Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

25 yard..draw, fire, 3" circle....whats a good time?

Panic Flinch

I was shooting at 25 yards today (open gun)....and I was wondering if anyone has tried this as an accuracy drill and if so what a good time would be. From the holster, at 25 yards...draw and fire, hitting a 3" circle with a very high percentage rate...say 70% plus. I'm just curious. Is anyone doing this regularly at sub one second times?...reliably? Thanks for sharing what would be a fast/slow time... Thanks, Parabellum

TGO....something like 1.1 - 1.2 seconds....regularly.

Me...something like 2.1 - 2.2....fairly regularly.

You...if you can get somewhere between...be happy. smile.gif

edited to add.....a 3" circle @ 25y is one dinky a$$ target dry.gif

Edited by Jman

I was shooting at 25 yards today (open gun)....and I was wondering if anyone has tried this as an accuracy drill and if so what a good time would be. From the holster, at 25 yards...draw and fire, hitting a 3" circle with a very high percentage rate...say 70% plus. I'm just curious. Is anyone doing this regularly at sub one second times?...reliably? Thanks for sharing what would be a fast/slow time... Thanks, Parabellum

look at some videos of the gm's on youtube, you can always tell where the precision shots are on a stage because they pause...

3 inch sticker at 25 yards is no childs play.. most people can't make that shot consistently with all the time in the world :)

if you can shoot that shot consistently in 2 to 3 seconds your a bad motha f&$%%.

specially seance those type of shots is where most people can easily add 5 to 10 seconds to their run, or record a mike:D

seems to me that time spent trying to make that shot any faster than that could be better used to improve other more commonly used skills of the game.

cheers,

Los.

I was fooling around a week ago and shooting a US popper at 40 yards with my 9mm SV. From a ghost holster in was in the 2.0-2.5 range for consistent hits. Its about 1+ to get the gun up and then another second to get a stable clear sight picture.

I haven't tried 3in at 25y... I recall doing 18y A-zone halves (on a sideways target) and getting sub-second draws.

You will need a heck of an index/NPA for a smaller target at greater distance...repeatable and refined.

Another point, when the shot gets further out, many slow down their entire draw stroke. They go to the gun slower, they get it out of the holster slower and they take their good old time getting their support hand in position and poking the gun out there. Skip all that. Go with a nice, efficient, draw...same as always.

I haven't tried 3in at 25y... I recall doing 18y A-zone halves (on a sideways target) and getting sub-second draws.

You will need a heck of an index/NPA for a smaller target at greater distance...repeatable and refined.

Another point, when the shot gets further out, many slow down their entire draw stroke. They go to the gun slower, they get it out of the holster slower and they take their good old time getting their support hand in position and poking the gun out there. Skip all that. Go with a nice, efficient, draw...same as always.

Shoot slow.....everything else FAST! Accuracy at distance is something that I have to work on. A 3" target a 25 yards I don't know that I could see that with my eyes lol. We used to do a plate rack at 25 and I was doing that in the 1.3-1.5 when I was in A class If I remember correctly.

Shoot slow.....everything else FAST! Accuracy at distance is something that I have to work on. A 3" target a 25 yards I don't know that I could see that with my eyes lol. We used to do a plate rack at 25 and I was doing that in the 1.3-1.5 when I was in A class If I remember correctly.

You can shoot a plate rack at 25yrds in 1.3-1.5 sec :surprise::roflol:

I think he meant one plate not the entire rack.

I think he meant one plate not the entire rack.

I Know :devil:

What you can't? :devil:

What you can't? :devil:

I can only do it in 1.6 seconds :roflol:

Ok so I tried this today under the following conditions, low light (overcast at 4:15pm), my gun shooting about 3" high at 25 yards, SV 9mm, iron sights, Bladetech belt holster. We did't have any 3" targets so we shot the ends of soda cans. Times were in the 2.20-2.50 range.

This is way too precise. I think you would be much better off training yourself to become familiar with the pace it takes for a draw and head shot at 15-20 yards. Or a full target A hit at 50 yards.

You would never be required to shoot a 3" target at 25 yards in any match. Not even a crazy outlaw 3 gun match. I guess if you just had to shoot an A shot in a head in production division it could happen but come on there are so many more good drills out there.

This is way too precise. I think you would be much better off training yourself to become familiar with the pace it takes for a draw and head shot at 15-20 yards. Or a full target A hit at 50 yards.

You would never be required to shoot a 3" target at 25 yards in any match. Not even a crazy outlaw 3 gun match. I guess if you just had to shoot an A shot in a head in production division it could happen but come on there are so many more good drills out there.

That's true. But if you train to do something harder than you will probably ever have to do, it will make doing what you normally have to do easier.

be

Thank you all for the many responses and examples with times. I have been trying to shoot very accurately at distance so that I can really roll on the closer stuff. Similar to a baseball player who puts weights on the end of his bat and takes a few swings before stepping to the batters box. I know there will not be many actual instances where it will be required to hit a 3 inch circle at 25...but it was fun to practice. My best practice time would be spent working on the (fast) 15 yard double tap! I suffer tremendously there. Thanks again for all the responses. Regards, G

Edited by Panic Flinch