Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sketchup Tips

Mark R

MarkCo

I like the two stages. How do you get them them on a form where you can write the stages description etc..?

How would you draw up a multi-gun stage that had long range rifle steel and short range handgun or shotgun targets all in the same course of fire?

How do you get them them on a form where you can write the stages description etc..?

Using the "export" function in Sk-up, select the 2D model and save the stage as a jpeg to your destination file. Copy & paste the jpeg to your Word document or PDF of the written stage brief.

FWIW... I tend not to "scale" the stages, so just think of a large 3-gun stage as "informational", rather than trying to show 100 yd rifle shots alongside 15 yd handgun targets.

MarkCo

I like the two stages. How do you get them them on a form where you can write the stages description etc..?

How would you draw up a multi-gun stage that had long range rifle steel and short range handgun or shotgun targets all in the same course of fire?

Centermass is right. File-Export-2D. Saves as a "PNG" file. Then I opened that in my photo editor, copied and pasted into my WSB template as an image. I attached a Comstock WSB template in Word if you need one.

As for 3-gun, I have to play with it some. I am thinking about doing two grid sets showing a distance in between. For instance, 40 yards of short range grid, a break line and 100 yards of LR grid. It won't scale exact, so the LR targets will be larger than actual scale. I laid in an aerial photo of one of the areas we set up a stage for RM3G at Raton and that worked pretty well in a top down view. I've used Sketchup for a total of about 3 hours, so there are probably better ways.

COMSTOCK.DOC

Mark,

When you move targets and especially fault lines make sure that you stay red/green axis (after you place a prop they will drop down if you dont move them staight forward, back, left, right not at an angle). If you only have to move a prop a short distance sometimes its beter to move it farther in the other direction and then back just to see the red/green lines. The other option is to do a copy/paste then the props can be move at any angle until you let go of them.

Good luck at the inaugural CRC match, sorry I wont be able to make the first one.

Matt

Mark,

When you move targets and especially fault lines make sure that you stay red/green axis (after you place a prop they will drop down if you dont move them staight forward, back, left, right not at an angle). If you only have to move a prop a short distance sometimes its beter to move it farther in the other direction and then back just to see the red/green lines. The other option is to do a copy/paste then the props can be move at any angle until you let go of them.

Good luck at the inaugural CRC match, sorry I wont be able to make the first one.

Matt

Thanks Matt. Still have a lot to learn. I've just been using copy/paste.

This may have been addressed elsewhere but, are there any completed stages that I can download to play with? I'm having some trouble figuring out how to lay things out.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?uq=1354797658344168684033638&scoring=m

Jim and I have been using sketch up for stage designs for a couple of years. Jim has a gallery on the sketch-up page with a lot of full stages listed on it and a TON of props/targets. I have almost all of the classifiers done in sketch up and did some of 2009 VA/MD and 2009 Area 8 stages if you want them.