/squad should have a 'rhino' on board. Some of us spell relief: r-h-i-n-o.

I should hire you to be my agent! B)

LOL I figured but I bet that is what he says all the ladies say

Oh, yeah! I need an emoticon that wiggles its eyebrows to insert RIGHT HERE.