Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sketchup Tips

Mark R

Just a few lessons learned to help speed up your learning process of using Sketchup in designing stages...

Sketchup Tip – Moving objects

Thought to remember when moving: moving an object involves selecting an object, selecting a reference point in 3 dimensions (I call it the “from” point) which is some location in the X, Y, and Z planes. You then move the object to a destination point (I call it the “to” point) again somewhere in 3 dimension X, Y, and Z plane.

To initiate the move process, press the SPACE key to select the arrow select tool and click on the object you wish to move. When you click on the object you will see a blue constraint box around the object indicating its limits in the X, Y, and Z axis. Using the Shooting bay with Props template I discussed on 30 Nov 2010, most of the objects are located on the Z plane or the ground level. To move an object, press M key to get into move mode (or use menu), select or click on the intersection of 3 planes of the constraint box (I use the front left bottom corner or front right bottom corner) of the blue constraint box. By selecting a lower corner, you are already on the ground or Z plane. When you move the object, you are now only concerned about the X and Y destination or “to” location. Move your mouse to a point on the grid which is the ground level Z plane and click again. The object should move ok.

The hairy part comes when the destination is in a confined location that has a lot of props. If you try to move an object to a point behind an existing prop, Sketchup will think you want to move the object to a point on the prop, resulting in a floating object. To remedy this, rotate your view around the stage to get a clear view of the object move path.

If the object tends to either float in the air above the ground or sink into the ground after the move, see my Sketchup Tip – Fixing floating or sunk objects.

:rolleyes:

Sketchup Tip – Fixing floating or sunk objects

If you attempt to move an object and use a point that intersects 2 planes for the “from” location (i.e. the edge of the constraint box instead of a corner) the point may be above or below ground level. After you move the object, the object may float above ground. To fix this, I rotate my view closer to level ground, select move and click on a floating lower corner of the constraint box, move object to grid or ground level, and click again to set the object on the ground.

If object is sunk, I select an edge (intersection of 2 planes of constraint box) above ground level, move it up so object floats, and set it. Then use the float fix above.

:rolleyes:

Sketchup Tip – Rotating Objects

Once you move an object(s) into place, you will need to rotate them for proper display/presentation on the stage. Considering the object is “on the ground” or Z plane, select the object using the arrow tool, then select the rotate tool or Q key. Click on a 3 plane intersection again as if moving such as front, left, bottom corner (mouse holdover should say “endpoint in group”). When you mouse over on the object using the rotate tool, you should see a Blue protractor…blue indicates you are rotating about the Z plane or ground level. If it turns red, green, or black, move your mouse around until you see the blue one. Select the corner by clicking once. This is your “rotate around” point. Next I select/click the front right bottom corner as the reference rotate degree point. Move the mouse around the ground until the prop rotates to the proper angle and click again. If while in the rotate process you decide to not rotate, just press ESC and the prop will return to original position.

GOOD LUCK FOLKS...hope it helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I spend most of my day modeling in 3D cad software, but I can't figure out how to make sketchup a useful tool. I downloaded your USPSA template, with the bay and all of the props. I've managed to delete what I didn't want, move stuff around, and make copies of the targets I wanted to use. How do I change the size of the bay? And how do I turn off the grid and the background so I can export a JPG that is useable?

Thanks for your help.

I spend most of my day modeling in 3D cad software, but I can't figure out how to make sketchup a useful tool. I downloaded your USPSA template, with the bay and all of the props. I've managed to delete what I didn't want, move stuff around, and make copies of the targets I wanted to use. How do I change the size of the bay? And how do I turn off the grid and the background so I can export a JPG that is useable?

Thanks for your help.

Really no reason to resize the bay, that would take some time to do.

As for the grid...go up to menu on top of Sketchup, under Window menu option, select layers. When the layers dialog pops up, uncheck the Grid Visible checkbox.

But if you need to know how to re-size the berm...you need to unlock the berm entity.

Pan out so you can see the entire grid...Select it (it should turn to red outline) and then right click on it...select unlock. Then move,size, modify as you need.

Edited by Mark R

But if you need to know how to re-size the berm...you need to unlock the berm entity.

Pan out so you can see the entire grid...Select it (it should turn to red outline) and then right click on it...select unlock. Then move,size, modify as you need.

I would like to have bays in the computer the same dimensions as the bays I setup on. IMO, that's the advantage of using a 3D tool for stage design. If I just wanted to get a rough idea of the layout, powerpoint is much easier to deal with.

I can unlock the group, and move individual faces of the berm, but it just causes a big mess. Some things are tied to each other, and some things aren't. I haven't figured out what I need to grab to change the overall dimensions of the bay.

I would like to have bays in the computer the same dimensions as the bays I setup on. IMO, that's the advantage of using a 3D tool for stage design. If I just wanted to get a rough idea of the layout, powerpoint is much easier to deal with.

I can unlock the group, and move individual faces of the berm, but it just causes a big mess. Some things are tied to each other, and some things aren't. I haven't figured out what I need to grab to change the overall dimensions of the bay.

After you explode the berm...try using the push/pull tool. Pull the bay side wall in. I haven't tried it yet, but it may work. I'll look into it this weekend...will update when done.

After you explode the berm...try using the push/pull tool. Pull the bay side wall in. I haven't tried it yet, but it may work. I'll look into it this weekend...will update when done.

It does, however it's MUCH easier to pull than push.

I tried SketchUp before and just could never really get it. It took me way too long to do anything.

So, I just downloaded version 8, and downloaded your prop bay, but no matter what I do all the props

turn blue and I can't move a thing. Sketchup makes my head hurt. It has to be the most counter-intuitive

software ever designed.

I tried SketchUp before and just could never really get it. It took me way too long to do anything.

So, I just downloaded version 8, and downloaded your prop bay, but no matter what I do all the props

turn blue and I can't move a thing. Sketchup makes my head hurt. It has to be the most counter-intuitive

software ever designed.

I agree. Things keep moving below ground. I like the concept, but I can't get it to behave the way I want it to. I wish it would let me do things by coordinates: Move this target 8" in the x direction, rotate it about z 45 degrees. Now I feel like I'm just guessing at where things are going to end up.

It's funny to hear you guys who draw in some other type of 3d program not liking sketchup.

I have to draw in 2d cad occasionally and I usually draw it In sketchup first just to get my proportions right then redraw it in cad once I have everything done in SU. I find SU so much easier than cad.

Just what we are used to I guess.

I agree. Things keep moving below ground. I like the concept, but I can't get it to behave the way I want it to. I wish it would let me do things by coordinates: Move this target 8" in the x direction, rotate it about z 45 degrees. Now I feel like I'm just guessing at where things are going to end up.

The problem is you are selecting the object somewhere in the world...not on a corner, and moving the point you selected to the ground...causing the object to sink into the ground.

Try this...select the object (it turns blue indicating you selected it). Now with the move tool, select a lower corner of the object (a point on the bottom of the object that will be placed on the ground) as your first location, then move it to a line on the grid. Before you let go of the mouse button, make sure it says something like "...on surface".

When you move objects you have to remember that you are moving a point in space/3 dimensions to another point in space/3 dimensions. The first point you select will result in object being moved above ground or below ground if your first selection point is above the ground level (not a lower corner point on the object).

It's hard, but once you understand the concept, it gets easier to move objects.

Hope it helps.

You have to use the move tool (the one with the four arrows)

That's what I'm using. My cursor turns into the four-arrowed shape. But, as soon as I get into

the shooting bay everything goes blue. I think Sketchup thinks the entire shooting bay and everything

in it is one object.

I will eventually post a picture of my monitor with one 9mm hole in the center if I keep this up.

The problem is you are selecting the object somewhere in the world...not on a corner, and moving the point you selected to the ground...causing the object to sink into the ground.

Try this...select the object (it turns blue indicating you selected it). Now with the move tool, select a lower corner of the object (a point on the bottom of the object that will be placed on the ground) as your first location, then move it to a line on the grid. Before you let go of the mouse button, make sure it says something like "...on surface".

When you move objects you have to remember that you are moving a point in space/3 dimensions to another point in space/3 dimensions. The first point you select will result in object being moved above ground or below ground if your first selection point is above the ground level (not a lower corner point on the object).

That helps. I've been frustrated that my stages all have floating and/or buried objects that look fine from one angle and then defy the laws of gravity from another angle.

BB

Barry...I had those issues until I tried something else...try zooming in lower to the ground before you do the move thing. sometimes when you are high in space and try to move, the software tries to do what it thinks you want to do, but doesn't quite figure it out correctly. By viewing lower to the ground, now you can move object "down to earth". Try getting the view lower and see how it works.

How do you get Sketchup to stop thinking of the entire shooting bay and all the props as one object? If I use the "move" function, everything moves, bay and all. I am unable to select any single item, its all or nothing. Is there a way to "ungroup" it or "explode" it or something? I'm using the new prop bay as my default template, and this is how it opens when I open Sketchup. I didn't have this problem the last time I tried to use Sketchup. I could at least copy, move, and paste things, but not now. I'm actually regressing. Its the work of the devil I tell you.

How do you get Sketchup to stop thinking of the entire shooting bay and all the props as one object? If I use the "move" function, everything moves, bay and all. I am unable to select any single item, its all or nothing. Is there a way to "ungroup" it or "explode" it or something? I'm using the new prop bay as my default template, and this is how it opens when I open Sketchup. I didn't have this problem the last time I tried to use Sketchup. I could at least copy, move, and paste things, but not now. I'm actually regressing. Its the work of the devil I tell you.

sounds like you need to just down load the blank stage template and start over. the move function seems to work better when you just want to move a short distance. i use cut and paste for big moves. the move function seems to want to jump to an "edge" of another object or a section on the "grid". when selecting multiple objects, make sure you don't select the grid or berms this will mess you up for sure. sounds like every thing has been "selected". find a spot and select it, hopefully this will unselect every thing else.

the group and explode is use to modify a component. if you are modifing a component, be sure to make if "unique", or the multiple same components will be modified as well.

good luck.

lynn

p.s. i finished sketchuping the area 2 stages and have posted them to the 3d warehouse, just search for "godsmack".

Sounds like your template may have all objects selected once and you saved it as a new template. If you saved it as a template when all object were selected, then it will open that way. Be sure to update (resave as template) your template after you ungroup or you will run into it again next time you open the template/SketchUp.

Try this...zoom out so you can see entire bay and props, click on an object, when they all turn blue (indicating all is selected) right click on it, select Ungroup. This should ungroup all objects. Then click outside of area somewhere to un-select all.

If working correctly, you should be able to click on a single object/prop in the bay and the bounding box around it will turn blue...but only that object.

Edited by Mark R

If working correctly, you should be able to click on a single object/prop in the bay and the bounding box around it will turn blue...but only that object.

That did it! The command is actually "explode" when you right click in case anybody else has a similar problem. The reason I didn't see it sooner was that I have to right-click and hold the button for a few seconds before the drop-down menu appears. I tried to right-click and when I didn't get a pull-down right away I figured there wasn't one.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a Sketchup scholar. Thank you.

Now I just have to master the art of moving objects without burying them 3' below the ground surface, causing them to disappear.

Now I just have to master the art of moving objects without burying them 3' below the ground surface, causing them to disappear.

You're Welcome.

Just remember to re-save your template after you get it fixed.

Also...read my original post up top for moving objects and fixing sunk or floating objects...the trick is to get a low near ground level view and have the from/to path clear when you go to move things around. Sometimes i have to move an object 2-3 times to get it where I want it (move it, re-position view, move it again).

That did it! The command is actually "explode" when you right click in case anybody else has a similar problem.

Use Caution: Explode allows you to edit the object...i.e explode the entity into pieces. If more than one object of the same exists on the drawing, the modification will makes changes to all the same. Un-group ungroups objects that may have been grouped together to create a single entity (good for moving multiple objects) or arrays.

So watch when you use explode vs un-group. I always try un-group first...unless I know I want to modify the object in question.

• 2 months later...

I've used PowerPoint and Word to make stages in the past. I know how to use CAD/CAM, Pro-E, etc. I just did two simple stages on Sketchup. It worked great, seemed very intuitive to me. Needed a few tricks provided herein.

The first stage, I deleted all the extra stuff. Then next one I just adjusted the pan and zoom to move the items out of the frame. My boxes need some work.

Stay or Go WSB.pdf

Gas & Brakes WSB.pdf