Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge - Guide Rod Question

STInky

Hey Guys & Gals.....

I'm new here and am also just getting accustomed to my new STI Edge (hardchromed). I bought my Edge slightly used, less than 1500 rounds fired thru it. When I got it, I took it out and shot about 100 rounds thru it, functioned fine. These were Remington UMC 165gr. FMJ. Next I shot the same loads in a match, had a couple fail-to-feed problems. Then for todays match, I was out of the UMC loads and all I had was some Mag-Tech 180 gr FMJ. Out of 6 stages, I only had 1 stage that the gun ran all the way thru without a fail-to feed, and that was the last stage we shot.

I had a couple guys at the match tell me to get rid of the RecoilMaster guide rod and get a standard 1-piece guide rod. I had another guy tell me that the pistol may not be completely broke-in yet, and give it some time.

I'm not in to reloading, so I'm limited to factory ammo. Besides, I can get the UMC loads at State bid price (LEO) , which is about as cheap as reloading your own anyway.

Tell me what you guys think.....should I give the Recoilmaster more time, or trade it out for a one piece guide rod ? If I get a one piece rod, which one should I get and what lb. spring do I need ?

Thanks

STInky

some people dont really care much for the recoil master and prefer the old tungsten that came from factory before the recoil master..i love mine and it took a few hundred rounds to make it function smoothly. the standard factory OAL loads that you have must be the problem. have your recoil master tuned (round and smoothen the edges) by an IPSC gunsmith.. ;)

Would not hurt to invest in a Dillon 550 and load your own to 1.200 OAL. The loader and equipment will pay for itself in 1000 rounds, plus your feeding issues might magically go away. Mine did!

Cameron

There are several threads on this topic, but I say go with a standard guide rod/spring set-up. This is from a guy who had to break two RMs before learning his lesson. If you do go with the RM, buy a spare. That way you won't have any down time when you call STI for a replacement.

In regards to the OAL of the factory cartridge possibly being the culpret, I assume you are meaning that they are too long and maybe nosing in to the ramp ? Help me out here......Also, If I do decide to go with just a standard guide rod, what all parts do I need to install it with the bull barrel on my Edge ? Just the rod and the spring, or is there anything else that goes with it ??

No, factory ammo is too short for a 1911 like your Edge. The loaded rounds will move back & forth in the mag and travel really far before striking the feed ramp. You should reload ammo for that gun to get rounds as long as 1.200".

Factory 40cal ammo is almost always 1.125" - which is the length to go with if the gun is a Glock, Sig, Beretta, HK or similar. The 1911 needs longer. Also needs about .2 or .3grain more powder to get the same velocities as loads for a Glock.

---A round that's too long will occasionally hit the feedramp of the barrel & then just stop - the slide won't go all the way forward. Usually racking the slide gets you going again. If it happens in practice, keep the loaded round in your pocket and measure it when you get home. One particular mag may do this more often then other mags. Good reason to number your mags.

---A round that's too short for your gun can end up vertical, behind the chamber. Or it can end up with the bullet nose crushed into the bottom of the feedramp. Or it can end up smashed into the top hood of the barrel. Any of these 3 means major major *ouch* to your score for a stage of fire.

If you're just starting out I'd say skip the RM and tungsten - they both break much more often than steel. Use one shok buff - Ed Brown buffs are my favorite, they never ever break, just get discolored & ugly.

You already have a spring cap, buy one more just like it. And you'll need a paper clip for the standard 1-piece rod. Or buy this: http://www3.mailordercentral.com/shootings...sp?number=DP081

I have an answer that could only be consider "straight forward"... ;)

Ify ou are shooting an STI...get a Dillon press and skip that other crap.

It's not so much about what is cheap...it is about making what works.

:)

Get rid of the RecoilMaster, several of my shooting friends over here in the Netherlands purchased one.

Nothing than complaints, feeder problems etc.

A standard tungsten rod and a good grip cures all problems.

DVC, HS