Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which aftermarket barrel for G21?

KevH

I've been shooting G21's for about five years now and want to start reloading for it to increase my practice ammo supply. I understand that the factory barrel chambers have a somewhat loose tolerance decreasing brass life. I also know that lead ammo is a problem in the due to the rifling in the factory barrel. It's for these reasons I'm looking for an aftermarket barrel.

So what are the differences between KKM, Wilson Combat, LWD and Bar-Sto? I'm leaning towards KKM right now. Please help me out.

Lots of threads about barrels. Each has it's following. I have used a KKM and LW. I preferred the KKM by a big margin.

In the end you don't need a aftermarket barrel at all for reloading a Glock. So don't let that be your reason. Also, I would not start off my reloading hobby using lead. It brings a whole new set of issues into the process that you may find frustrating as a new loader.

Kev, seems from reading your post that you're operating based on several things that a lot of people just "know" are true - Glock barrels have sloppy chambers, Glock barrels can't fire lead safely - that are not, in fact, true. Do a search and you'll find some great threads that will seriously up your knowledge level in these areas. You have come to the forum populated by the actual shooters, thus we KNOW. ;)

I agree with what everyone has said about not needing aftermarket barrels. For a new reloader, aftermarket barrels & lead bullets can be frustrating. I have aftermarket barrels for all of my Glocks but have recently switched back to the factory barrel in my G35. There was nothing wrong with it, they just have tighter throat dimensions and are finicky with certain types of lead bullets.

I have used KKM, Storm Lake & Lone Wolf barrels and out of all of them, the SL seems the most forgiving as far as lead bullets & reloading is concerned.

I really like my Storm Lake barrel in my G21 & my KKM 9mm conversion barrel in my G35, both I regularly use with lead bullets.

Edited by ChopperDoc

If you want to eliminate glocked brass, and shoot lead than aftermarket barrel is a great idea. I’ve heard a lot of folks running lead with stock barrels without issue to though. I’ve had great luck with KKM barrels and I wouldnt consider anything else for my Glocks

I understand that the factory barrel chambers have a somewhat loose tolerance decreasing brass life. I also know that lead ammo is a problem in the due to the rifling in the factory barrel. It's for these reasons I'm looking for an aftermarket barrel.

So what are the differences between KKM, Wilson Combat, LWD and Bar-Sto? I'm leaning towards KKM right now. Please help me out.

The tolerances are NOT loose. The actual dimensions are larger than some of the aftermarket barrels. Brass life is based on several factors and in a .45 ACP, the "Glock bulge" for normal pressure loadings is frankly a non-issue. Glock barrels DO lead up and CAN cause increased pressure with some lead load combinations. However, this is primarily a concern in the higher presure loadings. With hard (BHN of 20 and above) in the .45s, I have not ever seen an acutal leading problem. The batch of about 50 KB'd LEA Glocks that I worked on many years ago were using 12 BHN lead with a VERY fast powder at pressures that were +P.

For a drop-in barrel, the Wilson Combat is one of the best on the market. Not many people use them since they are only available for the G21 and G22. Yep, they list the G17, but I have never seen one in person, or in-stock. LWD and KKM are pretty good, with the KKM getting the nod for lead handloads since the LW has a tighter chamber. The Bar-Sto is the best of the ones you listed, but is more expensive and requires fitting. It also may be problematic for lead reloads due to tight dimensions. You can certainly buy or borrow "The Glock in Competition" and read chapter 4. You can shoot over the chrono and use the data to see if you have pressure increases and develop a rule for the number of rounds fired before cleaning. I'm the one that did a bunch of testing and documentation of the lead in Glock barrels when this all came up many years ago which is where chapter 4 came from, but your choice as to who you beleive.